Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB port advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:09 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy
Received 242 Likes on 176 Posts

On my Road King, I ran this setup - mounted the usb power port on the left handlebar, to the battery pigtail with inline fuse connected to the battery - i ran it under the tank, nice and clean, then mounted my phone mount on the right handlebar, essentially both at equal points left and right of center.

then I purchased a 9” usb cord to connect my phone to the power port, so I didn’t have extra cord flopping around in the wind - Bluetooth from phone to my Sena in my helmet for music, nav, and even phone calls!

The power port has a nice rubber cap attached for bad weather, when not in use, and, and on/off switch! This also left my battery tender pigtail free, as a secondary power point as well, easy to use with the inline widget someone else posted above.

I like the power port being fused and the port gives a real-time battery voltage reading when turned on

This was only about $20.00, and I really liked how this setup worked

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by HM_SanDiego:
cannot (02-15-2022), commander47 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 06:29 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

A fused 12 volt power outlet instead of a USB would be more multi-function and updateable.
The outlet should have power ONLY when bike is ON in order to reduce unplanned battery drain when bike is OFF.
The 12 volt outlet could be used with a small 12 volt compressor or adapter in order to run acc.
USB charging tech seems to be changing and the amperage seems to be going up every few years.
A simple SAE type connector (tender type connector) with a cap at handlebar clamp cover cut-out would allow you to connect an outlet for whatever you need at that connector.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:37 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by im
A fused 12 volt power outlet instead of a USB would be more multi-function and updateable.
The outlet should have power ONLY when bike is ON in order to reduce unplanned battery drain when bike is OFF.
Wouldn't the switched ACC plug serve the same?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:16 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Wouldn't the switched ACC plug serve the same?
For clarity:
A 12 volt power outlet would be a female cigarette socket type of plug but would be used to power an electric device with matching plug or adapter..
For example a radar detector, small 12 volt air inflator, car phone charger
A USB would be used for USB type devices.
The technology for USB power seems to be changing and a few years back 1 amp was OK but now some devices require a multiple of that in order to charge them.
Some individuals have just put a fused battery tender type of plug (called SAE connector) on the side hole for chrome handlebar cover and since it is an SAE plug, the user can use a USB or power outlet socket with an adapter.
That SAE connector is barely noticeable if not being used.
On some Road Kings there is an Orange? wire that has 12+ power that was intended for a touring fender tip light that goes unused and a simple connector leaves everything looking nice.
I think that orange? wire is powered by acc circuit fuse.

The following users liked this post:
commander47 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:48 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 135 Posts

OK, so I got this figured out and now I have to decide what to do.

The accessory plug under the left cover is very very convenient and offers a lot of potential.

What the wires do:

Red/blue: Constant 12 v power source connected directly to battery. (commonly used for a tender, but my bike has a separate tender connection so this one is unused at the moment)
Black: Ground

Viol/blu: Ignition switch power. This comes on when you switch on the bike. If you connect this, and the ground wire to any accessory it will come on when you switch on the bike.

kinda green/teal/blu (not sure what to call the color) ): THIS is the accessory switch wire. Connect this one and the ground and it will work off the accessory switch. So if you turn on the ignition switch, this is not hot until you flip the switch on the right side of the nacelle.

I am definitely going to run a wire up to the underside of the nacelle connected to the accessory switch. There is a block under the nacelle (Shown used above in Ratsnest post)

I need to decide what to do since I like the idea of a 12 v outlet

I show that mounting block again in the picture below. The dimensions of that block are 1 inch wide, 2 inches long, and 1/2 inch deep.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:09 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by im
For clarity:
A 12 volt power outlet would be a female cigarette socket type of plug but would be used to power an electric device with matching plug or adapter.
I don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but I wasn't talking about the end product, but rather the source of the power in my reply. That ACC plug is a switched power source to which the OP wants to utilize. He figured out which wires are switched to what and now he can add whatever he wants...be it a 12v power outlet or USB port or whatever.

I have a splitter harness attached to mine to which one is used for a USB power port and the other to power my detachable fairing for my King. That fairing has a 12v power outlet.

commander47 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:54 PM
commander47
Tourer

Here is what I ended up doing:

I bought the correct MOLEX connector on Amazon and wired it so that the ignition-on switch powers the charger. The charger is waterproof and under the neck. I believe it looks pretty clean.

Silicon covers for the charging cable protect and provide a firm grasping place to keep the connector when not in use.

I originally wanted to use the switched accessory connection. After some thought I decided wiring to the key is more practical for me.

I did, however, wire the accessory terminal to the Molex connector and an SAE plug. This plug is stashed in the battery area and is easily accessible for fog lights or whatever in the future. .

With this setup I can run the charging cable disconnected for short trips, but on long ones plug it up and not worry. It is somewhat waterproof and I will be able to leave it plugged up without worrying about the elements. I use a waterproof phone case with a waterproof connection for the Type C plug on the phone.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
3:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by commander47; 02-20-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:55 PM
commander47
Tourer

I bought the correct MOLEX connector on Amazon and wired it so that the ignition-on switch powers the charger. The charger is waterproof and under the neck. I believe it looks pretty clean.

Silicon covers for the charging cable protect and provide a firm grasping place to keep the connector when not in use.

I originally wanted to use the switched accessory connection. After some thought I decided wiring to the key is more practical for me.

I did, however, wire the accessory terminal to the Molex connector and an SAE plug. This plug is stashed in the battery area and is easily accessible for fog lights or whatever in the future. .

With this setup I can run the charging cable disconnected for short trips, but on long ones plug it up and not worry. It is somewhat waterproof and I will be able to leave it plugged up without worrying about the elements. I use a waterproof phone case with a waterproof connection for the Type C plug on the phone.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
3:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by commander47; 02-20-2022 at 07:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by commander47:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (02-20-2022), RKZen (02-21-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:17 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by commander47

1. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...1GGKYXVE&psc=1
2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRB1J4W...roduct_details
3: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRB1J4W...roduct_details
4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V7DPPV...roduct_details
5. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJVLF1Q...roduct_details

I am Electronics/Electrical officer on a ship for a living and ya couldn't do a better job than that! HIRED!
I actually have all the stuff to do my 19 Roadking this week and hope I have a great spot as your did as that is excellent my friend!
Ride Safe✌🏼

commander47 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:46 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Very nice. Glad you got everything figured out.

As I already mentioned, I decided to utilize the ACC switch and used a splitter at the ACC plug. One to power my USB port and the other to provide power to my detachable fairing.

USB port

Power for fairing

commander47 (02-21-2022)

Quick Reply: USB port advice