Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs J&M Headsets

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD vs J&M Headsets

I want to replace my HD headsets with J&M headsets. Are the J&M's really that much better than the HD headsets? Do they improve the cord reach/popping loose problem with the HD's? My HD's sometimes crackle or sound like glass rattling in a tin can, all with a tinny sound. Do the J&M's improve on those downfalls of the HD headsets? Everywhere I go I am told to get some J&Ms. I just want to justify the cost before forking over the money. I also plan to replace the HJC helmets with Arai helmets but that's another thread.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HD vs J&M Headsets

J&M have been doing it right for many years now... They do offer a Value Headset... But like always ya get what ya pay for...

Old 08-14-2007, 06:09 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Blacklion213
Are the J&M's really that much better than the HD headsets? Do they improve the cord reach/popping loose problem with the HD's? My HD's sometimes crackle or sound like glass rattling in a tin can, all with a tinny sound.
Yes, they are - been usin' 'em fer 11 years now, and as SoCal noted, ya purty much git what ya pay for - if ya go with the "cheapies", that's what you'll git... The cords on the J&M attach at the helmet with a 90 degree connection that's actually got a small strap ta help hold it. Ah've NEVER had the cord pop on with the J&M's on the UC. An' the sound quality is great - but in fairness to the HD sets, ah didn't notice they wuz quite THAT bad, so ah'm thinkin' ya may not have the earpieces aligned quite right (yeah, it DOES make a difference....)

Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM
BIGDEE
Advanced

Ain't nuthin wrong with the HD headsets. Just make sure they are located directly over your ear hole ;-) and they sound great. No tinnie sound. Lots of depth and clarity. Good bass. The mic leaves a little to be desired, but............A small black tie wrap holds the cord in the helmet recptical. No poping out. My $0.02 worth.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

BlackLion ,,,,,

certainly I am always biased toward the J&M product ,,,,, but I must tell you that there are significant differences between the J&M and Harley brand headsets ,,,,,,

I have been riding touring motorcycles and testing helmet headsets for 29 years ,,,,, and I have had a new Harley Ultra every year since 1989 ,,,,

Any of theJ&M brand helmet headset speakers have better fidelity and more volume available than the Harley brand helmet speakers ,,,,,, and this difference becomes even more apparent when they are connected to the new 2006-2008 Harmon Kardon audio system ,,,,

the new J&M high-output microphones are made specifically for the Harley system and produce less wind and abient noise when compared to the Harley headset microphone, especially under hard acceleration or with exhaust louder than stock ,,,,,,, and this affects the vox sensitivity setttings for the intercom system ,,,

the J&M two-piece hook-up cord system does not fall apart while ridinglike the Harley headset cord does ,,,, and this just happened to me twice the other day when I was riding, comparing our new high-output AeroMike's to the Harleymicrophone ,,,,,,

so I am not hear to talk bad about the Harley brand headset ,,,, just to state the facts of what I know to be true ,,,,

this headset pasted below from the value priced headset page on the J&M website is just an example of what we offer ,,,, and if you go to the Arai page on the site, you will see that we now offer the new High-output AeroMike with the Integrated headsets in the Arai helmets as well ,,,,,,

choose the J&M brand helmet headsets and you won't be disappointed ,,,, JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Deluxe Helmet Headset w/HO AeroMike for most Open-Face Style Helmets

HS-BCD277-OF-HO
$169.99

This new high performance J&M helmet headset has been designed to be installed into most open-face (3/4) and some of the flip-front style helmets with large, deep ear pockets as part of their interior design.

It features the new high-output AeroMike® III miniature boom microphone (for superior performance on the Harley® audio systems), two of our enhanced-fidelity DynaPort® helmet speakers in stereo, our universal clamp-on mounting system and the upper section (only) of our economical P-series 8-pin two-piece hook-up cord.

This is one of the best performing helmet headsets on the market today.

You will appreciate the superior ambient noise canceling and wind blocking ability of the latest version of our high-output AeroMike® III microphone.

The music quality provided by this headset is superb and has been accomplished without any reduction in the headset's ability to provide proper intercom and CB communications (proper acoustical installation required).

This headset can be connected to any factory installed motorcycle audio system in existence today, now and in the foreseeable future, just by interchanging the lower-section hook-up cord.

HOOK-UP CORDS

You will need to choose a “P” series lower-section hook-up cord from the chart below for proper connection of this headset to your audio system.

Hook-up cord #HC-

Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
tizone
Tourer

JMJOHN,

I just called your customer service line concerning the new:
Arai Classic SZ/c

I asked about pricing informationthis helmet with a premium integrated headset and was given a price of $629.99

However, I was told that this did NOT include the new HO Aeromike III,that they did not have pricing with the new mike, nor were they sure that the new 3/4 Arais with integrated headsets were even offered with the new mike.

Can you clarify?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Well just to add, John sent me a new mic to try out on my KBC TourComm. I wish i could say which one it was, but he didn't say. While i never noticed a problem per se with the original one, my wife says the new mic is definitely better. She says i sound much clearer than before during intercom usage. As far as CB nobody has every complained that i know of.

I do recommend the J&M over the HD one.

PS, i do not have any vested interest in J&M, just a happy consumer of their products.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
tsurgery
Stage III

I purchased J&M Headsets model ECD 584-OF and can't use them. There web site says that "they fit most open faced helmets",this is not ture. I purchased a Harley Ultra Jet made by HJC and they do not fit. I communicated with J&M and they confirmed that the headsets will not fit the helmet. I asked which helmets will they fit and they told me a Scorpion EXO-200, guess what they don't fit.Iagain asked which helmets will they fit, theygave me some brands including HJC and I asked which specific HJC, no response.Buyer beware of J&M products.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Tizone ,,,,,

I am sorry ,,,, evidently one of our guys that man the customer service lines at J&M is not yet up to speed ,,,, I will take care of that immediately ,,,,

the Arai helmet page on the J&M website gives the option of the STD AeroMike III or the new -HO AeroMike III for the Harley systems,,,,, same price for either option ,,,,,,,,

very sorry for the confusion ,,,,,

Tsurgery ,,,,,

I am very sorry you feel the way you do ,,, I got so frustrated with sparring with you by e-mail (at least 10 back and forth to accomplish nothing) that I put you in my spam filter ,,,, I probably should not have done that ,,,

not all Harley Jet brand helmets are from the same manufacturer so it is easy for me to get confused with exactly what helmets you have ,,,,, now I would like to help you to find a helmet to fit the J&M headsets you said you already purchased ,,,, but I need a little help from you and a little better can-do attitude also ,,, then we can get you going ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Harley Ultra Jet, it won't fit?

Quick Reply: HD vs J&M Headsets