Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One time chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007 | 07:47 PM
MJR
|
Tourer
Default One time chance

Got the one time only chance to buy an extended warranty. Is this worh it? About $450 a year four years in advance? Granted it is a used RG with 11k.Will it break down that much? I passed.

Old 08-17-2007 | 07:57 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: One time chance

I have an 07 and opted out of the extended warranty. I have two years to change my mind. By that time the 07 models will have been on the road for three years and I will be able to tell if any major problems start happening in relation to the heat or the tranny. If I start seeing a ton of major problems happening after long-term riding with the 07's I might consider getting it.

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:06 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

YOU REALLY OUGHT TO GET IT. USE IT A FEW TIMES AND YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE GAME. I USUALLY DO NOT DO EXTENDED WARRANTIES AS I THINK THEY ARE WORTHLESS. EXCEPT FOR THE HD ONE.

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:07 PM
capt775
Road Master

I agree with Monstermile, I passed too when I bought my Ultra. Mine was late production and doesn't have any of the problems some other owner are/have. I figured 2yrs to change my mind, and I ride everyday all year long. If something starts showing on other bikes consistantly or mine starts cra**ing I can concider buying it then.

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:30 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

IMHO there are a lot of factors to consider - I usually opt out of extended warranty's but elected to take the HD on my 07 Ultra. Two reasons: 1st I plan on keeping the Ultra for at least 5 years and ride/tour a lot, figured one use would probably pay for it especially if there is towing, overnight stay, etc. 2nd because of the tire / wheel coverage (if a blow out doesn't kill me in which case I wouldn't miss the $$ anyway).

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:31 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

It's a real hard decision to make. When I bought mine in late Feb of this year, I opted for the extended warranty and the service contract. I really pushed the limit of our finanaces to buy it and did not want any unexpected expenses to pop up. I haven't had to use the warranty yet, however the service contract is well worth it for me. I've got 10k in less than 6 months. My dealer is very good and their service depatment is exellent. Since Tires were included for three years , unlimited milage, it was a good deal for me.

Much depends on how good your dealer is. And your finances. I would ask your dealer a lot of questions. Especially about how he or she feels about after market parts.And whether they will honor those is you install them.

Federal Law states that they must prove the "after market" parts caused the issue to deny warranty. The same thing with lubes. As long as you use lubes that meet the SAE standards that Harley MUST specify in the manual, you are covered.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy, They gamble that you won't have to use it and you do.

This is one of those subjects that you can get a lot of different answers about.

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:33 PM
Dougger
Cruiser

They really love for us to buy the high commission items, like warranties. Do you need to give them another $2,000.00
I passed on my used "06 Ultra this spring.

Old 08-17-2007 | 08:36 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

On a USED Bike... 5 yrs old.... You Bet... Unless you know who owned it prior to you & how they took care of it...

It's like INSURANCE.... You hope you never have to use it.... But your glad you had it if you ever need it...

Old 08-17-2007 | 10:17 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

On the other hand, I've got a used bike, a 2000, with 30k miles. No warranty. No chance for a warranty. If anything breaks, I fix it unless it's something so complicated that I can't. I just figure it is part of owning anything, and not just a Harley. To be honest, I probably wouldn't shell out that much money for a warranty anyway, but I agree it's a personal decision. If you've got the loot and are leary of your bike, go for it. Otherwise, save the $$$ and ride. JMHO.

Old 08-17-2007 | 10:52 PM
Wags1
Tourer

Ask yourself a very simple question. Is the dealer really more concerned about protecting you and your finances out of some altruistic sense, or are they more concerned about making money for themselves? Extended warranties are HUGELY profitable for the dealers. That is why they push them so hard. Open an INGDirect account on line and deposit the $2K. At the end of 4 years you will either have had to tap the account for repairs or, more likely, you will have close to $2.5K to plop down ona new bike....

Quick Reply: One time chance