Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a problem with your 05 horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:36 AM
mikedabiker
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a problem with your 05 horn

I've got a 2005 FLHTCUI and the dang horn aint worked right from day one. I've complained each time it's been in for service and I've got 20,000 on it. So it's been in a few times. No solution. Others in our HOG chapter have the same problem. Is this a problem with the 05's horns or does our shop just not know how to make a horn work?

Anyone with suggestions?

Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Do you have a problem with your 05 horn

sounds like you need a new mechanic!

Old 11-13-2005, 02:32 AM
Scotto
Banned

Ive had my horn replaced under warranty and the mechanic told me it will probably go out again because there are a lot of problems with them lately. You would think Harley would be able to solve some of the dumb little issues like horns and gas gauges that dont work. The way they act you would think its some kind of space aged technology to have a gas gauge thats accurate and a horn that blows. I love my bike, but my neighber has a thirty year old moped that has an accurate gas gauge and horn that works, whys it so hard for Harley to figure out?

Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

In the 05 FLHTCUI (like mine) HARLEY HORNS SUCK - those people in "shiny metal boxes" can't ever hear you!!!!

The wrenches at the HD shop here in my town said it was not a OEM problem - BS. Then they told me it is a simple adjustment - BS. R&R my friend (remove/replace).

I have been doing a lot of upgrading to my scooter, and am realizing that Harley uses the cheapest *** equipment they can find - wait until you pull your speakers someday - I'll bet they paid $5 or less each for those POS. The stock grips are pathetic. The mufllers sound like a Honda. Why a nonfunctional Air temp gauge??? I could go on and on...

For 20 big ones, they should put a little more into it IMHO - I have already "invested" 3 more clams into mine over six months!!! Can you hear us MOCO????

You will not be dissapointed in these below - easy installation (1 hour) - custom fit - look great - sound awesome.

People literally sh%t their pants with this one - every friend of mine has jumped a foot off the ground on a demo - and said wholly crap - sounds like a train.

I highly recommend the Rivco AHHD airhorns for your safety. (so loud all I do is tap it once in awhile)

Oh yeah, one last little story. A few weeks back, at a stop light, four crotch rockets pull up along side big daddio here, and started showing off their whistles and nerdy girlie horns - thought they were cool harrassing a harley dude - I laughed with them for the hell of it - then I hit the ear peircing button. THEY FREAKED OUT - "OH MY GOD". STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT. The girls on the back of their bikes blocked their ears!!!! Dinks. They won't ever try that again

Dave H. Appleton, WI dchoran@athenet.net

Go to:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/main.php

Air Horns for Harley-Davidsons

BE SAFE! BE HEARD! Air Horns for Harley-Davidsons. Will fit on any Harley with a left side horn mount. High quality, Chrome finish.
An Ear Piercing Blow of 128 decibels!

Price: $169.95

Air Horns for Harley-Davidsons. Will fit on any Harley with a left side horn mount the original manufacturer for over 17 years! Don't get stuck in a CORNER with Cheap Imitations! Air Horns to fit Harley Davidson. These air horns give a loud warning blast of 128 decibels! Uses the stock horn button. Can be easily installed in 20-30 minutes. The trumpets are triple plated chrome as well as the mounts and brackets so the shine and finish will last for years to come. They are completely waterproof. No hole drilling is required bolt-on, plug-in installation. Cone shaped covers are included which mount to the front of the trumpets. Two year unlimited warranty. All kits include two horns, air compressor, relay, simple wiring and complete installation instructions. The horns replace the stock horn and the compressor is either mounted under the seat, behind right side cover or on down tube of frame, (Different models vary)

The air compressor creates instant air pressure to the horns. Since the pressure is created so fast there is no need for a storage tank as on Semi Trucks and RVs. Although the pressure is very low (12-15 psi) it delivers a large volume of air (3 CFM or cubic feet per minute). This low-pressure high volume air supply causes the diaphragm inside the horn to vibrate at a high rate of speed or *frequency* The exact speed at which it vibrates is varied by the length of the horn or trumpet. Together the horn set produces an extremely loud 128-decibel warning blast. This is approximately 4 times louder than most electric motorcycle horns, which usually rate at 87 decibels.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5166/8EE36B5768E746859B996961E341C4F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM
gsparesa
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dchoran
I have been doing a lot of upgrading to my scooter, and am realizing that Harley uses the cheapest *** equipment they can find - wait until you pull your speakers someday - I'll bet they paid $5 or less each for those POS. The stock grips are pathetic. The mufllers sound like a Honda. Why a nonfunctional Air temp gauge??? I could go on and on...
True...True..True and True. Unfortunately, your talking into the wind and the MoCo doesn't care enough to hear you.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Scotto
Banned

another option for the air horns, do a search on Ebay for Grover air horn, harley. you will get an ebay store that sells horns that sound just like a train horn. they have a link that allows you to hear how they sound. They are all metal horns and come with everything you need to install it on your bike. lemme see if I can get a link.

okay, here it is
http://cgi.ebay.com/Grover-Motorcycl...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-13-2005, 01:32 PM
gsparesa
Tourer

Those air horns you people ar talking about are butt ugly. I wouldn't mount that dual ***** setup on my scoot even if it screamed' like the horny bird. Why can't we get a horn mounted inside the bottom of our fairings? Yea, make an openning at the bottom of the fairing where we can't see it and mount it there. It would surely clean-up that side of the engine. I might even install those cool glowing spark plug wires...nah...maybe!

Old 11-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my horn replaced on my 05 as well. I have another friend who is having the same friggin problem. Has anyone tried the HD High Output horn kit?

Kicks

Old 11-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Scotto
Banned

ORIGINAL: gsparesa

Those air horns you people ar talking about are butt ugly.
Ugly is subjective, for instance some guys like girls with big ol round butts(me) and some like flat butts. I kinda like the airhorns.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took delivery of my RK the headlight fuse blew upon powering the bike up. I had heated grips installed and they pinched some wiring in the controls up on the bars, left side.
They got things squared away 'til I went to high beam.
They got this sorted out only to have the heated grips fail inside of two months. They were replaced on warranty and I set out on my holidays to find I had no horn. I'll have them deal with it at my 10K service.
Anyway, since you're asking, I would look to see how things look up on the left switch module given my own history....especially if it's been apart.

Quick Reply: Do you have a problem with your 05 horn