Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Touring Seat???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022 | 02:20 PM
JamesGilbertAZ
Road Captain

Which seat is narrower at the horn and does not raise you up at all and is best for 2up? I need narrow and no raise because I am 5'9.5" with a 31" inseam.

Old 06-08-2022 | 10:42 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
I actually tried a Hammock seat from a dealers group of Demo Seats ... I'm surprised your dealer doesn't have a Hammock Demo to loan out...

The one I tried, about 3 years ago, raised me about an inch... I don't know if it's changed since then....
I have not yet but am going to ask them if they do have one, just never saw one when they had the demo displays, however if they reduce the leg reach will have to check something else or may have to resort to a customized seat.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-08-2022)
Old 06-09-2022 | 05:34 AM
pingman68
Road Master

As another person with a bad back, I’ve had surgery as well, here’s what I’ve done. First and foremost, get good rear shocks, I went with Revo-A’s. Seats are going to be very subjective. I just had my stock seat reworked by Mean City. I also had them add a gel pad to my adjustable back rest. Sometimes on longer rides I also use an air inflatable seat pad. It’s also great on hot days since it has channels to allow cooler air to flow through….

Old 06-09-2022 | 01:45 PM
2K10FBLO
Road Master

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
I have not yet but am going to ask them if they do have one, just never saw one when they had the demo displays, however if they reduce the leg reach will have to check something else or may have to resort to a customized seat.
Your dealer might not. I have 5 dealers within an hour. Only 2 did demo and only one had one of the ones I wanted, the hammock. To demo a sundowner I had to ride to a 6th dealer about 90 minute away.

One of the 5 though did offer to order it in for me and let me ride it and if I didn't like it I could return it. But that seemed dumb. And risky.

Old 06-09-2022 | 01:49 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2K10FBLO
Your dealer might not. I have 5 dealers within an hour. Only 2 did demo and only one had one of the ones I wanted, the hammock. To demo a sundowner I had to ride to a 6th dealer about 90 minute away.

One of the 5 though did offer to order it in for me and let me ride it and if I didn't like it I could return it. But that seemed dumb. And risky.
That is the problem, one can spend a fortune on trying different seats, that is why I am leaning more toward having my seat modified to fit me.

Old 06-09-2022 | 02:06 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
That is the problem, one can spend a fortune on trying different seats, that is why I am leaning more toward having my seat modified to fit me.

I tried that once... one suggestion if I may, find a local guy who can do it....

I used Mean City Cycles several years ago... They did a good job, but didn't explain the affect of mods I selected, until after I received the modified seat, and called them with an issue...

Bottom line.... I had to pay for shipping there, shipping back to me, shipping there again, and finally shipping back to me... as well as the redo on one of the mods.... Since I'm in SoCal, and they're in North Carolina, that seat cost a bunch... Right on par with most of the premium seats available on the market. In the end, I still didn't know how it would work for me without trying it out... It was OK, but not fantastic.... I won't use them again...

Don't get me wrong, they did great work on the seat... but there was little to no conversation/discussion when I called to order the mods, and the shipping/redo costs were killer...

I later found out there was an excellent, local motorcycle seat guy in my area with 20 years of motorcycle seat experience... Sadly he retired just before I discovered him...

If you are going to have a seat redone, I would first check in your area. There very well could be an experienced motorcycle seat shop close to your area you can visit and maybe even do a ride in service...

Good luck with your seat search...

Old 06-12-2022 | 06:58 PM
2K10FBLO
Road Master

I tried that once... one suggestion if I may, find a local guy who can do it....

I used Mean City Cycles several years ago... They did a good job, but didn't explain the affect of mods I selected, until after I received the modified seat, and called them with an issue...

Bottom line.... I had to pay for shipping there, shipping back to me, shipping there again, and finally shipping back to me... as well as the redo on one of the mods.... Since I'm in SoCal, and they're in North Carolina, that seat cost a bunch... Right on par with most of the premium seats available on the market. In the end, I still didn't know how it would work for me without trying it out... It was OK, but not fantastic.... I won't use them again...

Don't get me wrong, they did great work on the seat... but there was little to no conversation/discussion when I called to order the mods, and the shipping/redo costs were killer...

I later found out there was an excellent, local motorcycle seat guy in my area with 20 years of motorcycle seat experience... Sadly he retired just before I discovered him...

If you are going to have a seat redone, I would first check in your area. There very well could be an experienced motorcycle seat shop close to your area you can visit and maybe even do a ride in service...

Exactly why I haven't sent mine out to them
I don't even know what I want. I see people reference tail bone channels, some like gel some don't.

All I know is after an hour or so I get a little antsy. And my butt might start getting a little numb.

I also need to at some point install my new bars before doing any seat decisions

Old 06-12-2022 | 09:46 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2K10FBLO
Exactly why I haven't sent mine out to them

I don't even know what I want. I see people reference tail bone channels, some like gel some don't.

All I know is after an hour or so I get a little antsy. And my butt might start getting a little numb.

I also need to at some point install my new bars before doing any seat decisions

FWIW.....

I too get antsy and mostly sore after a few hours... I had a major disk herniation and surgery back in 2003, I recovered almost 100%...

One of the many seats I tried was the Rush Cycle Pedic with the special tail bone channel... I found it no more comfortable than a Harley Sundowner I had, I felt no difference with the "tail bone channel"...

I have ridden on one gel seat... Here in SoCal, it really collected the heat in the sun... It was borderline painful to ride, up to 30 minutes after parking in the summer sun...

That is my experience with gel and tail bone channels.... however, everybody's butt is different...

Old 06-12-2022 | 10:04 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

That is what I am thinking am going to do, there is a custom seat shop 90 minutes form me.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-12-2022)
Old 07-01-2022 | 08:38 AM
Phil69
Novice

As someone mentioned Gold Wing riders and seats. I rode a Wing for years. I ordered a Hartco Custom seat out of FL with backrest, it came in Thursday afternoon, I left 4am on Friday for a 1,000 Iron Butt ride. 16 hours in the saddle and 1067 miles later, no butt issues! Loved that seat!
They are a true custom in that you order the seat for rider and and passenger on height, weight, and inseam along with any special needs, then the seat is poured to fit. If you are not satisfied they will make adjustments. I moved to Harleys this year. I ride solo now, tried a Danny Gray custom, okay for a couple hours, my daughter bought me a Mustang Super Tour with backrest for Fathers Day, so far I’m pleased.
good luck.

Quick Reply: Best Touring Seat???