Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question of balance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: A question of balance

Okay. Since I am 5'6' (155lbs) and I ride an '03 Ultra I will offer you my advice. #1 Forgive yourself. Mistakes happen. Often we are too hard on ourselves when things like this happen. Let's face it besides being concerned for yours and your wife’s safety, your ego was probably bruised in the process. It's embarrassing when it happens trust me I know from first hand experience. #2 Ask yourself why did I slip? Maybe you need to change boots. My boots have skid/oil resistant soles. This is a must in my opinion for any rider. #3 Do not lower your bike. Lowering your bike changes the geometry and cornering clearance. This could potentially create an unsafe driving condition. I do not recommend doing this. As mentioned above, I am 5'6" (shorter than you) with a 30" inseam and I weigh 155 lbs. My '03 Ultra Classic is at stock height and I can handle my bike just fine. If you still feel the need to be closer to the ground, change out your saddle to one with a lower seat height. #4 Try swapping out your passenger floorboards in favor of footpegs. With your feet firmly flat on the ground, you may find that your legs are closer in to the bike with the passenger footpegs behind your legs, rather than on the outside of your passenger floorboards. With only a 30" inseam, every inch counts. Trust me I know. The only consolation I can offer is that those of us who have short inseams make up for it in length in other areas. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

whats your adress, ill send ya a t-shirt to match ours..........been there done that!! important thing is no one got hurt, and still wants to ride. ya have to ride a bike just like flying an airplane you look ahead and have a plan for every move! good luck!!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:16 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the troubles...but don't sweat it too much. We all have our incidents, and everyone came out of this in good shape. As has been pointed out, there's a number of options for dealing with this incident. I'd look at shoes, then seat adjustments, then suspension adjustments. Floorboards/pegs are also a good area to examine. Put yourself on your bike, feet flat on the ground, and lean it a bit in each direction, if you feel like you're able to engage enough leg strength to control the bike, you may not need to worry too much about suspension height. If however, you feel like controlling the lean is getting out there on the edge of your leg strength, putting your body closer to the ground should probably be explored. Suspension adjustments and seat adjustments are both viable options, and you may find both together to be the best fit. The thing to remember about testing the leg strength, two-up will raise the center of gravity, so if there's any question of having good control (being well in the range of your leg strength) look at other options.

All in all, glad you were able to get the drop out of the way with minor concerns. And a cheer for the SO for hopping back in the saddle!!

Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with bikergirl40 on this. If your knees are bent with you feel flatfooted, you should be alright.

Lowering the bike is going to effect cornering and handling and you might not like that. Some do some don't.

I know 6' guys that have dropped bikes smaller than an Ultra under similar cricumstances. Things like that happen on two wheels. Glad there was minimal damage to the wife and the bike.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't this Harley seat lower you by 1.5"???

That would be a quick and easy solution to try - seems reasonably priced too.

Anyone have experience with this on an '05 Ultra???? I'm thinking about it but would like to hear from the forum first.

I'm 6 foot with a 30" inseam and need to plant the feet a little bit more.

Comments???

THANKS dchoran@athenet.net

2005 Ultra Classic® Electra Glide® (EFI) > Seats & Backrests

Reach™ Touring Seat for Electra Glide® and Road Glide® Models

Reach forward position seats are designed to move riders with shorter inseam closer to the controls and to bring the legs closer together so that feet rest firmly on the pavement. The scooped bucket-shape saddle is enhanced with added back support padding to move the rider approximately 1.5" lower and 1.5" forward. The combination positions the rider closer to the hand and foot controls to offer both comfort and confidence. Combine with Touring Pullback Handlebar P/N 55935-98 or Road Glide Handlebar P/N 56570-98 for the complete effect. Can be used with Rider Backrest kits. Seat width 16"; passenger pillion width 13".

52544-05

Fits '97-later Electra Glide® and '98-later Road Glide® models (except FLHTCSE and models equipped with Chrome Fuel Tank Console P/N 71288-03A).

MSRP US $259.95

Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped my road glide the first day I rode it. I got too far over to the right at a stop sign and the road sloped sharply down and to the right. When I put my feet down the road was not there and down I went. Two yound guys with a Ducati in the back of their truck got me back up. No damage to rider. Bike got some paint scrapes that will mostly buff out. I'm adding saddlebag guards. I figure this may happen again but I am not going to let it get to me or stop my riding. As everyone with any riding experience (who is honest) will say they have done it themselves or seen others do it. It's part of the deal. If I wanted to e safe I'd stay in bed.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:54 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

5'6" short inseam also... used the Harley shorter rear shocks, dropped the front 1", had a custom corbin seat built at the Holister Factory with a ride in appoitment (the only way to deal with corbin). We short guys have to approach most everything in life just a little different.. I got my first Harley back in early 96... as I left the shop and stopped at the stop sign, the salesman motioned for me to come back... He gave me a little advice that has saved me more than once... Most of us pull to a stop, brake, left foot down, lean left... sound familur??? think about it... pull to stop, lean left put foot down.. If we get into that habit... the bike is leaning the moment we stop even before we get the foot down... so if there is a hole, sand, gravel, oil or worst yet - catch a pant leg or anything,,, the bike is going over... I have learned to stop straight and put both feet down.. Also, being short, I have learned to LOOK at the area I am going to stop... Now, I am NOT talking about staring at the ground,,, just looking ahead... I dropped my bike at a B&B in UT coming off a driveway... It was a sharp turn + a drop off the driveway.... As I was going over - ****, I knew better to take this too sharp... So, now if there is a question,,, I stop early and think about it... As stated, these things happen and we are harder on our selfs than we need too.... Almost dropped the bike last weekend at a stop sign - My own fault... and I did learn... scared the crap out of me, but I learned and I was able to keep it up... traffic was backing up at the stop... I was doing to ole, slow - brake - balance - slow - brake- balance - turning the front left and right to keep balance _ Ya, stupid - anyway, the payment was real "lumpy" from the heavy trucks,,, in a "ripple" I hit the front brake harder than I needed - the front wheel was turned and STOPPED, for some reason, my short legs held the bike in a steep right lean...

So, back to the early advice... check the ground, and stay off the front brake, and stay straight..

Live and learn...