Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Road King clutch adjustment gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:41 PM
mhobryan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Road King clutch adjustment gone wrong

My wife has a 2005 RK Police edition. She said the clutch was engaging too far out, and asked me to adjust it. I've done this about half dozen times, so it's not like it's my first time... Anyways, I adjusted I turned the adjuster bolt out 1/2 turn, locked it in place. She took it out for a spin and said it seemed slightly worse. I did a 2nd time, she said there was little to no difference. The third time as I was adjusting it, it felt like something came detached on the transmission en.d of the cable, and now it's as if the cable is too long; I took off the transmission cover, and the cable was still attached inside. I've watched a bunch of videos, and did some searching on the forum, but haven't found a similar situation.

Any suggestions as to what i should look for?

Old 08-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,335 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Do not operate clutch with clutch pulled apart, your ***** can get stuck. But sounds like that is not your problem.

I would have tried to adjust 3 more times, to be honest. Sometimes it just seems funny. Some of it is by feel when turning in I've hjad times were I could not get it tioghen up the slack. No good answer, other than me. But kept doing it until it did. I've done it over 30 times. No good answer, I meant total. Not on a bad day,

2005 might not be worse time to replace clutch plates. Its not really hard.I am not sure if yuou can do it through derby opening Maybe.

Last edited by Rounders; 08-14-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:03 PM
mhobryan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Do not operate clutch with clutch pulled apart, your ***** can get stuck. But sounds like that is not your problem.

I would have tried to adjust 3 more times, to be honest. Sometimes it just seems funny. Some of it is by feel when turning in I've hjad times were I could not get it tioghen up the slack. No good answer, other than me. But kept doing it until it did. I've done it over 30 times. No good answer, I meant total. Not on a bad day,

2005 might not be worse time to replace clutch plates. Its not really hard.I am not sure if yuou can do it through derby opening Maybe.
I replaced the clutch pack two years ago (she uses it for precision riding comps, so is really hard on the clutch). I'm thinking maybe the clutch cable, or to your point, I don't have it adjusted far in enough at the clutch basket.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:24 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,335 Likes on 1,848 Posts

What is differtent for your case, is you started with an issue. A few times I adjsuted on schedule, and didn't go back right. So I adjusted again. No explantion other than i did wrong. Clutches are a bit of voodoo, when it come to how far in to turn.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:37 AM
davenay67
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try this method. I was having issues, and the method described in the link worked awesome for me.

I'm all out of clutch adjustment - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com)

The following users liked this post:
GOGOBECK (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 05:40 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Try the method in the second thread. There will be some who disagree, but the adjuster screw/release pin adjustment in the hub is to set the clearance between the adjuster screw and release pin. Too little clearance and they may come in contact when the clutch gets hot leading to the clutch slipping. If your wife does the low speed maneuvering drills I would use the one turn out on the hub adjuster screw. After that is properly done, adjust the cable for a MINIMUM of 1/8 inch free play. If the friction point is too far from the grip, loosen the cable for some more free play at the lever. There is a limit however, with too much free play you won't get a complete clutch release even with the lever tight against the grip. Adjust the beginning of the friction zone with the cable, not the hub adjustment, life will be much simpler.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,025 Likes on 4,067 Posts

I think the big issue is that you need to back off the lock nut on the center adjuster a couple turns before screwing the center in to where it feels snug.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:02 PM
vtbigdog
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Your fluid level in the primary is too high. Your clutch is slipping as a result. Forget about what they tell you to put in for quantity and make sure it is just touching the bottom of the clutch plate. Then adjust the clutch cable

Old 08-15-2022, 07:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Originally Posted by vtbigdog
Your fluid level in the primary is too high. Your clutch is slipping as a result. Forget about what they tell you to put in for quantity and make sure it is just touching the bottom of the clutch plate. Then adjust the clutch cable
Another thing is the engine/primary/clutch should be at room temp, ne engine heat in them. You didn't mention if you loosened the cable length till the clutch lever hit the handle, then adjusted the cable after the clutch pack adjustment.