Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay adapter on sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022 | 06:12 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NickTheATC
Everything I read says that keeping batteries plugged all the time degrades the battery. To each their own I guess. First pic is my phone, second is my wife's. Same age of phone.
Degrades the battery how much? My last phone I had over 3 years. I plug my phone in every night all night long. I can guarantee you that it's fully charged within an hour of me going to bed, but yet it stays connected until the AM. It's never effected any battery I've had. After 3 years my phone still lasted me all day of use. Is charging your phone all day really that bad. Yes, you are correct, to each his own.

Old 04-09-2022 | 10:12 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

How its been explained to me is basically with most cell phone batteries now days you get just so many charging "cycles" (0-100%). If your phone drops to 80% in a day and you recharge it, thats 20% of a "cycle" -vs- if your phone drops to 20% in a day, which is not uncommon for me (business phone too) and it is recharged then thats 80% of a "cycle". Obviously the more lightly used (discharged) phone is going to have its battery last longer, increasing the phone's "life". Battery & "Smart Charging" design now will recharge a somewhat predictable number of cycles, and then slowly degrades from there. I have no idea what that "total" number of cycles are, and I have looked for it My phone is 2 years old (iPhone XR) battery capacity is 88% of what it was new... but it is used a lot and it seems like I get about 3 years and the batteries start to noticeably suck. I want to say around 80% capacity is where Apple says they need to be replaced... its also why "they say' (whoever "they" is), with today's batteries it doesn't hurt to throw them on a charger whatever % they are at... its not going to develop a charging "memory" or "cook" the battery if on the charger too long. FWIW

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-09-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2022 | 10:17 AM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
How its been explained to me is basically with most cell phone batteries now days you get just so many charging "cycles" (0-100%). If your phone drops to 80% in a day and you recharge it, thats 20% of a "cycle" -vs- if your phone drops to 20% in a day, which is not uncommon for me (business phone too) and it is recharged then thats 80% of a "cycle". Obviously the more lightly used (discharged) phone is going to have its battery last longer, increasing the phone's "life". Battery & "Smart Charging" design now will recharge a somewhat predictable number of cycles, and then slowly degrades from there. I have no idea what that "total" number of cycles are, and I have looked for it My phone is 2 years old (iPhone XR) battery capacity is 88% of what it was new... but it is used a lot and it seems like I get about 3 years and the batteries start to noticeably suck. I want to say around 80% capacity is where Apple says they need to be replaced... FWIW
That is my experience as well. I plug my phone in at night. After couple years, battery goes to 80% of max charge. That's about the time where it's scheduled for me to get a new phone and start the same cycle over again.

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 10:20 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Aint that the truth lol

Old 06-22-2022 | 07:49 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Default CPLAY2air Summer Sale

Currently $89.00 at CPLAY2air.com…. 2-days left.

Old 06-22-2022 | 08:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamala00

I agree on using wireless android auto for the fact that most phones do not fit in that stupid little cubby.
my phone fits fine in my roadglide cubby. just sayin....

Old 06-22-2022 | 07:11 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Bought mine on Amazon $14. Works great.

Old 06-22-2022 | 07:31 PM
binarym
Tourer
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: National Guard

Still need to have a mic or mic "fake-out" adapter plugged in?

Old 06-22-2022 | 07:53 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by binarym
Still need to have a mic or mic "fake-out" adapter plugged in?
Correct what this adapter allows you to do is to keep it permanently connected to USB cable and once it gets powered your phone automatically connects (via WiFi) to your GTS. For carplay to work you still need either plug or mic connected.

Old 06-23-2022 | 01:54 AM
bson
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Old Sport
Currently $89.00 at CPLAY2air.com…. 2-days left.
Thanks for posting! Ordered.

The following users liked this post:
Old Sport (06-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay adapter on sale