Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats...the search continues - Saddleman Road Sofa or Mustang Super Touring Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022 | 02:30 PM
rauchman
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Seats...the search continues - Saddleman Road Sofa or Mustang Super Touring Deluxe

Greetings,

I'm struggling with a new seat purchase, and "I think" I have it now narrowed down to 2 choices (actually 3). Anyone have experience on choosing between the Saddleman Road Sofa and Mustang Super Touring Deluxe? I'd be looking at the heated version. If it helps, I'm 5' 11" - 6' with a 34" inseam. For me, my main criteria is "how does the seat reposition the rider". I'm currently on a 2022 Road Glide 107. I find myself wanting at least an extra inch rearward, and wouldn't mind a little additional height. Also, looking for really good passenger comfort. Went on a 375 mile over the weekend with the wife on the stock seat. Neither of us were too fond of the stock seat, especially the wife. She never complains, but on this trip she was "feeling it"

Saddleman Road Sofa - For starters, not sure if I should get the regular or Extended Reach. I understand these seats are firm and take some time to break in...not an issue. I've been trying to find out how the seat repositions compared to the Road Glide / Street Glide standard or Special. Most of the references I've seen are comparisons to the Ultra or Limited. "I think", the depth, or rearward position is in the ballpark of the stock SG / RG Special seat, but is about 2" higher than stock? Whereas the standard is positioned similar to an Ultra / Limited seat? Is the passenger section thicker than the SG/RG Special? Also, how is the hookup for the heated seats? I've seen a couple of references where reviewers talk about "lots of wiring".

Mustang Super Touring Deluxe - This one just popped up on my radar. I've owned a Mustang Wide Touring w/ backrest on the Dyna I had and it was good, but not great. I found the foam, while firmer than stock, was a bit soft for the long haul, but overall construction was excellent. My understanding of this seat is that it repositions the rider 1" up and 1.75", but not sure if that's compared to an Ultra / Limited or RG/SGS. How is passenger comfort? How is the hookup for the heated seat? I've seen it alluded to, that it's a bit more friendly than the Road Sofa?

Lastly, which of these is more waterproof?

Greatly appreciate the help. Either way, I'm in for a least $1k on this purchase and want to get it right the first time.

Old 07-05-2022 | 02:46 PM
rheimy
Advanced

I can't offer any advice on the Saddleman, but I do have a Mustang Super Touring seat (solo). It does indeed push me back and up giving me more leg room. I am the same height and inseam as you. I found the seat very uncomfortable for the first 500 miles or so, but now, it's much better and my lower back/butt pain is all but gone. That being said, I have yet to be on any really long rides with the seat.
Good luck with your search. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Seat comfort is so subjective.

~rheimy

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022 | 03:40 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I went from the Mustang Super Solo to a Saddlemen, albeit, not the Road Sofa. Both will move you back about an inch. The Mustang, a touch more than an inch. The Mustang is more plush than the Saddlemen will be. My issue was the Mustang was so wide it made the inside of my thighs hurt and my lower legs go numb.
I still have the Mustang and don't plan on getting rid of it, but in all reality, will likely not use it again.

As far as which is more water proof? Not sure. I'd lean to the Mustang because the Saddlemen has stitching where the Mustang is smooth. Both are incredible quality and worth the money spent.

It is subjective, but: For long distance, 600+ miles a day for multiple days on end, the Mustang wins out. For the riding I do most of the time, 100-200 a day and some 800-1200 mile weekends, the Saddlemen is better for me. More narrow, no leg pain, plenty of lumbar support.

For reference, I am also 6' 34" inseam.

rauchman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022 | 04:09 PM
euchre98
Road Master

Take a look at Sargent. In 2006 I had a Buell I was about to sell because it was unbearable to ride more than 2 hours. They reworked the stock seat and the bike was a dream afterwards. They are making their own seats now.
https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-A...g-Models-2009/

I'm running the "City seat" on my SGS.

rauchman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022 | 04:48 PM
Hippie44
Advanced

I have a Saddlemen Road Sofa on a 2017 Road King. I’m 5’10” -32” inseam. I tried the extended reach. I liked it but, my calfs would hit the passenger foot boards coming to a stop. My wife is 5’ and 120# she prefer the standard Road Sofa. We also tried the carbon fiber style she didn’t care for it. You have to know my wife, she doesn’t complain.
We only have about 500-600 miles on the seat, so far two thumbs up. My stock seat was a low version. The saddlemen sat me up with great back support. Hope this helps.

rauchman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022 | 06:15 PM
rauchman
|
Grand HDF Member

Excellent replies....thank you and keep them coming.

