Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 09:02 PM
adam072987
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay issues

Had a WHIM installed last fall and it hasn’t worked but I couldn’t get it back into the shop.

Had the bike in winter storage and dealer updates the WHIM.

I didn’t have any luck but update my Harley Sena 30K and it worked… once

Thought there might be an order I had to connect stuff for some reason but it appears it will only work once then I need to reboot my phone which is a 12 Max pro and is up to date.

the phone will play music through the bike and charge but CarPlay never opens. Reboot phone and good for one more go(or so it seems at the moment)

Anyone have any tips or other things I should check?

Old 04-21-2022, 09:46 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to connect in order or CarPlay won’t show up.
- power up headset
- power and start the bike
- wait for headset to connect to GTS
- plug in iPhone

If you get moving and still no CarPlay, unplug and plug phone in. Works for me with WHIM and HD 50S

Old 04-22-2022, 12:05 AM
Blue Blood
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure the phone is unlocked when connecting to the bike.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Andy Knell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Make sure the phone is unlocked when connecting to the bike.
Good point. You can also go into settings on your phone to allow CarPlay to work while the phone is locked.
Settings...General....CarPlay. Select the device (Boom! Box GTS) and toggle "Allow CarPlay While Locked"

The following 2 users liked this post by Andy Knell:
hdriderwnc (06-12-2022), pingman68 (06-12-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 08:50 AM
adam072987
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Andy Knell
- power up headset
- plug in iPhone

If you get moving and still no CarPlay, unplug and plug phone in. Works for me with WHIM and HD 50S
thanks. Just tried this and don’t have any luck.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:51 AM
adam072987
Cruiser

Good point. You can also go into settings on your phone to allow CarPlay to work while the phone is locked.
Settings...General....CarPlay. Select the device (Boom! Box GTS) and toggle "Allow CarPlay While Locked"

Just checked and it was already setup this way. Didn’t know what was a thing tho.

The following 2 users liked this post by adam072987:
Andy Knell (04-22-2022), hdriderwnc (06-12-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 02:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,492 Posts

your headset must be working for carplay to open.

try updating all devices with the latest firmware. the hd boom audio gts, the hd sena 30k , and the whim. there has only been 1 update to the whim, in the past couple of years, but wouldn't hurt to make sure that you have it. i used to have to do all kinds of weird stuff to get mine to connect. then i'd get carplay, but no sound through the headset. seemed like i had the best luck with having the headset on first, then turn the bike on.

but, since i've updated with the latest firmware, my stuff has been working great. everything is connecting up as it should, no matter what order i turn on/hook everything up.

let me ask this, when you try to connect everything up, do you get the prompts from the headset? ie. 'phone connected', 'boom audio connected', 'mesh intercom on', etc.? i did have a problem back last year where my headset would stop giving me the prompts, and i got no sound. i took them to my hd dealership under warranty and they were replaced. all has been working good since.

oh, just for reference, my wife has the 12 pro, and i have the 11.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:43 PM
adam072987
Cruiser

- power up headset
- plug in iPhone

I took the bike into the dealer today with no luck. The one techs phone seem to work better than mine but still had a few of the same issues.

The WHIM was flashed and apparently they don’t update the Boom audio system often and couldn’t easily do it. I was told they couldn’t update the WHIM if the Boom wasn’t up to date. Well it wasn’t.

I manage to get it done despite my laptop working at a crawl. What seems to work is:

Turn on Bike
Turn on headset
Wait for Boom audio connected in headset
connect phone

In my mind it should work no matter what what order you connect stuff but I’ll take what I can get for now.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:41 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Two things
If you have your phone bluetooth connected to the bike, try undoing that.
The other thing is that the headset must be connected to the bike at start up or Carplay will not open. Also, when cranking the motor at startup, you can lose the connection between the headset and boom box (if already established) and then Carplay is lost.
I have a wireless adapter but it doesn't matter. What seems to be working lately for me is to turn on the headset, then turn the bike switch to ignition, and then without delay press the fuel pump and starter switches. Don't wait to hear the "Boom audio connected" prompt. I have to try it a few more times......

The following users liked this post:
Zonktified (06-15-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:42 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by adam072987
I took the bike into the dealer today with no luck. The one techs phone seem to work better than mine but still had a few of the same issues.

The WHIM was flashed and apparently they don’t update the Boom audio system often and couldn’t easily do it. I was told they couldn’t update the WHIM if the Boom wasn’t up to date. Well it wasn’t.

I manage to get it done despite my laptop working at a crawl. What seems to work is:

Turn on Bike
Turn on headset
Wait for Boom audio connected in headset
connect phone

In my mind it should work no matter what what order you connect stuff but I’ll take what I can get for now.

I agree. Works that way in the car. Boom GTS is fickle.

Now that you're updated, everything is working well? Assuming you go in order... it's connecting and showing CarPlay? Dealership should have been able to update the GTS and the WHIM. I can't get my laptop to recognize the WHIM when I try to run the Boom Audio Software Toolbox program. It's working though so I'm not too inclined to mess with it. Ain't broke, don't fix it....

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues