Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GP Front Suspension on my Road Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 02:46 PM
JDSHD
|
Intermediate
Default GP Front Suspension on my Road Glide!

I decided to install the GP 25mm Cartridges on my RGS. I am blown away at the increase in performance and overall handling. The transformation has FAR exceeded my expectations. I rode 300 miles this weekend and have not adjusted, as it feels great with the base preload and dampening settings. Riding one of my long-traveled local canyon roads, it felt like I was on a completely different bike. I am not an overly aggressive rider, at least I wasn't, but I find myself effortlessly pushing the bike much harder and having a blast. I mainly do long-distance touring, and the overall ride is also much improved. I have SuperShox 14" premium in the rear. Now with the front dialed in, I was able to back off the preload setting; the overall balance is much better now, and I am at the correct preload for my weight according to the chart provided by Super Shox. Overall, well worth the investment.

The following 3 users liked this post by JDSHD:
Highwaymans (04-04-2022), lp (04-04-2022), rauchman (04-05-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 07:48 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

Yep.... Once all tied in together with braces like true tracks, it really makes a huge difference ripping twisties.

Been running GP 25s in front and Ohlins 14" in rear on my Streetglide build for awhile now. I have a host of other mods going on with this build and dont even compare it to another HD in handling.... I consider it more of a "real" sport tourer like a FJR in handling.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (04-17-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 08:18 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

I’ll add it to my notes. Is the ride plush or is it solid/firm like racing bike ? TIA

Old 04-04-2022 | 08:44 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pyuchem
I’ll add it to my notes. Is the ride plush or is it solid/firm like racing bike ? TIA
Very good question and I'm wondering the same. I mainly long distance tour two-up... I find the OEM front suspension harsh. Want something more "plush" but not sloppy in the corners and braking if that's possible.

Old 04-04-2022 | 10:20 PM
JDSHD
|
Intermediate

Yes, it is definitely much more sporty. On your setup both front and rear, how much have you deviated from the baseline setup that GP / Ohlins provided? I am at 6 turns of preload and 14 clicks on compression and rebound. I can only adjust pre-load in the rear and now I am thinking I may want the same adjustability in the rear.

Old 04-04-2022 | 10:22 PM
JDSHD
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Yep.... Once all tied in together with braces like true tracks, it really makes a huge difference ripping twisties.

Been running GP 25s in front and Ohlins 14" in rear on my Streetglide build for awhile now. I have a host of other mods going on with this build and dont even compare it to another HD in handling.... I consider it more of a "real" sport tourer like a FJR in handling.

DefaultYes, it is definitely much more sporty. On your setup both front and rear, how much have you deviated from the baseline setup that GP / Ohlins provided? I am at 6 turns of preload and 14 clicks on compression and rebound. I can only adjust pre-load in the rear and now I am thinking I may want the same adjustability in the rear.

Old 04-04-2022 | 10:25 PM
JDSHD
|
Intermediate

The ride is all-around better than stock, more comfortable, better handling, and not harsh. Having the right spring rate allows the dampening to work properly. And with the external adjustments, I can dial in the type of ride I want.

The following users liked this post:
lp (04-05-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 10:27 PM
JDSHD
|
Intermediate

It is possible. I highly recommend this suspension upgrade.

Old 04-04-2022 | 11:16 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
What is this true tracks you are talking about ? And what does it do ? Haven’t heard about it. Is it for older bike or new ones too ? For reference I’ve 2016 street glide special. Thank you.

Old 04-04-2022 | 11:26 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by pyuchem
What is this true tracks you are talking about ? And what does it do ? Haven’t heard about it. Is it for older bike or new ones too ? For reference I’ve 2016 street glide special. Thank you.
i have no direct experience, but, I am aware of the product - essentially a chassis strengthening add on….

from the original true-track site —>

Wobbles and Oscillation while riding your rubber mounted Harley, then you've made the right choice to stay.

Harley wobble as first reported by KPHO.com. Click here to see news article.

We are not just any stabilizer, we are... the original creators, the innovators of the rear suspension stabilization device for rubber mounted Harley Davidson® motorcycles.

We are the only company to provide a stabilizer for all rubber mounted model Harleys, 1980 – present.

True-Track, Inc. has dedicated over 15 years of R & D knowledge to the True-Track stabilizer(s). For 8 years prior to the release of True-Track to the public in 2004, the company had already tested these various, nearly identical designs each imitator offers you today and with certainty we are here to inform you the imitators do not bring the level of quality nor stability the True-Track stabilizer offers you. Satisfaction guaranteed!!!

True-Track is the only vibration free suspension HD stabilizer available on the market!

What can True-Track do for you?

• Mitigate Bagger Wobble
• Give increased Stability in turns
• Give increased Stability in side winds
• Give increased Stability in overhauling big rigs on the open highway
• Give increased Stability towing your trailer
• Greatly alleviates bike's tendency to follow grooves and cracks in the

Quick Reply: GP Front Suspension on my Road Glide!