Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022 | 05:22 PM
Rendezvous
|
Cruiser
Default Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg

After installing S&S GNX slip-ons and Mid-Frame Heat Deflectors, my wife started to complain feeeling excessive heat near her right ankle and lower limb. As the driver, I feel the opposite, less heat in both my lower limb and torso probably due to the Mid-Frame Heat Deflector which I suspect redirects the engine heat to the place near the right passenger foot peg. Any other reason for the said heat?

Old 07-24-2022 | 06:15 PM
chief1600
Road Master

I suspect the heat deflectors are changing the dynamics of the airflow in such a way that, while you are feeling more comfortable, the wind is pushing all that built up heat back to your wife. I'd suggest getting rid of the catalytic converter to alleviate the heat for both of you. Of course, that takes a bit of time and money, but it's well worth it!! Plus, the bike is happier when it's able to breath!!!

Old 07-24-2022 | 06:27 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Of course it’s the deflector. Unless something else has changed, what else could it be?

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
eighteight (07-26-2022), lp (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 06:42 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Make sure eitms is on. Might help a bit in stop and go. While driving down the highway not much will help except those kuryakyn adjustable foot rests.

Old 07-25-2022 | 11:30 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Many of us are removing the left side mid frame deflector. The idea is that the hot air blows out the left side freely thus cooling things down. It's only the right side that gets hot. You might think...then the left side will get hot. It doesn't. I don't feel any heat on my left side,..but I'm in the driver seat. Otherwise with both deflectors, it seems like all your doing is creating a pocket of super hot air that's forced down low and back...good for driver....bad for passenger. Give it a try.

They also make deflectors that are a bit wider at the bottom
here here
for example. Maybe something like this will push the air under her foot? If I look at this one and yours side by side,....the one I posted looks like it gives about another 3" of coverage at the bottom where yours gets real skinny.

The following 3 users liked this post by mrhammer2u:
BCLASS (07-31-2022), Rollbar (07-25-2022), Skyway (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022 | 03:41 PM
JamesGilbertAZ
Road Captain

It's the stock exhaust that needs changed. I changed mine and also added the mid-frame air deflectors and I have no more heat.

BTW, I really though the deflectors would be an simple install, but mine were an actual pain in the a$$ to get on there... so much so, I would turn down a friend asking for help to install them.

Old 07-25-2022 | 04:32 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JamesGilbertAZ
It's the stock exhaust that needs changed. I changed mine and also added the mid-frame air deflectors and I have no more heat.

BTW, I really though the deflectors would be an simple install, but mine were an actual pain in the a$$ to get on there... so much so, I would turn down a friend asking for help to install them.
I'm riding out my warranty so didn't want the remove cats. The deflectors actually made a big difference. Still hot, just not cooking me. But I am looking forward to a new header when the time comes.

And yes, it was a 2 beer install....lol. I had to use the dremel in a spot to clear a wire. But once I figured out how to do those nut thingies, I could do it again in a breeze.

Old 07-25-2022 | 04:37 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

That red air deflector looks like someone sawed a relief into it for like a D&D Fatcat.... I mean they cut half of it at the bottom away...

Old 07-25-2022 | 06:06 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
That red air deflector looks like someone sawed a relief into it for like a D&D Fatcat.... I mean they cut half of it at the bottom away...
Good eye, I had to look at it a couple of times to see what you were talking about. I just went out to the garage and checked mine and it's much larger.

Is the left side full size? Maybe it's scooping all the air and pushing it out the right?

Old 07-25-2022 | 07:07 PM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I'm betting heat from cat. I've felt the normal heat that rises from it but eh other day I was draining the tranny fluid, laying on the floor, on the right side of the bike. I could feel the cat radiating some serious heat even though I was probably a foot away from it. I've had the deflectors on every Harley I've had and never have had a heat issue like this with the cats. my '09 didn't have cats, so never was an issue. So I got me a catless header on eBay and keeping my original in case the feds start getting tree hugger on bikes.

Quick Reply: Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg