Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deal's gap under police assault,the dragon slained by cops

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: deal's gap under police assault,the dragon slained by cops

I was once a victim of the over-zealous Federal Park Police in NC. I was trapped behind an elderly couple going 15mph on highway 26 heading to the Gap when they pulled to the shoulder to let me by. Two miles later, a Fed Park officer in his jeep pulled me over. I was actually running 5mph under the posted limit. Seems he knew that I was behind this car at an earlier intersection and when he caught up to the car, I was no longer behind it. What followed was a brilliant bit of fiction. He filled out the front and wrote a novel on the back of the ticket outlining the hienous act of civil disobedience that I had perpetrated on the poor citizens of the county. Such things as exceeding safe speed, wreckless endangerment, passing on a double yellow, careless and wreckless, were all items that figured prominently in his story. On the side of the road, we talked about bikes, the weather, fishing....When he handed me the ticket and I read it, all I could say was 'wow, did I do all that?'I hired Robinsvilles best attorney, paid the price and got it all tossed. In the courtroomnegotiations, the officer told my attorney that he remembered me as the nicest guy he had pulled all day. Everyone else that day, and there was a room full, got charged with something. It pays to be nice!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds to me like maybethe "harrassment" by the Tennessee Troopers is working.What they're doing sure beats sticking a broomstick in thefront wheel of thost sport bikes when they passon thedouble yellow which is whatsome have suggested they do. You sure don't see all that many cruiser/touring parts on theTree of Shame.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
bezoar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen anything like it before. Even Sturgis is generally easy on Bikers.
Of course, I can understand how this might happen. Did you know that TN is the only state that can teach neither evolution or creation in school? Kinda makes you wonder how all those people got there in the first place ;-).

Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,255 Likes on 6,095 Posts

Im surprised it took this long. With all the stories you hear of wrecks and close calls, people riding like di*ks. It was just a matter of time before Johnny Law started cracking down on it.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 AM
onthedish1
Tourer

I rode the Dragon last week, was there for the enforcement, and rather glad to see it considering the many bikers who take chances with their lives and our by passing in turns, etc. It's a great rodeway, but let's be safe out there and not risk our lives and those of the others riding the road for a thrill. If you want to race and corner at speed, take it to the track. Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia has bike races all the time, take the racing where it belongs...the track!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 AM
HangFire
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tizone

True... the aholes created the need for the 'presence', but I still don't think that justifies the harassment. Pull people over for breaking the law no sweat... they deserve it. But if they are rally pulling everyone over and then looking for violations 'after the fact', that's harassment.

Ahole bikersasked forit, ahole cops are overreacting.
The constitution of the United States guarantees that you cannot be stopped/seized without reason. Stopping someone without a law violation is an illegal seizure, and leaves the officer open to civil liability. I SERIOUSLY doubt that these folks are being stopped for no reason. I've heard plenty of idiots saying that I stopped them for nothing, or accusing me of singling them out for some silly reason or another. If I were genuinely stopped without cause, I would be the first to complain on another officer, or consider some type of legal action.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 AM
DaleG
Advanced

All you have to do is look at all the crap going on there to see why the cops are cracking down. YouTube is loaded with wrecks like it is a badge of pride. It could be that they are trying to make it less popular place to go. I wouldn't got there just because it does not appear to be a safe place to ride. But then I am old and careful.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They could make all this easy by banning vehicles with plastic content higher than 20%. We'd have the road all to ourselves up there.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:58 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There is always a large police presence at our popular riding spots out here in Kalifonia. I stopped going for a while as a result. There are too many people on bikes that do not know how to ride and are crashing on a weekly basis, not to mention homeowners in the area bitching about the noise and lack of safety with bikes on their roads. If you live a mile from a popular motorcycle hang out you will see a lot of bikes and hear them too...[:@] It doesn't really matter to me, I just stay within the speed limits and take it easy. I let the squids pick up the tab(tickets). In the summer the weekend warriors come out.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: turtleman57
I hope this state remembers that the state H.O.G. Rally is in just a few weeks away, and I for one will not be riding the dragon r even the skyway until this all clears up. There are many other roads to ride. I will keep my money in my state.
I already decided the Dragon is off limits for me in the future, this after watching numerous internet videos of dangerous driving by truckers and sportbikers. I've done it twice in the past, and that's enough.

Quick Reply: deal's gap under police assault,the dragon slained by cops