Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun with a borescope

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 07:08 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 576 Posts

That was meant as I would bet that it was a lean tune that is keeping it carbon free. Not that I would run out and get a lean tune. It really is very simple dude. Have a good day, I am going for a ride!

Old 09-30-2022, 11:18 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,245 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Highway Handler and Internet Troll:

A real bikers's butt is made of steel!

Last edited by Oko; 09-30-2022 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Highway Handler (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts

Certain things one probably doesn't need to know if bike is running fine. Sorta like pondering hemorrhoids and asking someone what the surgery is like.

​​​​​​But sure the external vent guys will eat this up...

Do see one large polip. Guess you need to do it again in 3 years .

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-30-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Oko (10-01-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 04:29 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AussieDog
Those pictures really bring out the truth about borescopes. When you look at them closely ask yourself this - what is normal, what is not? What should it look like? Is anything in there a real problem, or just a theoretical problem? Reminds me of when I was a young engineer for a natural gas company. We bought an $8000 Olympus borescope, which was a lot for 1982. One of our big 4000 hp Ingersoll Rand compressor engines was having problems, so they sent me and another young engineer to borescope the massive cylinders. We got with the maintenance crew, some of who had decades of experience. We all peered down the sparkplug hole looking at the inside of a cylinder head. Was it cracked? We weren't sure - maybe. The young engineers and the highly seasoned mechanics all took a look, then we discussed it and reached a consensus - yep, it looked like a crack. The head had to be pulled, no small project on a machine this size. We finally got the head off and what did we find for 'cracks'? Anti-seize.. Someone had put a bit too much on the sparkplug the last time it was changed, and it spread out from the sparkplug hole. That was our 'crack'. The young engineers, the very experienced foreman, and the well-seasoned lead mechanics all got it wrong. So if your going to use a borescope you really better know what you are looking for. And next time you get a colonoscopy - well, think about this story a bit.
Can't imagine "well-seasoned" lead mechanics getting it all wrong without having thinking of what else the crack would have to affect too - specially in reciprocating engine.
But that's just me.
Great story though.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:12 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 260 Posts

You guys remember pouring water down a (running) carb throat to clean carbon out?

When I was young and bought my first V8, one of the 'old timers' in my unit (also a hot rodder) told me about a way to 'de cabrbonize' an engine. He said pour little bit of water down the carb with the engine running, The concept was, the water turned to steam and helped clean the carbon out. Youd do it a few times while feathering the throttle. It was supposed to help with carbon related dieseling. (for the young ones here, dieseling is when an engine jumps over a few times after you turn it off. The engines internal components are so hot (excessive carbon) that the chambers fire off heat and compression alone) (Ive also discovered that 'dieseling' in gas engines has more to do with advanced timing curves than carbon)

On the other side of the spectrum.....Ive met guys who say s layer of carbon on your piston head actually bumps compression up a tad, so if you have have the heads off, resist the temptation to wire wheel the piston heads.

So, does either method have any merit? I feel like with all this snake oil, there may have been a bit of truth years ago but is no longer relevant in modern engines.

Sorry. Way off topic.

JED POLAND (10-01-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:10 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,666 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
You guys remember pouring water down a (running) carb throat to clean carbon out?

When I was young and bought my first V8, one of the 'old timers' in my unit (also a hot rodder) told me about a way to 'de cabrbonize' an engine. He said pour little bit of water down the carb with the engine running, The concept was, the water turned to steam and helped clean the carbon out. Youd do it a few times while feathering the throttle. It was supposed to help with carbon related dieseling. (for the young ones here, dieseling is when an engine jumps over a few times after you turn it off. The engines internal components are so hot (excessive carbon) that the chambers fire off heat and compression alone) (Ive also discovered that 'dieseling' in gas engines has more to do with advanced timing curves than carbon)

On the other side of the spectrum.....Ive met guys who say s layer of carbon on your piston head actually bumps compression up a tad, so if you have have the heads off, resist the temptation to wire wheel the piston heads.

So, does either method have any merit? I feel like with all this snake oil, there may have been a bit of truth years ago but is no longer relevant in modern engines.

Sorry. Way off topic.
Yeah I had a mechanic do that to my '70 Barracuda back in '73. It seemed to work to me. All kinds of crap came out the exhaust!

Old 10-01-2022, 06:22 AM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 694 Likes on 363 Posts

Hmm. If only there was a tiny camera we could stick in a spark plug hole to see what is really there.

is there excessive carbon build up or not?
Does Top Tier gas work?
Do we really need to know?

I say yes I need to know and thanks for the pictures. That is a cool tool and a lot can be learned, I am sure. I am impressed also.
When I said I assume it is your engine, yes I knew it was an engine, but it could have been almost any engine. I assumed it was a Harley engine. I assumed it was yours.

Proof is in the pictures, they are worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Highway Handler; 10-01-2022 at 06:24 AM.
glass99man (10-06-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 02:45 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,629 Likes on 2,530 Posts

The first pick looks like a class M planet with stars in the background

lp (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 03:57 PM
Gorion
Road Captain

Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Handler
Hmm. If only there was a tiny camera we could stick in a spark plug hole to see what is really there.

is there excessive carbon build up or not?
Does Top Tier gas work?
Do we really need to know?

I say yes I need to know and thanks for the pictures. That is a cool tool and a lot can be learned, I am sure. I am impressed also.
When I said I assume it is your engine, yes I knew it was an engine, but it could have been almost any engine. I assumed it was a Harley engine. I assumed it was yours.

Proof is in the pictures, they are worth a thousand words.

Yes it's my 114 on my RGS. My buddy mentioned he had a bore scope for a work project. I borrowed it because I was curious

Old 10-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 694 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
The first pick looks like a class M planet with stars in the background
Depends what you are smokin, I guess.

Quick Reply: Fun with a borescope