Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022 | 07:14 PM
gduncan
|
Tourer
Default Gas tank

Helping out a friend with his RG. His tank is pretty banged up thanks to a pool table, long story... Any way, Does anyone know if a 2018 RG gas tank would fit a 2012 RG?

Thank you...

Old 09-12-2022 | 08:19 PM
cncmike
Road Master

Originally Posted by gduncan
Helping out a friend with his RG. His tank is pretty banged up thanks to a pool table, long story... Any way, Does anyone know if a 2018 RG gas tank would fit a 2012 RG?

Thank you...
According to the online parts catalog at Ronnie's Harley Davidson, all touring tanks from 2008-2022 are the same. Should be no reason why it won't fit

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (09-14-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 08:20 PM
gduncan
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by cncmike
According to the online parts catalog at Ronnie's Harley Davidson, all touring tanks from 2008-2022 are the same. Should be no reason why it won't fit
Thank you and much appreciated.

Old 09-13-2022 | 07:48 PM
gduncan
|
Tourer

The saga continues. I ended up talking to Brian from BD's Cycles. He suggested finding the tank from HD. I found the part number, 61375-12DJO (Big Blue Pearl). The tank is obsolete. I can't find the exact paint scheme. See picture.

Option 1. Get a used tank and have it painted? Hopefully the painter can match the pearl.
Option 2. Contact HD dealers and maybe they have one sitting on the shelf?

Open to suggestions. Thank you...

Old 09-14-2022 | 06:43 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

From the picture , I can't really tell if the damage has gone right through to the paint . If the damage has only hit the surface of the clear , you could try wet sanding with 2000 grit , then using a polish , like Mequiar's scratch x .

Also , have you considered ordering the paint match from colorrite , paint and clear , just tape off the damaged area , you'll have to wetsand after paint , then after clear .

https://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

I have done a few repairs that turned out great , something to think about .

Old 09-14-2022 | 08:34 AM
gduncan
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
From the picture , I can't really tell if the damage has gone right through to the paint . If the damage has only hit the surface of the clear , you could try wet sanding with 2000 grit , then using a polish , like Mequiar's scratch x .

Also , have you considered ordering the paint match from colorrite , paint and clear , just tape off the damaged area , you'll have to wetsand after paint , then after clear .

https://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

I have done a few repairs that turned out great , something to think about .
I apologize for not making it clear about the picture of the tank I included. The damaged tank is below.

The picture of the tank I used for color reference only. Doing a search with the HD part number does pull up Big Blue Pearl, but every tank I've seen does not have the stripe in the middle of the tank. If that makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022 | 08:41 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Take the tank to a pro. Not bubba. It can be repaired and color matched. Simple job for a painter that knows what they are doing.

Old 09-14-2022 | 08:44 AM
focodave
Advanced

Just something else to consider:

A competent paintless dent removal guy could probably get that dent out of there.
It looks like the paint/clear coat is not cracked.
Follow the PDR with a buff job/wax job and it would be virtually undetectable, IMO.

Of course you would have to get the tank dash, tank top plate, and possibly some internal tank components off in order to do the PDR properly.

Old 09-14-2022 | 08:54 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Ouch , I see , a bit more work , but like focodave mentioned , that would be something to look into .

Old 09-14-2022 | 09:42 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

I would check if a reputable dentless repair place can do that and then get it painted, but it could be a wash on the price. I think this is the RG color in 2018...

Quick Reply: Gas tank