Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 07:58 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All you really need is to keep the seats dry when stopping or overnight. I use 2 big plastic garbage bags to cover the seats of my ultra. They pack down next to nothing, cost next to nothing and keep the seats bone dry in downpours.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:14 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
I wouldn't do anything, I don't cover my bike on long trips, BUT.....

If you're concerned ride over to the Wal-Mart in Spearfish, it's close by, and see if they have a cover that won't scratch your bike. Give it to someone when you leave if you don't want to pack it.

Or buy a bike cover at the rally and mail it home if you don't have room to pack it.
exactly!

Old 05-20-2022, 09:11 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by HazyHog
All you really need is to keep the seats dry when stopping or overnight. I use 2 big plastic garbage bags to cover the seats of my ultra. They pack down next to nothing, cost next to nothing and keep the seats bone dry in downpours.
I've used garbage bags to cover just the seat for years, along with other cheap plastic items to cover all or half of it, however, I don't understand why people keep telling me what bike parts I only need to cover on my bike, or that I don't even need to cover it at all because they don't. I want to, and am going to, cover my whole bike with a full size, lightweight/compact bike cover because that's what I want to do. Hence the thread topic, lol. I was looking for feedback on one specific full size cover and asking for other possible suggestions for other full size covers because I want to cover my whole bike, like 1000's of people do, lol! If you want to get the Covid Vaccine, by all means, please do............ I on the other hand, will not. My body, my choice............ When it comes to bike covers, my bike, my choice, lol!

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
ClifWideGlide (05-22-2022), LS Bob (06-24-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 09:44 PM
deauxboy
Advanced
Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

I have that exact cover and used it recently on a multi-day trip. As it comes from the mfg, it's packed small and flat and won't take up much room. After using it, you may need help getting it re-folded up tight and flat, otherwise it balloons up. I had some room, so I just stuffed it back in the bag and put it in the tour pack.

Heavy rain one night and the bike seemed to stay dry although I did notice the tour pack lid was wet. That may have been from water running off the cover on to it when I removed the cover. As was mentioned, if the bike is dirty and it's windy, it's likely going to create some rub marks around the edges.

The XXXL covered my RG with a King Tour Pack fine but I was running the solo mount so I can't say how the fit would be with a two-up mount that puts the TP further back.

For the money, it does what I need it to do.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 09:46 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Well that sucks ,the fact that it was supposedly compact was the whole point............

"Manufacturer ‎XYZCTEM Brand ‎XYZCTEM Item Weight ‎1.2 pounds Product Dimensions ‎11 x 2 x 8 inches Item model number ‎Black Sliver XXXL 190T"

I measured under the rack and that will definitely fit, but if that's not the real size, then bummer. But I think I'm leaning more towards some of the other ones that have been mentioned here anyhow.

And I get that some people don't/won't cover their bike, or only cover half of it, and that's why there's skinny chicks and fat chicks........... chicks with big **** and chicks with no ****......... CHOICE..........to each his own. For me? A $5000 paint job and $2000 worth of Arlen Ness parts and other goodies, I choose to cover my stuff up if I can instead of just letting it sit there and get soaked all night. Rain while riding? Can't really do much about that except put your rain gear and a rain sock on. And I do carry an old wiping rag with me on the road for some drying or cleaning so I don't use one from somebody's personal VRBO/AirBnB that we're staying at nor from a hotel. That's just me maybe. I've put 90,000 miles on this bike in 3-1/2 years and getting ready to put another 12,000+ on it next month. First time I actually thought about taking a cover, because........... why not? Choices, right, lol!?
OK, now we need pics of your bike. 😀

Old 05-20-2022, 10:01 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Lol....... ok.

The following 5 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
Av8rPaul (05-22-2022), gonemad (05-20-2022), oldbie (05-20-2022), WVHARLEEMANN (06-24-2022), X90 (07-01-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:07 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by deauxboy
I have that exact cover and used it recently on a multi-day trip. As it comes from the mfg, it's packed small and flat and won't take up much room. After using it, you may need help getting it re-folded up tight and flat, otherwise it balloons up. I had some room, so I just stuffed it back in the bag and put it in the tour pack.

Heavy rain one night and the bike seemed to stay dry although I did notice the tour pack lid was wet. That may have been from water running off the cover on to it when I removed the cover. As was mentioned, if the bike is dirty and it's windy, it's likely going to create some rub marks around the edges.

The XXXL covered my RG with a King Tour Pack fine but I was running the solo mount so I can't say how the fit would be with a two-up mount that puts the TP further back.

For the money, it does what I need it to do.
I had a feeling the that the re-folding technique was going to be an important part of keeping it compact. Kinda like a map or getting the air mattress back in the box, lol!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:09 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,389 Likes on 2,975 Posts

Unlike the picture, this pulls down over my chopped tour pak and to the bottom of my hard bags. Only the front fender is exposed. twenty bucks. Works great. Easy to fold back up small and get back in the little bag.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by gonemad; 05-20-2022 at 10:12 PM.
MotoJockey (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:16 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Lol....... ok.

nice!

MotoJockey (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 10:20 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldbie
nice!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy and satisfied with how it turned out. Next trip will push it way over the 100,000 mile mark and it still looks/runs great. Gotta keep this one for awhile, lol.

gonemad (05-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...