Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Rack Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM
scofield333
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tour Pak Rack Install

I am about to install a Tour Pak Rack on a new King Tour Pak, a bit nervous about drilling holes in the lid...anyone have any tips for installation and what would you recommed for a senlant as call for by the instructions?

Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Default RE: Tour Pak Rack Install

Here is what I did. Placed the rack on the tour pak. raised one leg at a time and put blue painters tape under it. Then I measured to make sure I had it where I wanted it and marked it with a pencil. I only drilled one hole and measured again. and then the next one. I guess you can tell I was a little nervous too. I used clear silicone on mine, a little on top some on the threads and on the bottom washers. I may have been a little over cautious. But it came out ok

Old 08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard people say to place tape on the tour pak where you will drill prior to drilling an use pilot drills. Good luck I wish I good speak from experience.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:21 PM
thebiker46
Advanced

Line up thetemplate correctly and drill holes. Use new or sharpened drill bit. I also supported the underside on each leg with large 1"-1 1/2"flat washers with correct hole size for screws. I epoxied them to the bottom for sealing. You will have to grind one side on 2 of them since they will be located near a recessed from the top. DO NOT tighten screws too tight or it will possible crack the cover. Also monitor the weight of bags you put on the rack.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM
cunfuzed
Cruiser

definately use painterstape! if the drill slips ----- scrrrrratch be in no rush use the template and mark the holes on the tape measure like 82,000 times than go for it! after your done you'll say huh! no big deal!!!! i also used a little clear silicone for sealant. pay extra attention to where you place the rack in case you want to add a spoiler later there are 2 sets of holes on the template good luck not really a big deal just be careful and take your time!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ez install.. keep rack 1 middle finger away from back rest.. use tapeand template drill holes..line up carefully.. that is the hardest part.. seal with any old clear silicone.. ive done many.. never a leak.. only a small crack once do to over weight on the top of the rack.. be careful of this.. ur paint may crack (spider) a bit if u overload !**** happens

Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
scofield333
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info, I just installed it with a little help form my brother, went well, the tape works really well. Once again thanks for the tips

Old 08-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went one step further and switched out the bolts for a domed phillips head screws. don't forget to loctite them!

Arvid

Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Place Bile Jiffy stand on a 2x4 or a center stand if you installed one - use Blue Tape (or paper tape) in the area when you want to place it.... Place the rack on the lid (on the tape) Mark the footing... Measure Once Measure twice - When it's where it needs to be... TRACE around the footings...
Use a SMALL drill bit... take a deep breath and drill the starter hole... once all 4 are done place another piece of tape over the hole and drill to the required size....
Might consider putting on STAR WASHERS on the top between the feet and the tourbox (this will reinforce the area...) put a large flat washer also on the inside and use loctite on the threads... DONE!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Harley.Driver
Cruiser

Thanks to all for the information[sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Nice Tour-Pak Luggage Rack (79148-06A)
i order mine yesterday & now waiting for delivery and instal it !

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Rack Install