Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 03:46 AM
Jeankok
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Boom GTS and Car Play O.K.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:07 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

Did they actually have to replace the GTS head unit?

Old 06-15-2022, 02:45 PM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

Had my Indy flash my GTS, I ran a long cable to my Tourpak and plug my phone in.
No headset and carplay works as it should.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Had my Indy flash my GTS, I ran a long cable to my Tourpak and plug my phone in.
No headset and carplay works as it should.
When did you do that? I think that capability is no longer available in the DTII tool

Old 06-15-2022, 06:10 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

An "indy" probably wouldn't be using Digital Tech... I have Diag4Bike and somebody with it can still do that old "original software hack", that the dealers can't do any more.
The settings are still in the BCM/Radio, just HD's Digital Tech can't see one (possibly two) of the settings anymore.
I have had to switch mine back a couple times after getting it home from having a dealer work on my bike.
These are my settings, and I'm not using a "jumper hack", so without a WHIM module installed, I set the WHIM enabled and disable "CarPlay Mic Type", which makes it stop looking for a mic, and this is the important one.
CarPlay works this way without a headset (mic) without having to do the jumper or any other "hack". Plus if I plug my headset in, all the voice stuff works too.

TechnoResearch's programmer might also be able to do it, although I have never tried it with that, and didn't see the setting in it's software, but I did not use that software for very long... so I am not sure about that.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 06-15-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
An "indy" probably wouldn't be using Digital Tech... I have Diag4Bike and somebody with it can still do that old "original software hack", that the dealers can't do any more.
The settings are still in the BCM/Radio, just HD's Digital Tech can't see one (possibly two) of the settings anymore.
I have had to switch mine back a couple times after getting it home from having a dealer work on my bike.
These are my settings, and I'm not using a "jumper hack", so without a WHIM module installed, I set the WHIM enabled and disable "CarPlay Mic Type", which makes it stop looking for a mic, and this is the important one.
CarPlay works this way without a headset (mic) without having to do the jumper or any other "hack". Plus if I plug my headset in, all the voice stuff works too.

TechnoResearch's programmer might also be able to do it, although I have never tried it with that, and didn't see the setting in it's software, but I did not use that software for very long... so I am not sure about that.
A fair enough point, but a WHIM install is likely hundreds of dollars less than DIAG4BIKE

Old 06-16-2022, 08:41 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
A fair enough point, but a WHIM install is likely hundreds of dollars less than DIAG4BIKE
that's a fair enough point too. but a whim install is one and done. diag4bike you can use over an over. plus, if you can find an indy that uses it, then you can have him do the flash for much less than a whim install.

i'm pretty sure that the technoresearch does not have the setting to disable the mic either. at least i couldn't find it. could find the whim activate/deactivate but not the mic.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:08 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Absolutely, if a person just wanted to get theirs done, adding WHIM is probably going to be around half (module, headset, installation, programming).
Or they could add the wired set up even cheaper. Both require the headset (mic) to be connected though.
Or they could just a use jumper.

I was just saying what I did above because most don't realize the old software hack actually can still be done, and was explaining how, thats all.

Now what will really irritate a person is if they pay to get their software hack working (like the guy's above), and after that for some reason a dealer hooks DigitalTech up to their bike for some reason while work is being done... and they get the bike back and the hack isn't working.... back to the "Indy" to get it working again I have actually had that happen to me a couple times, but because of the type of work we were doing, I knew it was possible/probable, and had the means to change it back.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 06-16-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:12 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Absolutely, if a person just wanted to get theirs done, adding WHIM is probably going to be around half (module, headset, installation, programming).
Or they could add the wired set up even cheaper. Both require the headset (mic) to be connected though.
Or they could just a use jumper.

I was just saying what I did above because most don't realize the old software hack actually can still be done, and was explaining how, thats all.

Now what will really irritate a person is if they pay to get their software hack working (like the guy's above), and after that for some reason a dealer hooks DigitalTech up to their bike for some reason while work is being done... and they get the bike back and the hack isn't working.... back to the "Indy" to get it working again I have actually had that happen to me a couple times, but because of the type of work we were doing, I knew it was possible/probable, and had the means to change it back.
Sure, I get it. But this is why a jumper is the best option.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:16 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I agree, if you don't want to be able to use a headset from time to time, if you want.
For most, they just want CarPlay to be available, they don't want/need to wear a headset.
I have a wired system, if I couldn't do what I can do, I'd just use the headset jumper.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issues