Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed wobble still?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High speed wobble still?

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy405

Does the newer " 07-08's" still get a rear end wobble on sweeping curves like the older ones do? Like the ones you need a tru-track or ride srt8 for?
I've owned 2 dressers and a roadking and have never experienced the problem the way I see it described here. On rare occasions, I'll feel the hint of "rear stear" when leaning into a sweeper at 50 or more MPH ... and when it does happen, it's juts something I notice, not something radical and dangerious.
I'm thinking that this phenomena is over hyped ... or in some cases, people are woefully behind on their maintenance.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Iron Maiden
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10,000 miles on my FLHTC and I've had no issues. I experienced these handling issues on my past Goldwing but it was only because the tire was cupping (which by the way is caused by your rubber gripping the asphalt, contact patch)).

Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Macadoo
Intermediate

Yes they do! If you read some of the allogation on the lawsuits with HD it is not always at high speeds.
That being said, I tend to ride fairly aggressive and swear by Tru Track.Also, I became an flag waving believer when Iwas force to dopanic stop on our tollway. The bike made on small wobble and then straight as an arrow until I safely stopped.
Also, check front motor mount as many are "sagging" and HD and made change on all replacement mounts.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
HogBack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Panhead_1_9_4_8

I'm thinking that this phenomena is over hyped ... or in some cases, people are woefully behind on their maintenance.
You are right...this is the source of many front and rear handling problems...

Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy405

Does the newer " 07-08's" still get a rear end wobble on sweeping curves like the older ones do? Like the ones you need a tru-track or ride srt8 for?
They have some, but less than years with 3/4" axles. I installed the Ride Str8 and its now all gone except for that induced from countersteering.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What wobble??????????????? I have cranked 22K miles on an 05 Ultra and have no clue what wobble there is! Speeds ranged from 50 mph on 20 mph sweepers to 95 mph on freeways with grooves. maybe you are over riding your abilities? I dunno, but a wobble? Tank slapper or just a bit squirrley whe you press the edge?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:21 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is not a 'headshake' but a slow to moderate 'weave' or 'wobble' in sweeping turns above 50mph. Here in Houston there are lots of long, sweeping ramps and my 02 FLdid it consistantly since it was new. Took it to the dealer and was told 'they all do it'.....

Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never really felt any rear wobble on my '06 RK.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Patch
Tourer

Fastharley

What model harley are you riding?
I looked at the website for bushings and I did not see any for a 2005 Superglide
AlsoI am going to replace the rear shocks....I did see in the picture that you have an aftermarket swingarm.

My backround id sportbikes...yes I know it's a harley, but I would like it to handle a little better in the curves...so I am looking at swingarms,bushings , tires, and shocks.

Have you looked at the www.sputhe.com web site???

feel free to PM

Tom aka Patch

Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has a little wallow on 60 MPH + sweeping left hander's with rain grooves, it's not the tire I know that feeling, It's not like it scares it heck out of me ( well maybe the first time it happened) but it isn't the most confindence inspiring thing I've ever felt either It's not bad once you know it's there, but an STR8 is in my future though

Quick Reply: High speed wobble still?