Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

linked brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: linked brakes

ORIGINAL: Geezer Glide Bob

Where can a person buy linked brakes for a Harley. I have a buddy that rides a 79 shovel trike and is confinded to a wheel chair! He only has front brakes and there have been times where he could of used rear brakes to assist in stopping!
Geezer, have your friend contact mark at http://www.liberatortrikes.com/

He is building trikes specifically for situations like your friend has.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Homebrew...please enlarge your sig pic...it's too darn small!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going downhill in rain, or on gravel, linked brakes can be a problem.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having never had linked brakes before, I was a little apprehensive with my current ride (GW). I really like them, so far. As for ABS, the computer checks the wheels 10 times per second and can react to a slide much faster than I ever could. ABS makes a lot more sense on a bike than on a car, imho. If it's available, absolutely select it. It WILL save your bacon (and perhaps your passenger's). There's also a great discussion, pro and con, HERE.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbnl163

Going downhill in rain, or on gravel, linked brakes can be a problem.
No, not anymore. Maybe in the early 80's when Honda first came out with their LBS. But in the 25 years since, they have been vastly approved. I tried, tried very hard, to get the front wheel to lock, as you are insinuating. On a gravel covered asphalt lot, the front didn;t lock. The rear did, but only whe standing on it. I have been in many panic stop situations in rain on that VTX and never once did I ever loose the front end from wheel lock.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
No, not anymore. Maybe in the early 80's when Honda first came out with their LBS. But in the 25 years since, they have been vastly approved. I tried, tried very hard, to get the front wheel to lock, as you are insinuating. On a gravel covered asphalt lot, the front didn;t lock. The rear did, but only whe standing on it. I have been in many panic stop situations in rain on that VTX and never once did I ever loose the front end from wheel lock.
Harley ABS doesn't update as often as ABS systems on other motorcycle brands. There are only 9 on/off "cogs" in a Harley ABS bearing. A toothed tone ring on a BMW or japanese bike has a hundred or more. Thus, it updates faster. Faster updates means that good ABS acts faster to engage and disengage more quickly because it updates more times per second than HD ABS.

All that said, I have ABS on one of my Harleys. It's weakness is something I tolerate because I like the brand. That said, I will never tolerate linked brakes ever again. I use the rear brake only for cone course work on my Road King. Linking the front brake compromises low speed precision riding.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 08-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Echo Delta
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Linking the front brake compromises low speed precision riding.
According the the Harley Linked-Brake propaganda it disconnects at low speed, parking lot maneuvering.

Ed

Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Echo Delta
According the the Harley Linked-Brake propaganda it disconnects at low speed, parking lot maneuvering.

Ed
Linked braking, where braking with the front and rear wheels is synchronized, is activated at speeds above about 20 miles per hour. At highway speeds, the system will automatically calculate the amount of braking that's necessary under the existing conditions.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/har...220141861.html

Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

If they 20mph thing is true then its just crappy ABS compared to everything else. Actually, HD ABS can make you a better threshold braker. Because it takes so long to disengage you really try to brake just short of engagement, stopping distances improve;-)

Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lsc86
Absolutely hate linked brakes. Too many times when I want just front or just rear brakes. Not a fan of ABS either. Same goes for air-bags on motorcycles. And all the other crap from automobiles that somehow find their way onto bikes these days. If I wanted the comforts of a car, I'd drive my car.....
Wait for the parking brake to come out Oh My

Quick Reply: linked brakes