Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any More IDS Happy Campers?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Any More IDS Happy Campers?????

Originally from nvsteve:
Anybody put the IDS on a bike that didn't make the noises?
If so, did it change anything?

ORIGINAL: pittguy

NVSTEVE didnt we all install this kit on a bike that didnt make any noise??Yes it silenced mine also.
I'm lucky enough to not have any of the noises on my 07 Ultra. Just trying to figure out if there would be any advantage to me installing the IDS kit.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nvsteve, that's kinda what i was getting at. I really don't have a problem. Lucky I know, and not trying to rub it in to those that do, honestly. But wondering if in the long run it will make the bike last longer by cushioning some of the driveline hammering. Some report a much smoother bike also...which would be nice on those long 500 mile days.

While i realize it may add some wear items to the bike, the rubber pieces will need some looking after over time. It may just be worth it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

Just trying to figure out if there would be any advantage to me installing the IDS kit [on a noise-free machine].
Why not? It will soften each and every impulse felt by every component that must handle them. From the wrist pin to the rear tire contact patch.

The only possible downside I can see (beyond the additional unsprung weight) is there will undoubtedly be frequencies where the tune of the bushings in the IDS could set up harmonics which could cause more reactive impulse than would otherwise be present (though in the big picture the balance is still on the side of overall benefit).

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just had it installed at my dealer. Overall grade at solving the overall 07 clatter is a B IMO.

1. Can of rocks is gone.
2. Still hear the compensator working at some engine speeds
3. Ride is smoother.

Overall the bikes does ride better and the noise the drivetrain makes is greatly reduced.

Dealer installed including tax - 405.00 OTD.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

Just trying to figure out if there would be any advantage to me installing the IDS kit [on a noise-free machine].
Why not? It will soften each and every impulse felt by every component that must handle them. From the wrist pin to the rear tire contact patch.

The only possible downside I can see (beyond the additional unsprung weight) is there will undoubtedly be frequencies where the tune of the bushings in the IDS could set up harmonics which could cause more reactive impulse than would otherwise be present (though in the big picture the balance is still on the side of overall benefit).
I agree, less vibration of the hard parts, the longer the part life. Also in theory, since the rear tire receives less drive train shock load, it should last longer,yes? I can't feel much difference in rear suspension action.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Sent twice so I deleted it...sorry

Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting it done this weekend with my 10K service. My dealer takes two days to do the service because they also change the rear tire then. They like to keep it overnight to make sure there are no slow leaks. As far as service these guys are great!
I'll test it out Sunday and all next week since I ride to work. I also want to see if being able to shift into the higher gears at lower RPMs has any effect on my milage. I suspect that might be part of the reason that the 08's have higher estimated MPG numbers.

I'm hoping that the "rocks in a can" will go away and that driveline lash that I have noticed will be decreased. I've made note of the minimum speed I can shift into each gear solo and two up and will see what difference it makes.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

Well,here it is. I went to the dealer today and had them install my IDS. I ordered it from Zanoitt last week, it showed up on Monday this week. I called my deater and made an appointment to have it installed, theysaid about a hour to an hour and a half labor. While waiting at the dealer I was having thoughts about it not giving me the results I was expecting. 45 min later it was done. The dealer only charged me 54 dollars for the install. I fired it up and off I went. I kew the bike had cooled down so I wasnt expecting anything yet. Well 60 miles later in 98 degree heat and NO Noise, even the 5 gear whine is 60% less. I had a hard time telling when I was in 5th to be honest. I lugged it down to 30 mph in 5th, NO Noise! 40 mph in 6th, NO Noise! 50mph in 5th, NO Noise, No Comp Noise at all at any speed or gear, No clatter or chatter at all at any speed or gear. Bike vibrates 80%less and 6th is much more enjoyable. 65 - 70 in 6th and it is a joy to ride. Do yourself a favor and get an IDS. You will fall in love with your Harley again. Thanks to all of you who keep us bikers informed.

PS. The wrench that installed my IDS said this was the shops first and asked me to call him and give him the results.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kit is slowly making this group of posters smaller.Glad to hear this topic is ending for many.Some dealers dont seem to be gouging those having it done in shop too bad.Enjoy your new bike!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I orderd mine yesterday from Zanotti and they are onbackorder (Darnit). Now I gotta wait till next week. Its worth the wait to save $100 bucks.

Quick Reply: Any More IDS Happy Campers?????