Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022 | 05:59 AM
landiscarrier
Cruiser

I recently picked up a 13’ FLHTK and I also have a 01’ FXD bored to 95CI with cams, head work etc and the FLHTK is waaaaay hotter than the FXD! The header is de-catted but still gets extremely hot in stop and go traffic. I have no idea if the previous owner tuned it but that’s my next “to-do”. The plugs do not look like it’s running lean but I am just surprised by the amount of heat of this engine.

Old 08-01-2022 | 07:27 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Landiscarrier1
I recently picked up a 13’ FLHTK and I also have a 01’ FXD bored to 95CI with cams, head work etc and the FLHTK is waaaaay hotter than the FXD! The header is de-catted but still gets extremely hot in stop and go traffic. I have no idea if the previous owner tuned it but that’s my next “to-do”. The plugs do not look like it’s running lean but I am just surprised by the amount of heat of this engine.
Same for my we 95" 01 vs stage 1 07. Even the primary is hotter. I do have vemted lowers on 07. So it is not apples to apples. I was going to cam the 07, wondering if that may help. But 70k miles later, just never got to it.

Old 08-01-2022 | 08:11 AM
BCLASS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
Question for those that have de catted your M8, did it cause any trouble codes or need to be re tuned? Am thinking of de catting my RGL. Did it to my 2014 Low Rider some years ago and it caused no problems.
I've never heard of any issues related to removing the cat, I am guessing that it creates less of an air flow restriction change than your typical slip on muffler. I expect that you would not need to re-tune but I have a FP3 tuner on mine so I couldn't say anything from experience.

Old 08-01-2022 | 08:51 AM
BCLASS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Landiscarrier1
For heat I'm wondering about these tank lifts. Just started thinking about them, would want to pick up the front and back equally (about 1") so fuel gauges still remain somewhat accurate and there is no effective loss of fuels capacity.

Anybody tried them? Pictures would be nice, DK Custom has several pictures of just the tank/engine but it would mean a lot more to me to see the full bike.
https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/tou...dk-trg-tlk.htm

Old 08-07-2022 | 01:19 PM
buell95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mikes300
there are tons of reviews on it, it works very well for its designed purpose, mines been perfect for 2 or 3 years now? I installed it when they came out.
I can say they work also, Installed one on my 06 ultra yesterday.
I know they are for newer bikes but it works good on my ultra.
Just had to move it over some to clear the starter.
Rode yesterday afternoon and it was hot.
It pulled the hot air just fine.
Wife was a lot happier.

Last edited by buell95; 08-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2022 | 09:02 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rcrankin
Has anyone wrapped their header with exhaust wrap and put the heat shields back on?

Rob
I did this to my 08 Heritage and I feel less heat.

The following users liked this post:
rcrankin (08-14-2022)
Old 08-08-2022 | 10:16 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Had a 2013 Street Glide and had buffeting issues. Installed fangs, buffeting was gone and I was happy. Traded that in for a 2021 Street Glide. Rode it, got buffeting, and installed fangs. No buffeting. But... noticed more heat from right side than on the '13. So... I decatted pipe, better. Installed mid-frame deflectors....then removed left side. Still a bit of heat coming and kept reading. Removed fangs and installed front tank deflectors. Went on a trip, no buffeting, but more air up around my chest area. Less heat, but seemed to me still a bit. Installed tank lift kit. Have not had a chance to ride this much yet. Hope to get a nice ride in tomorrow.
My main concern is buffeting and engine heat. No buffeting, but wind around my upper body....ok. Seems like less heat than before, but still want more seat time to "make sure". No passengers so no worries there.

Old 08-14-2022 | 09:23 AM
Rendezvous
|
Cruiser

Finally installed the Ciro Adjustable Comfort Passenger Foot Pegs. Next step is to review after a weekend ride with my wife. Hope this solves the heat issue on her right lower limb and foot. Easy but tricky install though.

Old 08-14-2022 | 10:11 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

^^^ Those are the exact mounts and pegs we have on our bike.^^^ My wife really likes them. However, I didn't put them on to solve a heat issue. My wife says the extra pegs are nice for a temporary change of leg angle & position but not where her feet should routinely be for maximum comfort over the miles.