Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Ultra Classic Injected Fuel Pump Wiring Question (FLHTCU-I FLHTCUI)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022 | 02:38 PM
Ultra 99
Cruiser

I've got a 1999 service manual if you need anything else.

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (09-02-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 12:26 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by larsfum
There should not be any voltage to that wire with the Key switch off. When you turn the key switch ON and Start/ Run switch in Run position +12VDC power should run through that wire for 3 Sec. Check the fuel pump relay under the seat. You also may have a wonky ground.
Sorry I went dark for awhile, I was actually waiting on a part in order to test further. Yep, I was thinking the fuel pump relay myself (which I ordered and was waiting on) and replaced it today. I identified the relay as the fuel pump relay via the schematic he gave me; on this bike it was positioned on the furthest out of the four on the right hand side as you are riding the bike.

No joy, brand new relay and there is still power going to that wire at all times, even if the switch is off. In fact, I found (which I should have checked this to begin with) there is power going to that wire without a relay plugged in at all.....

So I'm still investigating.

Old 09-07-2022 | 12:29 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Buck_Wheat
I did check voltage with the ignition off. The red (positive) tester lead is on the positive battery post, the black (negative) tester lead is on the fuel pump. The fsm will help if you can find one. What is making you think the fuel pump is not working? If it's not starting you may want to check the coil, it's easy to do. My bike is actually black, it's just dirty right now and poor lighting in the shop.
The bike actually starts just fine, no issue with the ignition system.

The problem is that the pump works, it just never shuts off once there is battery power and that wire on the tank is connected. As in it will keep running and actually poor gasoline out of the intake! So I am trying to figure out why the pump runs constantly even with the key switch off (on as well, doesn't matter).

Old 09-07-2022 | 12:36 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vernal
To check for power on the wire , Black lead to ground and red lead to wire you are checking.
Thank you for the extra info sir. There is definitely something wonky going on here. That wire always has power regardless if the ignition switch is on or off. In fact, I just found out it has power even if the fuel pump relay is completely removed. I haven't checked to see if the Off/Run switch has any effect yet; will check in a few.

Basically, if the bike has power (battery up and connected) and that wire on the fuel pump at the gas tank is connected, the fuel pump starts running and will not stop. To the point that gas starts power out of the intake. Trying to figure out why the pump won't shut off when it's supposed to (why that wire always has power no matter what).

Old 09-07-2022 | 12:40 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ultra 99
I've got a 1999 service manual if you need anything else.
I appreciate the offer man and I may take you up on it. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, this bike isn't mine and I really hate to spend $100 for a FSM for a bike that isn't mine. If I got one and am able to fix his bike, my neighbor probably would have no problem paying for it (which I'd give him the manual to keep with the bike as well). However..... if I'm not able to fix it..... welll.

Basically the problem is this: If the bike's battery is up and connected there is always power to that fuel pump wire in my pictures. Doesn't matter if the ignition switch is on or not. It will continue to pump fuel until it runs out of the intake. I have even found that it still has power and runs the pump even with the fuel pump relay completely removed. I have not yet checked to see if the Run/Stop switch on the handle bar has any effect but plan to do so in a few mins.

Old 09-07-2022 | 12:50 PM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Update: The Off/Run switch on the handle bar also has no affect on that wire to the fuel pump on the tank in my pictures; it still has power at all times if the battery is up and connected even if that switch is set to "Stop".

Old 09-07-2022 | 04:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Time to trace the yellow green wire back and see where it is getting power.

Go back to post 9:

The Ignition fuse, gray wire supplies power to the Run/Off switch when ignition is on. turn the switch to run and it powers the W/BK to the start button and to the Fuel pump relay. the relay "Pulls in" and power from the R/O goes through the contact and powers the Y/GN going to the fuel pump. There should be no power at the fuel pump with ignition off.

The ECM provides ground to the fuel pump relay for 3 seconds then shuts it off until it gets a signal from the CKP that the engine is rotating, then it grounds the relay coil and the pump should start again.

Someone might have connected the Y/GN to a hot wire bypassing the relay?

Old 09-08-2022 | 07:19 AM
Six862m6
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vernal
Time to trace the yellow green wire back and see where it is getting power.

Go back to post 9:

The Ignition fuse, gray wire supplies power to the Run/Off switch when ignition is on. turn the switch to run and it powers the W/BK to the start button and to the Fuel pump relay. the relay "Pulls in" and power from the R/O goes through the contact and powers the Y/GN going to the fuel pump. There should be no power at the fuel pump with ignition off.

The ECM provides ground to the fuel pump relay for 3 seconds then shuts it off until it gets a signal from the CKP that the engine is rotating, then it grounds the relay coil and the pump should start again.

Someone might have connected the Y/GN to a hot wire bypassing the relay?

SOLVED

And yep, after I replied to everyone, I started studying the wiring diagram after re-reading your original post. There was no reason That Yellow/Green wire should be hot, especially at the point of the fuel relay with the relay removed. The other two culprits (other than the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump) were the coil and the injectors. Should not be getting power from either of them (sending power to them) but possibly there was a short.... checked the coil first, not it. Once disconnected, all Yellow/Green wire ends still had power. Disconnected the rear fuel injector, no dice, still getting power everywhere. Disconnected the front and there it was..... no more power! (I had left everything disconnected as I did it). Reconnected the rear first just to check.... back to having power at all the ends again. So BOTH fuel injector connectors were getting power when they shouldn't. Reconnected the coil.... all good. Reconnected the fuel pump relay..... all good. AND I found that the ignition switch began doing what it should. No power while off, ignition on and power at the fuel pump connector for about 3 seconds, then off again. Began looking at the injector connectors and I noticed their wires weren't the correct colors..... Started tracing everything back and I found the POS aftermarket garbage connected to them that you see in the attached picture. Removed it from the original injector connectors, connected them to the injectors and wow.... no issues. Fully removed that junk, reconnected everything including the tank and pump, turned the key on and let the pump cycle for its 3 seconds, hit the starter and there it was.... bike fired up and ran fine. No more pouring gas out the intake, etc....

Who would have thought, junk aftermarket causing an issue. I know Rev-Tech has a pretty good reputation but this thing was definitely the issue with this bike. It's pretty hard to connect this incorrectly so I'm guessing the heat or something eventually got to it inside that box and shorted something.

Today I'm doing an oil change to make sure he has clean oil/filter, changing plugs, and I started cleaning his filthy/soaked K&N air filter last night.... (I removed it when I started working on the bike so it didn't get soaked by me but you could tell it had been before). Then it should be ready to give back to him.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

The following 2 users liked this post by Six862m6:
Buck_Wheat (09-08-2022), Vernal (09-08-2022)