Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay adapter on sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022 | 09:02 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Wireless CarPlay uses wifi, makes the initial connection bluetooth then switches to wifi for all the data transfer (wifi has much higher transfer rate). Thats why you actually had to plug it in to the USB, was for the transfer rate.... now the module is plugged into the USB (fake the head unit out, thinking its a phone) and your phone communicates to the module via wifi.

I have had my 2 year old phone, that is used a lot (work phone) 4-6 hours in my pocket streaming music thru CarPlay and I don't see any major drop in battery... not like I feel like I gotta run in and put it on a charger... Have the same thing in my truck... Just really like not having to mess with the cord... unless I need/want to charge it.

As time goes on more and more cars & head units will come "wireless CarPlay" equipped... seems its just starting to get going good now, and will get to be more of a "thing".
Last fall I did a search for "wireless CarPlay" for head units and vehicle... there were some, a few.. but it will grow. Remember vehicles just few a years ago it slowly started to be "popular" to put some kind of hub in them... (wifi)....(subscriptions)

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-07-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2022 | 09:19 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

I tried this model and another from Amazon on sale in my 2020 Grand Cherokee…. Simply didn’t like them.
Unreliable and took a long time to connect.
I moved my CPlay2Air from my Harley to my Grand, worked reliable, quickly and reliably.

YMMV, but I were going to keep the Grand Cherokee…I’d stick with the CPlay device.

Old 04-07-2022 | 09:27 PM
rideonva
Road Master

18% 1 star review and 7% of 2 star made me rethink my impulse

The following users liked this post:
23StreetGlideSpecial (09-16-2023)
Old 04-07-2022 | 09:44 PM
NickTheATC
|
Novice
Veteran: Army

Mine arrives tomorrow. I’ll update after install and again after a few weeks. Hopefully it works as designed!

Old 04-07-2022 | 09:49 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

I am definitely interested in the development of the available technology in this area.

Keep the updates and feedback coming

Old 04-08-2022 | 03:26 PM
NickTheATC
|
Novice

Just wanted to give a quick update. Install took all of 2 minutes. Plug into USB port. Connected the first time in about 30 seconds. Subsequent startups take around 10-15 seconds. Works flawlessly so far. I connected and disconnected 3-4 times to test. The adapter fits in the cubby with tons of room to spare. I was able to fit the adapter and my mini garage door opener in there with no issues.

Audio quality sounds the same, though I have the stock speakers so it all sounds basic.

Very glad I got this on sale. Clean look with no wires anywhere. My previous setup was a lightning cable routed through the cubby and up the handlebars. Didn't look terrible but still drove me crazy. I will update when I remember or if I have any issues in the future. I think even at full price this is worth it for wireless CarPlay.

Old 04-08-2022 | 03:39 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

The one op linked to is back up to $120 less $24 with the coupon ($96). It then shows a new 3.0 version of the CarlinKit at $79 less $13 with the coupon ($66)
Amazon.com: CarlinKit 3.0 Mini Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Car of Factory OEM Carplay & with iOS System Version 6.0 and Above to Achieve The Wireless Carplay, Easy Setup - Plug-in USB Adapter Directly. : Electronics Amazon.com: CarlinKit 3.0 Mini Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Car of Factory OEM Carplay & with iOS System Version 6.0 and Above to Achieve The Wireless Carplay, Easy Setup - Plug-in USB Adapter Directly. : Electronics

EDIT: How many versions of the same product do I need to see? The same one op linked for $115 less $35 ($80)
here here

$102 less $20 ($82)
here here

$119 less $35 ($84)
here here

Last edited by hamah; 04-08-2022 at 03:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hamah:
NickTheATC (04-08-2022), Rollbar (08-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2022 | 04:34 PM
Old Sport
Road Warrior

CPLAY2air currently at $119.95. They previously were selling for $99.00 (if I recall correctly) when on special.

Old 04-08-2022 | 04:34 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NickTheATC
my phone doesn’t fit in the cubby. Also, I don’t like leaving the phone plugged in all the time. It is bad for the battery.
Bad for what battery? It certainly isn't going to do anything to your motorcycle battery, and all phones these days have technology to shutdown the charging when they are fully charged. Leaving a phone plugged in 24/7 will never hurt it.

I agree on using wireless android auto for the fact that most phones do not fit in that stupid little cubby. That being said, I normally just connect via Bluetooth to stream music. Only time I ever seem to want to utilize Android Auto is for Google Maps.

Doesn't seem to be on sale any longer. bummer...

Old 04-08-2022 | 05:44 PM
NickTheATC
|
Novice

Everything I read says that keeping batteries plugged all the time degrades the battery. To each their own I guess. First pic is my phone, second is my wife's. Same age of phone.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay adapter on sale