Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022 | 07:53 PM
107inMO
Tourer

My wife had the same problem. The solution was the bat wing air deflectors.

Old 07-25-2022 | 08:50 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain

The cool flow fan is what you need. Pulls air down and away from your wife’s leg, away from that rear cylinder and down past the cat.

My wife’s leg was cooking in traffic and slow speed. To the point her calf would be solid red and she was miserable. Put the cool flow fan on and helped tremendously.

Old 07-25-2022 | 09:02 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Piping back in to add, that when my GF and started touring we had the same issue (heat on her ankle etc) and that was on a bike with the under seat heat deflectors.
Tried a few other things too. Still kinda hot no matter what we tried.

Eventually what fixed everything for her was a good set of actual high top riding boots.
Not even a whisper about heat anymore and we've been miles and miles all over the US weeks at a time.

Something to try if you haven't yet anyway....

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-26-2022 | 09:48 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
Piping back in to add, that when my GF and started touring we had the same issue (heat on her ankle etc) and that was on a bike with the under seat heat deflectors.

Eventually what fixed everything for her was a good set of actual high top riding boots.
Not even a whisper about heat anymore and we've been miles and miles all over the US weeks at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1
My wife has 2 different pairs of boot depending on outside temperature. The "low" ones are as high as the ones in your link and the "high" ones are significantly higher than that. It might be the reason she never complains about heat, even with the cat still in there.

Old 07-26-2022 | 10:14 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member

Or get a solo seat!

Old 07-26-2022 | 11:32 AM
journeyman
Road Master

Move the foot peg to the other side

The following users liked this post:
Taxgod4u (07-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2022 | 12:41 AM
Rendezvous
|
Cruiser

Ordered

Adjustable Passenger Comfort Peg Mounts by CIRO

I reckon that if wife boot is beside and away from the bottom of the Mid-Frame Heat Deflector, the engine heat that is thrown down form it will no longer bother her. I’m crossing my fingers that this is an effective solution.

Old 07-27-2022 | 02:54 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

I feel almost apologetic in stating this, but anything short of eliminating the heat is simply trying to work around it. A no-cat, preferably stainless steel header is the once-and-for-all answer to the problem in all respects. Do that and your wife can ride in any boots or shoes she likes. She can use highway pegs or not (mine uses both) and she won't feel heat again. Both rider and passenger will feel less overall radiating heat when stopped and idling. It's the best comfort change we made out of all the things we did to this ride.

Old 07-28-2022 | 09:48 AM
predatornut
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I have always been pretty adamant about my wife wearing boots when we ride. She would roll her eyes when I told her she had to but would put them on.

A few weeks ago we were going for a short ride in the evening and she wanted to wear her sneakers. I relented and let her. The next day she told me she understands why I wanted her to wear boots because her right foot was cooking.

Old 07-31-2022 | 07:55 AM
BCLASS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
The cool flow fan is what you need. Pulls air down and away from your wife’s leg, away from that rear cylinder and down past the cat.

My wife’s leg was cooking in traffic and slow speed. To the point her calf would be solid red and she was miserable. Put the cool flow fan on and helped tremendously.
Just removed the cool flow fan from my bike, they are Walmart made in China quality which is ok if they last longer than appearances would suggest.

Since the Chinese muffin fan and plastic stuff is $315, and may or may not make your rear cylinder run hotter due to how it effects air flow while riding above the fan shut off speed, if I were looking for something I would be looking at something like this https://www.jpcycles.com/product/164...ing-fan-chrome

Quick Reply: Excessive Heat Near the Passenger Right Foot Peg