Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:21 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

its the catalytic converter, either get rid of it or add the cool flow fan, it works, i did both, the frame deflectors work, but not for that scenario
the cool flow fan is strictly for rider comfort nothing else, and it works https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by mikes300; 07-31-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2022 | 10:23 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCLASS
Just removed the cool flow fan from my bike, they are Walmart made in China quality which is ok if they last longer than appearances would suggest.

Since the Chinese muffin fan and plastic stuff is $315, and may or may not make your rear cylinder run hotter due to how it effects air flow while riding above the fan shut off speed, if I were looking for something I would be looking at something like this https://www.jpcycles.com/product/164...ing-fan-chrome
the cool flow fan works great, I don't know what your talking about removing rider heat and cooling the motor are two different things. why would you remove it?

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:26 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
That red air deflector looks like someone sawed a relief into it for like a D&D Fatcat.... I mean they cut half of it at the bottom away...
its cut that way for the cool flow fan, they make them with and without that relief cut

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:39 AM
BCLASS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mikes300
the cool flow fan works great, I don't know what your talking about removing rider heat and cooling the motor are two different things. why would you remove it?
I didn't like the looks of it, couldn't tell that it was doing me any good (I do not have a catalytic converter on my bike), did not like further constricting the area behind the rear cylinder (I blew a rear head gasket cruising on the interstate on a 105 degree day, the smart kids tell me that it was overheating and that the back section of the rear cylinder is the weak spot), found it to be in the way when I was fiddling with other stuff, and when I saw it was flimsy Chinese stuff that also made me love it less.

Agree that fans cooling the cylinders may or may not create an air flow pattern that also aids the passenger. If I was going to buy one of the cylinder cooling options I would want to read reviews first.

Also, if you have one and like it I am not trying to say poo poo on what works well for you, just my weird opinion and best avoided personal preferences.

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:42 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCLASS
I didn't like the looks of it, couldn't tell that it was doing me any good (I do not have a catalytic converter on my bike), did not like further constricting the area behind the rear cylinder (I blew a rear head gasket cruising on the interstate on a 105 degree day, the smart kids tell me that it was overheating and that the back section of the rear cylinder is the weak spot), found it to be in the way when I was fiddling with other stuff, and when I saw it was flimsy Chinese stuff that also made me love it less.

Agree that fans cooling the cylinders may or may not create an air flow pattern that also aids the passenger. If I was going to buy one of the cylinder cooling options I would want to read reviews first.

Also, if you have one and like it I am not trying to say poo poo on what works well for you, just my weird opinion and best avoided personal preferences.
there are tons of reviews on it, it works very well for its designed purpose, mines been perfect for 2 or 3 years now? I installed it when they came out.

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:45 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I am curiou how of the heat is larger engines, EPA, cats, or new riders. I havn't rode a new bike, and I am thinking of buying one, which is why I wonder. 07 is hotter.

Old 07-31-2022 | 06:17 PM
Voltageregulater
Stage I

Pretty simple to me. Air flow.

Simple answer is air flow. Directed straight to her lower leg.

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:06 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Question for those that have de catted your M8, did it cause any trouble codes or need to be re tuned? Am thinking of de catting my RGL. Did it to my 2014 Low Rider some years ago and it caused no problems.

Old 07-31-2022 | 10:20 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I've always wondered, if it restricts air flow/cooling, and is bad for engine, with these deflectors.

The following users liked this post:
BCLASS (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 01:07 AM
rcrankin
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Has anyone wrapped their header with exhaust wrap and put the heat shields back on?

Rob

Quick Reply: Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg