Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 702 Likes on 319 Posts

Every touring bike I have owned was capable of riding through the rain. Every motel I stayed at had a bath towel ( after using it) capable of drying off the seat. I didn't pay extra for these features.

The following users liked this post:
foxtrapper (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 518 Posts

I have both HD covers, “bikini” half cover and full storage cover.
I take the half cover with me on overnight trips.
It can probably be smashed down in it’s holder to fit under the luggage rack.
It does a good job of keeping dew and a very light rain off the bike. Heavy downpour, rain will get through, don’t ask how I know..

MotoJockey (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:40 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Covering the parked m/c while touring far from home is a very smart touring discipline.
I travel with a full cover and cover even when under the canopy.
Machine gets a nightly bath conditions permitting before bedtime.
Nothing like a dry/frost-dew free motorcycle in the morning.
Use a strap to secure the cover in high winds
The current cover from these folks has to be at least 10 years old now and still works great.
My second one.
Exigent Bike Covers

The following 3 users liked this post by ADVNTR:
ClifWideGlide (05-19-2022), MotoJockey (05-18-2022), RadicalSon (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:10 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,420 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
If I can take a full cover with me, why not cover the whole bike, I think.
Because outdoors covers are tough on paint. No matter how tightly or carefully strapped down, they flap and rub.

If the bike is dirty, the cover is even tougher on paint.

Because it’s one just one more thing to do.

Because you have to wait until the bike is cooled down. By which time I’m generally relaxed and not interested in going out to fiddle with a cover.

Because hotels have towels, as previously mentioned, and I can wipe off a damp seat easily with one. I can use yesterdays dirty t-shirt too, if I’m camping.

Because I kinda enjoy riding a trail dirty bike when traveling. It’s generated some fun and interesting conversations when people look at me and the bike and see that we’ve been traveling for a while.

If it’s something you personally want, go for it. But these are reasons I do not. It is a personal choice. Your proposed cover is cheap and packs small. So if you don’t use it, or you end up chucking it, it’s not like you’ll be out big bucks.

The following 3 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
Dan89FLSTC (05-19-2022), hattitude (07-01-2022), Oko (05-20-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 650 Likes on 398 Posts

My "cheap" eBay nylon full cover came with 3 tie down rings along the bottom. Front wheel, center and rear wheel all get straps. Like others have said it (amazingly) stuffs into its small drawstring pouch. I never wanted one that "advertises" HD. If I recall, I paid less than $30 for the cover and it looks like it's made the same as some of the higher priced covers......personally I think that most are made in China and look like they all came from the same factory (and probably do)....LOL.

Best idea.......Stay at a motel that has ground floor with outdoor entrances to the rooms and try for a "handicap accessible" room, because some have extra wide doors.....and roll your cycle into the room!!.....lol

Old 05-18-2022, 09:36 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 121 Posts

The Defender Deluxe is waterproof and compact …..great cover for a road trip!
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycl...n-cover-detail

Old 05-18-2022, 02:15 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

If anything, I would just get a seat cover, if it rains the roads, more than likely, are still going to be wet, jmo

Old 05-18-2022, 05:07 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,234 Likes on 2,862 Posts

https://eztouring.com/

I won’t buy anything else

Old 05-18-2022, 05:32 PM
RadicalSon
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
lyork (05-22-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:04 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Over the years, I try to sweet talk the hotel people into letting me park by the front door under cover, or only rent Airbnb's with a useable garage/carport, and worse case scenario, I buy some plastic drop cloth from Walmart or something to get through and try to save it or throw it away till next rainy town. However, this trip, (50 days), I want to pack an honest-ta-God waterproof cover to have on the ready as needed. Issue is, space....... of course. The largest HD Tour Pack and both saddlebags are packed solid! Thought came to me that there is a little bit of unused room underneath the luggage rack that could take a small/compact/bagged cover. Just gotta strap it up to the bottom real good so as to not rub on the fender, and it will come off with the rack when I get to a place where I'm not going to need it for a few days. I've looked at quite a few covers already and had seen this one https://www.amazon.com/XYZCTEM-XXXL-...%2C214&sr=8-12 mentioned a few times. Has anybody here tried this cover before? And what are your thoughts? Also, any other suggestions of one that will fit UNDERNEATH the tour pack luggage rack are welcome. TYIA........
I have the exact cover you linked to from Amazon. For the price it's a great cover but it's far from being compact and it's not going to fit under your luggage rack.

Quick Reply: Need a lightweight and compact rain cover for LONG trip...