Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate Helmet Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 07:42 AM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,797 Likes on 2,371 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate Helmet Speakers

Has anyone here tried these yet? Is there really the big improvement in sound quality they claim?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ets/p/76001137

Old 02-15-2022, 07:26 AM
ZBoT
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I just got my set 2 days ago. I'm using the H-D 30K headset. I previously had upgraded the 30K stock headset to the Sena HD speakers. The HD headset is louder and more bass than the Sena HD headset. It would be WAY better than the stock 30K headset. I've also only used it for about 5-10 minutes so from my experience they will most likely break in a little and be even better. $80 is steep for the headset but for me well worth it. If you have any specific questions let me know. Would be happy to help out.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:58 AM
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I have the HD 20s and I believe the speakers are the same as the 30k so it sounds like this would be an improvement, especially since I'm looking for volume.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Bea5ley
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them, they came with the 50s. I haven't owned previous Sena units, so my comparison is only to the Cardo JBL speakers. The RF Harley speakers are good, still not quite as good as the Cardo JBLs, but close enough to make me willing to wear the HD system when riding the Ultra.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:19 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

I wonder how the compare to JM

Old 02-15-2022, 06:32 PM
Grand HDF Member

I'll get them ordered and try to remember to come back and add my thoughts with the others.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:31 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

I'd be interested in trying these. The Sena HD speakers were a definite improvement over stock but the RF ones are twice the price (typical Harley tax I suppose).

To enable the Sena speakers required Boom! Audio Bluetooth Device Manager desktop software version 1.7 (the previous release didn't have the option to enable them) and a firmware update to version 2.4.

Recently I plugged my headset into my computer and was prompted to update the desktop to version 1.8 and agreed. The option to enable the speakers ("HD Speaker Accessory") was no longer available so I went back to 1.7. Then I was prompted to update the headset firmware to 2.5.1. I did the firmware update on one of the headsets and left the other at 2.4 but I can't tell a difference.

Tonight I plugged my headsets in again and now I'm being prompted to update the desktop to 1.8.2 and the firmware to 2.5.1. I can't find release notes on these updates and Harley CS can't tell me why the versions on the web are so old or where the updates are coming from. I'm wondering if the newest releases are for the RF version of the speakers, if the Sena HD speakers are also supported and if the use of "HD Speaker Accessory" is now the default (so the enable/disable option is removed)? (Note that the Harley SIP site to download software and firmware still only has versions 1.7 and 2.3)

I do see that the instructions on the new RF speakers specifically say that tuning is implemented via a firmware update and setup in the headset mobile app (what mobile app?). It then mentions to go to the P&A section of the Harley website for more details but I can't find anything. This whole thing is very confusing and Harley's software/firmware version control, including release notes, sucks badly.

Last edited by hamah; 02-16-2022 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:10 AM
ZBoT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hamah
I'd be interested in trying these. The Sena HD speakers were a definite improvement over stock but the RF ones are twice the price (typical Harley tax I suppose).

To enable the Sena speakers required Boom! Audio Bluetooth Device Manager desktop software version 1.7 (the previous release didn't have the option to enable them) and a firmware update to version 2.4.

Recently I plugged my headset into my computer and was prompted to update the desktop to version 1.8 and agreed. The option to enable the speakers ("HD Speaker Accessory") was no longer available so I went back to 1.7. Then I was prompted to update the headset firmware to 2.5.1. I did the firmware update on one of the headsets and left the other at 2.4 but I can't tell a difference.

Tonight I plugged my headsets in again and now I'm being prompted to update the desktop to 1.8.2 and the firmware to 2.5.1. I can't find release notes on these updates and Harley CS can't tell me why the versions on the web are so old or where the updates are coming from. I'm wondering if the newest releases are for the RF version of the speakers, if the Sena HD speakers are also supported and if the use of "HD Speaker Accessory" is now the default (so the enable/disable option is removed)? (Note that the Harley SIP site to download software and firmware still only has versions 1.7 and 2.3)

I do see that the instructions on the new RF speakers specifically say that tuning is implemented via a firmware update and setup in the headset mobile app (what mobile app?). It then mentions to go to the P&A section of the Harley website for more details but I can't find anything. This whole thing is very confusing and Harley's software/firmware version control, including release notes, sucks badly.
I couldn't agree more. Very confusing. I just opened the Boom Audio Bluetooth Device Manager on my Mac and was prompted for the v1.8.2 update as well:

I clicked the button for release notes and it took me to this website:

https://firmware.sena.com/senablueto...ase_notes.html

All the versions listed on that site are the Sena versions though and do not match H-D version numbering. So confusing.

In regards to the mobile app, I'm assuming they are talking about the Sena mobile app. I used that to enable "HD Speaker Accessory" when I got the Sena HD speakers. I'm assuming that is the same setting used for the RF H-D speakers.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:52 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
there is a sena 30k utility available in the app store. does the same things that the desktop app does, or the settings through the whim. it is not hd specific, though until a firmware update was done, it would not recognize our hd branded 30ks. they finally came out with the firmware upgrade (this was a couple of years ago so i forget the version numbers) and it has been working since.

Last edited by skratch; 02-16-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:15 AM
ZBoT
Cruiser

After upgrading to v1.8.2 I was prompted for a firmware update to v3.3 for my 30K. This is currently not listed in the H-D SIP site. After updating the firmware the new setting for the H-D Stage 1 speakers shows up. So it is different than the Sena HD Speaker setting. I haven't had a chance to try the new speakers with the proper H-D setting yet.

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate Helmet Speakers