Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed wobble still?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 AM
dbalogh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High speed wobble still?

It amazes me that folks even post about wobble when introducing the conditions like when you hit a bump going around a corner, or even cornering. High speeds should only been done going straight and flat and a slight winding curve. If your complaining about a wobble around a corner over a bump, get the hell of the road before you injure innocent people, you should not have a license.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be dead when i ride because i do not notice any wobble on my 08UC. Could it have anything to do with the tonnage some of us carry?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok so whats the general consinsus....True-Track, or Ride Str8..? I havnt put the kind of miles on my SG wherethe problemIthink it would become as evident as it is to many of you guys. I dont do a lot of high speed sweepers.....in fact 90% of my touring is either on the highway....or local roads where higher speeds are out of the question. Thats not to say I will not encounter the problem.....and if I do I want to know where to turn. It looks to me from just quick observations that the True-Track would be a quicker less painful install.....and it is a bit less then the Ride Str8....so what one has the most advantages???

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM
ffb
Tourer

there are many posts on this .

my does . and it does not matter what the radius of the curve is like if you are going over 70 to 75 mph.

i was going to try the str8 and the others but then,they induce added vibrations and what the hell ,the woobles make the ride more hair rising ,ergo more fun ?????????????

Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

my 07 ultra did the high speed wobble....above 100 km/h
i just hold tight the bar.....and keep the gas open....

Old 12-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Kreuzen
Cruiser

...on my second set of lops and have never felt a wobble during high speeds or running across grated bridge surfaces or rain grooves on my 05 RKC - shocks maybe?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a fairly agressive rider why would you buy a motorcycle with a RUBBER MOUNTED powertrain that is built for touring and complain about handling in corners? I have riden several with this issue and all are in corners at or around 80 mph. Makes sense to sue a company for not building in superbike handling caracteristicsinto it's touring model. It is what it is. JMHO.

I have theAcu-Trak on my bike and it still does it.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree alot do and some do not. I did find on a 2007 that the sverical bearing which are the same as Softail's, installed in 2002 and newer Fl swingarms, that were worn. This bearing is claimed to last the life of the bike and never needs lubrication. All that holds true for Softails. However this 07 had alot of play in the center bearing to outer race. This play was just enough to cause the bike to wander in long sweeping corners. We repalced and problem was gone. Might want to check. The new bearing is very hard to move and has almost no play.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
midlifepdx
Stage II

own 07 roadking 13000 miles original dunlop on front lots of tread, have developed noticable wobble when letting off throttle at about 65mph

Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
Progressive shocks may stop the problem!

I just installed new Progressive 416 air shocks on my 05 ultra and no more wobble in the turns, bottoming out or floating over big bumps!
I have Progressive 440's on mine and they didn't stop the tail-wagging. I don't see how shocks alone would eliminate the problem, as it originates with the lateral movement of the swingarm, and that isn't controlled by the shocks. The only thing that cured the problem for me was adding a stabilizer.

Newer bikes (2002 and later) have larger swingarms and axles, which helps compared to earlier bikes. I noticed less of this on my '07 SG compared to my old '96 RK.

Quick Reply: High speed wobble still?