Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:07 AM
deauxboy
Advanced
Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I had a feeling the that the re-folding technique was going to be an important part of keeping it compact. Kinda like a map or getting the air mattress back in the box, lol!
Exactly! It's longer than my wingspan and my folding skills are sub-standard, so I just stuffed it back in the pouch and called it good. The material is quite thin; someone with a little technique could put it back into a compact package.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:00 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,181 Likes on 1,311 Posts

So, I did end up getting this cover that I was originally looking at because of the size and price........
Amazon Amazon

I already had some of those vacuum bags that I use for my rain gear, and was able to shrink the cover down to about 1-1/2" thick so it would fit in the bottom of my tour pack with my shrunk down rain gear. Everything fit great. HOT, dry and windy until we got to FL where it did rain last night, so finally got to use the cover. No major downpour, but the bike is bone dry and still nice and clean from when I wiped it down after our trip to Miami Beach yesterday. Fit like a glove and the two adjustable straps worked great for holding it on nice and snug, not that there was much wind anyhow. But I tell ya, I wouldn't want it ANY smaller than it is, that's for sure! Paid attention to how it was folded, but frankly, if I can get it back in the bag ok, the vacuum pump will suck it right back down to the size I need to get it back into the tour pack. All-in-all, well worth the $24 I spent for sure! If it doesn't cut it with a real heavy downpour or starts to fail, I'll report back, but right now, I'm happy with my choice to buy this and bring it along!

The following users liked this post:
RadicalSon (06-28-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:59 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 444 Posts

So, I did end up getting this cover that I was originally looking at because of the size and price........ https://www.amazon.com/XYZCTEM-XXXL-...%2C214&sr=8-12

I already had some of those vacuum bags that I use for my rain gear, and was able to shrink the cover down to about 1-1/2" thick so it would fit in the bottom of my tour pack with my shrunk down rain gear. Everything fit great. HOT, dry and windy until we got to FL where it did rain last night, so finally got to use the cover. No major downpour, but the bike is bone dry and still nice and clean from when I wiped it down after our trip to Miami Beach yesterday. Fit like a glove and the two adjustable straps worked great for holding it on nice and snug, not that there was much wind anyhow. But I tell ya, I wouldn't want it ANY smaller than it is, that's for sure! Paid attention to how it was folded, but frankly, if I can get it back in the bag ok, the vacuum pump will suck it right back down to the size I need to get it back into the tour pack. All-in-all, well worth the $24 I spent for sure! If it doesn't cut it with a real heavy downpour or starts to fail, I'll report back, but right now, I'm happy with my choice to buy this and bring it along!
Glad to hear you got a cover that works for you. I travel with the HD issue 1/2 cover and it works for me. On one recent trip, I found I was running short on space (you always come home with more than you left with). On a stop at a HD dealer, I saw their cargo nets on display (they come in 12", 15", 18") so I grabbed one. I now take it with me on all my trips. Easy to strap extra stuff down when needed. I often will use it to strap my rain suit down...that way it's quickly accessible and I don't have to open my TP or saddlebags.

Envious of your 50 day trip. I can only hope to do that some day. ENJOY!!

MotoJockey (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 06:28 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by lefty33
Glad to hear you got a cover that works for you. I travel with the HD issue 1/2 cover and it works for me. On one recent trip, I found I was running short on space (you always come home with more than you left with). On a stop at a HD dealer, I saw their cargo nets on display (they come in 12", 15", 18") so I grabbed one. I now take it with me on all my trips. Easy to strap extra stuff down when needed. I often will use it to strap my rain suit down...that way it's quickly accessible and I don't have to open my TP or saddlebags.

Envious of your 50 day trip. I can only hope to do that some day. ENJOY!!

Looks as though my riding gloves aren't going to make it through the rest of this trip, so I'll be popping into a dealer or 2/3/4 along the way, so I'll have to check out their cargo nets as well! Thanks for the idea!

lefty33 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:16 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 444 Posts

Looks as though my riding gloves aren't going to make it through the rest of this trip, so I'll be popping into a dealer or 2/3/4 along the way, so I'll have to check out their cargo nets as well! Thanks for the idea!
Ha! It's those required dealer stops why I usually come home with more than I left with. Honestly, the cargo net works great. If my wife is along (which is most of the time), I have a bag strapped to the luggage rack and then the cargo net over the bag. Even if there's nothing on top of the bag, I'll use the cargo net to keep the luggage bag rain cover from flapping in the wind.

MotoJockey (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 10:10 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,869 Likes on 18,952 Posts

So, I did end up getting this cover that I was originally looking at because of the size and price........
Amazon Amazon

I've used one of those for several years while on the road ... Compact, lightweight and it keeps the little gremlins off the scooter while sitting in the motel parking lot overnight ... You'll get good service out of it

MotoJockey (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:33 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Folded that puppy up this morning real purtty in it's little bag then put it in the vacuum bag and sucked it right down to close to 3/4"! Put it back in the bottom of the tour pack till I need it next time. Working out good!

lefty33 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:15 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,708 Likes on 763 Posts

Folded that puppy up this morning real purtty in it's little bag then put it in the vacuum bag and sucked it right down to close to 3/4"! Put it back in the bottom of the tour pack till I need it next time. Working out good!
Do you use a hand powered vacuum pump or electric; and do you keep one in the tour-pak?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:08 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Used the supplied little hand pump that came with the package of vacuum bags. Works pretty damn good! It fits perfect in the channels in the bottom of my stretched bags, where I store tools and other stuff as well.

The is a before and after of my cheapo "Cycle Gear" rain gear in one of those bags. 2 sets of jackets, pants, and boots.........

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
oldbie (06-27-2022), timbo141 (06-26-2022)