Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 06:42 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Nelson Rigg half cover

Old 05-19-2022, 07:22 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,760 Likes on 4,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
those guys stop the Asian tourists from sitting on their bikes, idiots from seeing what they have and keeping the seat and electronics dry. NOT idiots.
Are tourists other than Asian ok to sit on bike?

Ugh, those covers don`t prevent people from seeing what kind of bike it is...

Our bikes get hit by sand gravel and sometimes rocks, birds, bugs at highway speed, but need to be covered when stationary?

In 50 years of owning motorcycles, I have never owned a cover.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-19-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:12 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,183 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
I have the exact cover you linked to from Amazon. For the price it's a great cover but it's far from being compact and it's not going to fit under your luggage rack.
Well that sucks ,the fact that it was supposedly compact was the whole point............

"Manufacturer ‎XYZCTEM Brand ‎XYZCTEM Item Weight ‎1.2 pounds Product Dimensions ‎11 x 2 x 8 inches Item model number ‎Black Sliver XXXL 190T"

I measured under the rack and that will definitely fit, but if that's not the real size, then bummer. But I think I'm leaning more towards some of the other ones that have been mentioned here anyhow.

And I get that some people don't/won't cover their bike, or only cover half of it, and that's why there's skinny chicks and fat chicks........... chicks with big **** and chicks with no ****......... CHOICE..........to each his own. For me? A $5000 paint job and $2000 worth of Arlen Ness parts and other goodies, I choose to cover my stuff up if I can instead of just letting it sit there and get soaked all night. Rain while riding? Can't really do much about that except put your rain gear and a rain sock on. And I do carry an old wiping rag with me on the road for some drying or cleaning so I don't use one from somebody's personal VRBO/AirBnB that we're staying at nor from a hotel. That's just me maybe. I've put 90,000 miles on this bike in 3-1/2 years and getting ready to put another 12,000+ on it next month. First time I actually thought about taking a cover, because........... why not? Choices, right, lol!?

The following users liked this post:
ronbeejer (05-20-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 12:12 PM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVNTR
Covering the parked m/c while touring far from home is a very smart touring discipline.
I travel with a full cover and cover even when under the canopy.
Machine gets a nightly bath conditions permitting before bedtime.
Nothing like a dry/frost-dew free motorcycle in the morning.
Use a strap to secure the cover in high winds
The current cover from these folks has to be at least 10 years old now and still works great.
My second one.
Exigent Bike Covers
I have two of the Exigent bike covers for years and have had no problems with them! They store very nice in a small bag when not in use.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:57 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Well that sucks ,the fact that it was supposedly compact was the whole point............

"Manufacturer ‎XYZCTEM Brand ‎XYZCTEM Item Weight ‎1.2 pounds Product Dimensions ‎11 x 2 x 8 inches Item model number ‎Black Sliver XXXL 190T"

I measured under the rack and that will definitely fit, but if that's not the real size, then bummer. But I think I'm leaning more towards some of the other ones that have been mentioned here anyhow.

And I get that some people don't/won't cover their bike, or only cover half of it, and that's why there's skinny chicks and fat chicks........... chicks with big **** and chicks with no ****......... CHOICE..........to each his own. For me? A $5000 paint job and $2000 worth of Arlen Ness parts and other goodies, I choose to cover my stuff up if I can instead of just letting it sit there and get soaked all night. Rain while riding? Can't really do much about that except put your rain gear and a rain sock on. And I do carry an old wiping rag with me on the road for some drying or cleaning so I don't use one from somebody's personal VRBO/AirBnB that we're staying at nor from a hotel. That's just me maybe. I've put 90,000 miles on this bike in 3-1/2 years and getting ready to put another 12,000+ on it next month. First time I actually thought about taking a cover, because........... why not? Choices, right, lol!?
I would go with other suggestions if you're looking for a truly compact cover for travel I was happy it's not as compact as they claim since I use it for long term storage over the winter. Ymmv. For the price it's a decent cover.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:55 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,823 Likes on 6,147 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Now, I’m more concerned with how to protect my bike from hail during our trip to, and stay over at Sturgis. The last time we were there, we were camping in an RV, and had a pop up canopy, that protected the bike during a marble size hail storm. This time we are staying in a rental house that has no garage, or any cover…

What would you do?
I wouldn't do anything, I don't cover my bike on long trips, BUT.....

If you're concerned ride over to the Wal-Mart in Spearfish, it's close by, and see if they have a cover that won't scratch your bike. Give it to someone when you leave if you don't want to pack it.

Or buy a bike cover at the rally and mail it home if you don't have room to pack it.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:14 PM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Here’s a picture of mine in the storage beg. This is the king rain cover for Exigent. I don’t have a tour pack so I can’t comment if it would fit with one and on there website it states without a tour pack.

Last edited by ClifWideGlide; 05-19-2022 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (05-21-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 08:26 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

I've used this one for 5 years. 6 major trips totaling 30,000 miles and numerous weekend trips. Still going strong.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycl...n-cover-detail

Old 05-19-2022, 08:29 PM
Cooch366
Cruiser
Received 249 Likes on 79 Posts

Aerostich, small and folds/packs into itself. Very happy with mine.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:55 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 4,029 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Now, I’m more concerned with how to protect my bike from hail during our trip to, and stay over at Sturgis. The last time we were there, we were camping in an RV, and had a pop up canopy, that protected the bike during a marble size hail storm. This time we are staying in a rental house that has no garage, or any cover…

What would you do?
Boy, that's a tough one. I'd be interested in any ideas.

When we did the plains, I picked up on all the other riders ducking their bikes under cover wherever they could. Including an abandoned bar's outside seating area.

I of course, was late to that party and had to keep the rental bike outside. I was sweating out that one.

Quick Reply: Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...