Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Dalej
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

Hi all, I have a 04 FLHRC. I have noticed that when I get to around 60 mph in 5th gear, I'm getting a slight vibration going on. I have played with it with other gears and it does the same thing. I called my service dealer and he said it to check the motor mounts, I did and they were tight. So I'm thinking it's internal. Have any of you had a simular vib. if so what should I be looking for.

Thanks in advance

ps 22,000 miles

Old 08-11-2007, 01:53 PM
hogfly
Cruiser
Default RE: Vibration

Im just signin in to see what happens here.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vibration is tied to the road speed or to the engine speed?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Dalej
Advanced

engine speed, it's when the engine gets to a certain rpm that is starts the vibration. it's not a real bad vib. but as the owner I can feel it. I have never had a balanced engine before, so don't know if it has somthing to do with that.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
harleybill
Cruiser

Don`t rule out the compensating clutch boltstarting to come loose. Had it happen on a 2003 with only 11,000 miles. Only way I found it was to remove the primary cover. HD does have a history for these to loosen up.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:09 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well touring bikes don't have the balanced motor.
When you checked the motor mounts and said they were tight.
Do you mean the bolts were tight? If so, go back and recheck the
rubber it self. One or more could be mushed out (soft) or even torn.
You need to carefully pry against the engine.
Also be sure to thoroughly check the swing arm pivot bushings as that is also the tranny mount.
A worn or loose compensator would be more of a clunking during shifting.
It is designed to help eliminate reciprocating forces in the engine from being transmitted to the tranny and drive train.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Dalej
Advanced

I thought all the newer bikes had a balanced motor, hum...learned somthing. How do you know a balanced one from the other?
I check the swing are bushings, they were tight. The front motor mount looked in good shape. When you say to pry against the engine, what is that refering to?DoI remove the rubber mountstocheck them? The back ones seem to be hard to look at.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:51 PM
harleybill
Cruiser

yes, there is sometimes a clunk at times when you shift BUT not always it will come and go, once you have shifted there will be a vibration that comes and gos while cruising.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Dalej
Advanced

My vibration comes in only when cruising around 60 and higher in 5th and around 50 in 4th and so on. It's consistant and predictable.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

HD makes a few engines. On the '07-'08 you have the 96"A (touring bikes), 96"B (softail line), and the V rod and sporties. In the 88" it is the same 88"A (touring) and 88"B (softail). The "A" is rubber mounted, and the "B" is what is concidered the balanced motor. The touring line has a lot of vibration at idle, but smooths on the highway, and the softail line, is less vibration at idle, but gets vibration at highway speeds. That is why, if you pull up to a softail at a light, your engine is jumping all over the place, compared to his. But, yours will be better for 'touring'. At least that is how I understand it.
ORIGINAL: Dalej

I thought all the newer bikes had a balanced motor, hum...learned somthing. How do you know a balanced one from the other?
I check the swing are bushings, they were tight. The front motor mount looked in good shape. When you say to pry against the engine, what is that refering to?DoI remove the rubber mountstocheck them? The back ones seem to be hard to look at.

Quick Reply: Vibration