Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road King Classic Performance upgrade thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:50 PM
mfmegyesi
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Road King Classic Performance upgrade thoughts

I recently ordered a 2008 Road King Classicand addedsome performance upgrades. I am new to the Harley world and just need some reassurance. I added the PowerCommander, Stage I Air Cleaner Kit, and CycleShack 2.0" Drag Pipes. Nothing major - just some added oomph and sound. Did I make a good decision or not? I really appreciate anything you guys/gals can tell me.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 08 Road King Classic Performance upgrade thoughts

CONGRATS!!!
I didn't think that DynoJet (Power Commander) had the system or any downloads ready yet for the '08s??? And SERT may be out by the end of Sept????
I would recommend a Ness Big Sucker over the SE Air Kit (More Bang for the buck (cleanable Air Filter)
And DRAG PIPES are loud but you'll loose low end preformance in most cases...

Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 PM
rde
Road Captain

Congratulations on a wise choice!
I'm surprised your dealer suggested a PC III. I would change that recommendation toa SERT. Even then the SERT will not be available until Sept/Oct. I would run stock until thenew SERT is available.
I ordered an 08 Road King Classic and will install a SERT. My bike will not be here for another 6-8 weeks so hopefully the SERT will be out by then.
The PC III is not certified to handle the 08's at this time.
Harley's are getting more electronicallycomplicated when it comes to fuel injection. It's going to be more difficult to tune aftermarketexhausts from what I have been told. I'm going with Screamin' Eagle slip ons. I'm not saying you can't use other exhaust systems. It just might be more difficult to dyno so make sure you are using a good tuner. If you want reliable performance upgrades go with a Race Tuner/SE air cleaner and slips ons. IMHO

Old 08-18-2007, 11:01 AM
bezoar
Tourer

I have a three week old 08 RK. I've been looking around too because there seems to be many differences of opinion on which is best for better performance and cooler running. I have decided to go with a V&H fuel pack (when it's released), a K&N HF airfilter and a pair of V&H fishtail slip on's. The tech guys at V&H have been very helpful---not because I'm going with them (naive maybe) but because they say that their product is easiest to install and set up (ESPECIALLY since I'll be using their pipes) than other options. The price is right too. Anyhoo, that's my choice; no better or worse than any of the the other choices. Time will tell.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Drag pipes might be a mistake. You will give up quite a bit of BEG (bottom end grunt) and midrange power in exchange for noise and possibly better top end power. A decent slipon muffler of your choice would be a better place to start IMO.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:59 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bezoar

I have a three week old 08 RK. I've been looking around too because there seems to be many differences of opinion on which is best for better performance and cooler running. I have decided to go with a V&H fuel pack (when it's released), a K&N HF airfilter and a pair of V&H fishtail slip on's. The tech guys at V&H have been very helpful---not because I'm going with them (naive maybe) but because they say that their product is easiest to install and set up (ESPECIALLY since I'll be using their pipes) than other options. The price is right too. Anyhoo, that's my choice; no better or worse than any of the the other choices. Time will tell.
1st off CONGRATS...
V&H FuelPak is the most user friendly fuel management system you can get... Install ws less then 30 min... There Fishtails have a great tone to them... But I would have went with the Ness Big Sucker instead of the K&N set-up - Ness is better looking unit has a chrome backing plate option and still uses the washable filter and a bit cheaper (e-bay)

Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 AM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I just browsed threw the Vance and Hines web site and couldn't find a price for the "Fuel Pack"

How much are they???

RON

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Shoe
Cruiser

Could someone tell me the part number for the SE Air Filter for a 2008 FLHRC??

Is it still 29440-99D?? or did it change??

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Second post... 08 RK classic... 3 years of looking at them... love the bike and would like to get a bit more performance... I need to do it in stages that keep my marriage.... If I add the stage 1 air cleaner this year, pipes next year does that make sense or should I stay stock until I can do both and the fuel pack?

Does any of these changes void my warranty?

[IMG]local://upfiles/55734/8B1BB89E7B934342B338F7F73D6922EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

I need to do it in stages that keep my marriage
Well, I guess that'll rule out my suggestions.

CN

Quick Reply: 08 Road King Classic Performance upgrade thoughts