Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Ultra Classic Injected Fuel Pump Wiring Question (FLHTCU-I FLHTCUI)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022 | 06:31 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser
Default 99 Ultra Classic Injected Fuel Pump Wiring Question (FLHTCU-I FLHTCUI)

Hi folks, hoping I could get a quick bit of help here. I am working on a neighbor's '99 Injected Ultra Classic and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is normal for the wire in the picture (yellow with green stripe) to be powered at all times, even if the key switch is off. Also, I would be very grateful if anyone could provide a wiring diagram for this bike, I've done my searching but haven't found anything online for one of these MM/Twin Cam Injected (99-01) bikes yet. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
David

Old 08-26-2022 | 09:23 PM
Buck_Wheat
Advanced
Default schematic

This schematic is for a 2000 which should be identical to the 99. I think that wire is part of the circuit that also powers the coil. My buddy's 2000 flhtcui had a problem with that circuit, turned out to be failed ecu.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000flh.pdf (1.57 MB, 126 views)
Old 08-27-2022 | 06:49 AM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Thank you for the reply and schematic! Yea, this wire on this particular bike is always hot, even with the key switch off. It powers the fuel pump..... so the fuel pump is running even with the key switch off. Doesn't seem right to me.....

Old 08-27-2022 | 06:55 AM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Buck_Wheat
This schematic is for a 2000 which should be identical to the 99. I think that wire is part of the circuit that also powers the coil. My buddy's 2000 flhtcui had a problem with that circuit, turned out to be failed ecu.
Any chance you have a scan of the "EFI Harness" shown in the screen snip as well? Trying to track this yellow/green stripe wire down to fully understand it. Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-27-2022 | 08:40 AM
Buck_Wheat
Advanced

I don't have a specific efi schematic but the attached color pdf may give a clearer picture. I just checked power on my '99 fuel pump also.

Old 08-27-2022 | 12:23 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Buck_Wheat
I don't have a specific efi schematic but the attached color pdf may give a clearer picture. I just checked power on my '99 fuel pump also.

Awesome, appreciate the help man. Are your pictures when you checked with Key Switch OFF or Key Switch ON (Looks like it is off in the pics, just double checking).

I believe I am going to have to go ahead and purchase the factory service manual for this bike to get to the bottom of this.

Also it looks like you have the same color bike as him...... dark green with gold emblems/pin stripe?

Last edited by Six862m6; 08-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2022 | 04:25 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

There should not be any voltage to that wire with the Key switch off. When you turn the key switch ON and Start/ Run switch in Run position +12VDC power should run through that wire for 3 Sec. Check the fuel pump relay under the seat. You also may have a wonky ground.

Old 08-27-2022 | 11:04 PM
Buck_Wheat
Advanced

I did check voltage with the ignition off. The red (positive) tester lead is on the positive battery post, the black (negative) tester lead is on the fuel pump. The fsm will help if you can find one. What is making you think the fuel pump is not working? If it's not starting you may want to check the coil, it's easy to do. My bike is actually black, it's just dirty right now and poor lighting in the shop.

Old 08-31-2022 | 04:30 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Schematics for 99 are hard to come by.
The Ignition fuse, gray wire supplies power to the Run/Off switch when ignition is on. turn the switch to run and it powers the W/BK to the start button and to the Fuel pump relay. the relay "Pulls in" and power from the R/O goes through the contact and powers the Y/GN going to the fuel pump. There should be no power at the fuel pump with ignition off.

Old 08-31-2022 | 04:32 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

To check for power on the wire , Black lead to ground and red lead to wire you are checking.

Quick Reply: 99 Ultra Classic Injected Fuel Pump Wiring Question (FLHTCU-I FLHTCUI)