Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

linked brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Default linked brakes

keep seeing the term linked brakes. what exactly does this mean??

Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Blackisfast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: linked brakes

Like a cage...step on one pedal, both ends activate at the same time in some proportion predetermined by the engineers.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Linked brakes as said, when you step on the pedal, the rear caliper and some of the front calipers will be squeazing the rotor.
For example, the Honda VTX has linked brakes.
Front calipers are 3 piston caliper on both sides of the wheel, for 6 pistons up front. Rear caliper is a 2 piston.
Squeaze the brake lever on the bars and you actuate the outer 4 pistons on the front calipers.
Step on the brake pedal and you actuate the rear caliper AND the center pistons on the front caliper.
It has been guessed by some that it is about a 70/30 split rear/front

Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had it on several BMWs I've owned and liked it. But BMW does it differently than Honda on the VTX. Appling the front brake gave you 100% on the front brakes nad about %40 on the rear brakes. Additionally if you were to apply the rear brake you would only apply pressure to the rear brake. You would use this in a situation where you needed more rear brake such as when you were ridding 2up.

Some people like it, some people hate it.

Re'

Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Means the front & rear brake are linked. If you pull the front brake lever you get both front & rear brake action, & if you press the rear brake lever you get both front & rear brake action. Different manufactures approach it with varying degrees of success. BMW (in my opinion) has the best with a proportioning valve that allows easy use of either brake without activation of the other, but increased pressure on either will act proportionatly on both.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
lsc86
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely hate linked brakes. Too many times when I want just front or just rear brakes. Not a fan of ABS either. Same goes for air-bags on motorcycles. And all the other crap from automobiles that somehow find their way onto bikes these days. If I wanted the comforts of a car, I'd drive my car.....

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Where can a person buy linked brakes for a Harley. I have a buddy that rides a 79 shovel trike and is confinded to a wheel chair! He only has front brakes and there have been times where he could of used rear brakes to assist in stopping!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: lsc86

Absolutely hate linked brakes. Too many times when I want just front or just rear brakes. Not a fan of ABS either. Same goes for air-bags on motorcycles. And all the other crap from automobiles that somehow find their way onto bikes these days. If I wanted the comforts of a car, I'd drive my car.....
What about a radio? Good or bad thing?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Homebrew101

ORIGINAL: lsc86

What about a radio? Good or bad thing?
Radio = good
ABS = better

Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Pulling a camper trailer, I absolutely loved the link brakes I had on my Venture. In their system, applying the rear brake also applied one front caliper. The brake lever applied the other front caliper. It also had a proportioning valve, so as weight transferred forward, more brake pressure went to the front caliper.

When stopping while pulling the camper, I used only the rear brake pedal, allowing me to keep both hands firmly on the handle bars to deal with any "trailer push" that sometimes occurred while stopping.

The new Victory Vision has a similar setup to the one described earlier on the VTX.

Quick Reply: linked brakes