Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Galfer/Lyndall rotors and pads- cosmetic or performance upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 01:51 PM
bm11
Cruiser
Received 119 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Galfer/Lyndall rotors and pads- cosmetic or performance upgrade?

I am wondering if anyone has any data on performance on the above two popular brake upgrades for Harley touring bikes. I'm sure that upgrading to larger rotors and radial calipers are real performance upgrades, just a bit more dubious that swapping out rotors and pads is.

Brand new bike and hence brand new brakes. Trying to figure out how important they are as part of my performance build this winter.

Thanks,

BM

Old 10-26-2022, 03:06 PM
BigDipper15
Club Member
Received 318 Likes on 170 Posts

I did updated calipers and rotors. Tons of improved performance but can't tell you how much is rotor and how much is caliper. Think the caliper plays a bigger role.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:11 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

On the 08+ bikes, there's really no need to upgrade those calipers unless you are VERY aggressive, doing track days etc, or just want the bling. They're actually a really good caliper for stock.
Pads will make a big difference, and the rotors definitely help. Theyll bite a little more and the biggest benefit is they wont heat up and fade as quickly. Galfer seem to get much better reviews for what its worth.

The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (10-30-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 08:06 AM
bm11
Cruiser
Received 119 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
On the 08+ bikes, there's really no need to upgrade those calipers unless you are VERY aggressive, doing track days etc, or just want the bling. They're actually a really good caliper for stock.
Pads will make a big difference, and the rotors definitely help. Theyll bite a little more and the biggest benefit is they wont heat up and fade as quickly. Galfer seem to get much better reviews for what its worth.
Thanks for the input! Bling is nice, but the "budget" on this project is getting out of control, so I'm trying to be reasonable where possible.

The following 3 users liked this post by bm11:
NoRegerts (11-02-2022), Puglia10 (10-28-2022), Stud Duck (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 10:36 AM
Darkstar_XIII
Advanced
Received 98 Likes on 37 Posts

In my experience, brake rotors (along with upgraded pads) make a big difference in both stopping power and the longevity of the rotor due to better heat dissipation and materials.

On my 2011 Road Glide, I warped two sets of front rotors. After doing some research, I found Lyndall and have had their rotors and pads on my last three bikes with no issue.

I recently changed from 11.8" Lyndall rotors/pads with the stock calipers to Galfer 13" rotors with Brembo radial calipers. I haven't noticed an improvement in stopping power or even brake lever feedback--but they sure do look cool. I'm still using the stock Harley master cylinder, may upgrade to an aftermarket radial setup at some point.

Last edited by Darkstar_XIII; 10-28-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Puglia10 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:04 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bm11
Thanks for the input! Bling is nice, but the "budget" on this project is getting out of control, so I'm trying to be reasonable where possible.
For budget, I'd run the stock stuff until they warp. Then I'd replace the rotors with either EBC or Galfers, with their matching pads and call it a day. No need to go radial.

Neggy ZRXOA 5248 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 01:10 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,152 Likes on 3,349 Posts

I just love the looks of the oversize Galfer waves!

I did upgrade to the Lyndall pads last time I did tires, can't tell any difference, really.

I am going for those Galfers, though. I put oversize wave rotors on my dirt bikes, it was always an improvement

Old 10-29-2022, 06:18 AM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Darkstar_XIII
I recently changed from 11.8" Lyndall rotors/pads with the stock calipers to Galfer 13" rotors with Brembo radial calipers. I haven't noticed an improvement in stopping power or even brake lever feedback--but they sure do look cool.
I find it a very useful info - thanks!

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Aren't waves on the bottom picture? If so, it appear to be Lyndall, no?

QUESTION:
those colored discs - gold or black - how do they look after few thousand miles?

Last edited by JED POLAND; 10-29-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:46 AM
Darkstar_XIII
Advanced
Received 98 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkstar_XIII View Post
I recently changed from 11.8" Lyndall rotors/pads with the stock calipers to Galfer 13" rotors with Brembo radial calipers. I haven't noticed an improvement in stopping power or even brake lever feedback--but they sure do look cool.
I find it a very useful info - thanks!
I should probably qualify this statement, the Lyndall rotors and Gold Plus pads--in my opinion--were a big upgrade over the stock rotors and pads. Going from the Lyndall to the Galfer is where I didn't see much of an improvement in stopping power. Stopping was good with Lyndall, it's still good with Galfer.

Originally Posted by NorthWestern View Post
Aren't waves on the bottom picture? If so, it appear to be Lyndall, no?
I think this is just a difference of marketing terminology, Wave is a patented description for Galfer rotors. The rotors in the second picture are described by Lyndall as Bow-Tie cut.

QUESTION:
those colored discs - gold or black - how do they look after few thousand miles?
The black came of of my rotors within the first 500 miles, which bugged me since I had Lyndall smooth rotors on two prior bikes and they did not lose the black coloring after thousands of miles.

Last edited by Darkstar_XIII; 10-29-2022 at 06:49 AM.
JED POLAND (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 07:39 AM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkstar_XIII
I should probably qualify this statement, the Lyndall rotors and Gold Plus pads--in my opinion--were a big upgrade over the stock rotors and pads. Going from the Lyndall to the Galfer is where I didn't see much of an improvement in stopping power. Stopping was good with Lyndall, it's still good with Galfer.

I think this is just a difference of marketing terminology, Wave is a patented description for Galfer rotors. The rotors in the second picture are described by Lyndall as Bow-Tie cut.

The black came of of my rotors within the first 500 miles, which bugged me since I had Lyndall smooth rotors on two prior bikes and they did not lose the black coloring after thousands of miles.
Short: thanks.

Quick Reply: Galfer/Lyndall rotors and pads- cosmetic or performance upgrade?