Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 05:10 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
The Boom GTS has a setting called projection that must be enabled. Is yours enabled?
This is his Issue, enable projection and you'll be fine.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:06 AM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hamah
FWIW it doesn't disable the mic it just makes it optional. CarPlay will work with or without a mic so there is no specific enable/disable setting for it.
CarPlay will NOT work without the microphone - and this limitation comes from Apple.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:12 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
CarPlay will NOT work without the microphone - and this limitation comes from Apple.
Correct. The various jumpers you can buy trick the bike (and Carplay) in to thinking there's a mic connected.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:01 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

The last 2 posts are incorrect. Harley's Digital Technician II does NOT allow the use of Apple CarPlay without a mic (wired or wireless). Both Diag4bike and TechnoResearch DO allow you to flash the GTS to enable Apple CarPlay with NO mic attached.

Last edited by hamah; 03-24-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:21 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

Technically I think you're right, but the other two are not wrong either... Digital Tech also used to be able to do the "software hack" (dealer did it for me in the fall of 2019 when I put the GTS in my bike)... then in early 2020 Apple found out about the "work around" in Digital Tech and later that spring/summer the ability of Digital Tech to access and do the work around was removed, thru a software update to Digital Tech. HD was in violation of their user agreement with Apple for CarPlay, or at least thought their case wasn't strong enough to tell Apple to **** off, and agreed to update Digital Tech. But the setting still exist in the bikes themselves, and the other diagnostic software companies did not apparently worry about it... probably due to the location of the parent companies...

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-24-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:39 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,834 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
The last 2 posts are incorrect. Harley's Digital Technician II does NOT allow the use of Apple CarPlay without a mic (wired or wireless). Both Diag4bike and TechnoResearch DO allow you to flash the GTS to enable Apple CarPlay with NO mic attached.
Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Technically I think you're right, but the other two are not wrong either... Digital Tech also used to be able to do the "software hack" (dealer did it for me in the fall of 2019 when I put the GTS in my bike)... then in early 2020 Apple found out about the "work around" in Digital Tech and later that spring/summer the ability of Digital Tech to access and do the work around was removed, thru a software update to Digital Tech. HD was in violation of their user agreement with Apple for CarPlay, or at least thought their case wasn't strong enough to tell Apple to **** off, and agreed to update Digital Tech. But the setting still exist in the bikes themselves, and the other diagnostic software companies did not apparently worry about it... probably due to the location of the parent companies...
If anyone is in Las Vegas and wants to be a guinea pig, send ma a PM and let's try it. My TR is licensed through the 2022 model year.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:42 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
No, I disagree and I'm not splitting hairs. Apple CarPlay absolutely WILL work without a mic attached as long as the DTII is not used to flash the GTS. I consider the DTII a limitation imposed by Apple's lawyers vs a "hack" by Diag4bike or TechnoResearch.

Last edited by hamah; 03-24-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:50 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

I agree with that statement, and you're right, it's not a hack if the setting is there and a particular software can still access it. My only point was that it is a "limitation imposed by Apple"... fortunately the setting is there, and there is software that can still access the setting, and get around that limitation. I have been fortunate in that the dealer originally set my GTS up that way in 2019, before they got the kibosh put on their software... and by the time DigitalTech did screwed it up, when they were working on it one time, I already had Diag4Bike and had it "fixed" 15 minutes after I got back home. I have never had to connect a headset since I put the GTS in to get CarPlay to be available, but if I do it works fine... to me it just should be that way without the trouble.

The following users liked this post:
hamah (03-25-2023)