I received a Le Pera 2 Up Outcast today just to see, and it was one of the few seats I'm interested in that was in stock. Dimensionally, it's very similar to the stock RG / RGS seat. It has a substantial feel to it that screams quality. I like the look of the 2 tone, but ultimately, it's not the one. I had my wife check it out too, and she didn't dig it from a passenger perspective. As Le Pera advertises it, it's passenger width is a little narrower than the Maverick. Also, she's looking for something taller. I've come to the conclusion on this seat, so am I. Beautiful seat, but I want a dimensionally different, or more different than the Outcast is, compared to stock.

Some pics...

Le Pera Outcast 2up black and white with diamond stick ....a very sharp looking seat

RG Stock and Le Pera Outcast 2up

RG Stock driver length from bottom of the rear of the seat

RG Stock seat driver length from top of rear of seat to front...

RG stock seat driver inner width (point of the curve begins under the thigh)

RG Stock driver outer width

RG Stock seat rear length from black rest slot

RG Stock seat rear overall length

RG Stock rear outer width

Le Pera Outcast 2up driver length from bottom rear to front

Le Pera Outcast 2up driver top rear to front (and like a spazz I didn't capture the front length...ughhh)

Le Pera Outcast 2up driver width (not much difference between inner and outer width, maybe 1/2 ")

Driver inner width

Driver outer width...

Le Pera Outcast 2up passenger length from backrest

Le Pera Outcast 2up passenger width..

Le Pera Outcast 2up seat height with bike on side stand

Last edited by rauchman; 07-05-2022 at 06:32 PM.
2K10FBLO (07-08-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 12:01 AM
JamesGilbertAZ
Road Captain

So I too am seat shopping, but getting nowhere. I am looking for the best comfort for 2up long distances. I like the look of the road sofa, but I am not tall (5'9" w/31 inseam) and need to be able to reach the ground. I want something that is narrower for driver while wide and plush for the passenger. I am fine stock as for where it pushes me back, but I may even like to come forward 1". So down and forward is what I need. What seat would that be?

rauchman (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 05:11 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by JamesGilbertAZ
So I too am seat shopping, but getting nowhere. I am looking for the best comfort for 2up long distances. I like the look of the road sofa, but I am not tall (5'9" w/31 inseam) and need to be able to reach the ground. I want something that is narrower for driver while wide and plush for the passenger. I am fine stock as for where it pushes me back, but I may even like to come forward 1". So down and forward is what I need. What seat would that be?
Not sure what bike your on, I ride a ‘19 SGS. I’m about the same height as you, and like you, the stock seat is fine as far as positioning. I’ve been through about 5 seats counting the one the PO had on my bike when I bought it. So far the Saddleman SDC Gripper has come the closest to being the right seat, but it’s not perfect. It has a removable lumbar support/backrest, and when I take it off I’m just a little too far away from my bars. Height-wise it’s perfect…I’ve had a passenger on it and she said it was “fine” but the chick hasn’t been on any other bikes, and we only did about 150-200 miles, so take that with a grain of salt…I think if I had it to do over again, I would try a Road Sofa, normal version (non extended reach).
Just my .02 …

rauchman (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 05:50 AM
FunHuman
Road Captain

When I bought my bike, I purchased the Mustang Super Touring deluxe. The seat was not in stock, so I rode the dealership's demo Super Touring seat (Not deluxe) for months. The seat pushed me back just enough for a perfect seating position. I am 6 feet, 33-34 inseam. I really loved the seat with no complaints at all.

When the Deluxe finally arrived, I hated it. It felt smaller, I could feel the seat stitching, the seat felt short and smaller, the rear edge pushed funny against my cheeks. This was during Covid, so I thought surely, they changed something in production. Nope. On the Deluxe the foam is stitched to the underside of the seat material versus the material sits on top of the foam. So, for me the regular version had a smooth transition (like sitting in a bowl) across the seat where the deluxe felt partitioned.

It has been 6 months and I have lived with it. It has broken-in a bit, so the comfort is better but honestly, I miss the demo seat. The only reason I kept the deluxe version is appearance, the stitching looks great and finishes the top of the bike. Oh well looks are everything.

rauchman (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 08:00 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Ive owned both seats mentioned. In the extended, the operator goes back about an inch and a half and to me, it opens up the box nicely. You and I are exactly the same size and inseam. I really like both seats but if I was buying right now, Id go Road Sofa. My new bike a 22 RGS, I went with an HD Tall Boy due to supply chain issues..

rauchman (07-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Seats...the search continues - Saddleman Road Sofa or Mustang Super Touring Deluxe