Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Zeppelin, Airhawk, Day Long which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Bob810
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Zeppelin, Airhawk, Day Long which one?

When I bought our current ride---07 FLHTC---in Aug 06 my wife and I found the seat comfort of the OEM seatwas dramatically better than that ofour '96 Dyna Convertible. We now have logged 8500 mi and it seems our discomfort is increasing with every ride. Just today we put on a meager 135 mi and came home sore. We have tried our old standby, the sheepskin, but it doesn't help.
Our problem is not tailbone, or lack of circulation to the legs. It's sore pelvic bones.
I've researched Saddleman, Airhawk, The Motor Company Road Zeppelin, Day Long and am now totally confused.
I would appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks
Bob810

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Zeppelin, Airhawk, Day Long which one?

i really like my road zeppelin. it is easy to adjust the seat comfort, especially on a long drive when one position after time gets to irritating the tush. The zeppelin has 3 zones that the rider can adjust.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

Consider these. The Air Zep is for driver and passenger so the 7or 8 hundred bucks is for both. the AirHawk is for driver and then another for passenger. so that's 175$ for the Driver and 150$ for passenger.
so get the cost right to start with. I have the AirHawk and I ride almost totally solo so the cost of a single is big difference. But I can move the air pad arround and sit on my butt on it or sit with my thighs on it and yu can adjust the air hardness like the AirZep also.
And with the AirZep you dont have to fool with putting it in yur bags when you stop, so some azzwad don't walk away with it. the Air Hawk just lightly straps over the seat. So theift is a real possibility and you need to keep them put up.
With the Air Zep noone is going to remove the seat to steal it. I want to ride one and if I do and I like it, I will have the seat and quit with the pads.
Also the Air Hawk will raise you a half inch or so.
the AirHawk is a good product BUT the AirZep IS THE SEAT !!!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 AM
lenny
Advanced

I ride an 07 Ultra and have a Zep as well as a set of wooden beads . The Zep will also raise you upward a considerable amount were as the beads are nill. My problem so far has been the heat that comes out of the furnace between my legs and the Zep as well as the stock seat do not breath. The beads allow air to move between my rear and the seat surface so the sticky shorts getting stuck feeling is not there. I also purchased the wicking under wear and they work! The wife and I just got back from a four day thirteen hundred mile ride and no monkey butt for either of us. That was with the stock seat and wooden beads. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 AM
blight
Advanced

Will the zep fit a Road King?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: blight

Will the zep fit a Road King?

According to the HD accessories book, the Road Zep will fit all touring except Road and Street Glides, so looks like you are good to go.

I got the best price on mine, and they had it in stock, from Hales HD.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a zep. on my Ultra. The seat width for the driver is 21" ! the standard seat is 17. That alone makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip on wicking underwear--I've seen that advertised but never saw any feedback on it.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Bob810
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard from several sources that the Road Zep is a good product but it does make you sit higher. I'm right at the threshhold of the top of the windshield as it is with the stock seat, so if I do get one, it'll mean an additional expense for a taller windshield. Yikes.
Since I've only had this bike for less than a year and have the extended warranty, is there a possibility to get the seat exchanged thru the warranty? I spoke with the parts dept of the dealer I purchased the bike from. In his opinion, The Motor Company used foam that is too soft. He said our monkey butt problem is due to the foam slowly compressing while riding. And after about 125 miles or more we're probably ridingclose to or onthe pan. If that's true, then I'm thinking it's a warranty issue.
What say you guys?
Bob810

Old 08-14-2007, 03:07 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob, before you go off and spend big bucks on a seat, talk to Allen (BadX) at www.meancitycycles.com . He can rework your stock seat, and will cost you much less than a new one. JMHO, but he will be getting my stocker this winter. BTW, I read this board a lot and I have not read a single complaint about the work Allen does on the seats. To me, that says something. FWIW.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the Air Zep seat will work on the Road Kings...the console is longer on the RK that the EG...thus the air zep seat 'horn' will lay over the bottom of the console on a RK. The seat will/should fit but the horn will be longer than on a stock RK seat.

Quick Reply: Road Zeppelin, Airhawk, Day Long which one?