Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very long rides - tell about them

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:09 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very long rides - tell about them

How long are your rides?
How far do you go in a single day?

WednesdayAug 1stI rode from Colorado Springs to Las Vegas (830 miles) in about 13 hours.
Sunday Aug 5th I road back, but at Grand Junction I hit rain for the last 300 miles so the return took 18 hours.

The ride is easy, all on major highways.
I25 to C470 to I70 to 50.

My gas stops were 15 min or so stopping ever 120 to 150 miles.
I ate 2 meals stopping for about 40 min each.

I recomend this ride alot. The view from summit county on to Las Vegas is grand.

...gene

Old 08-10-2007, 06:52 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Very long rides - tell about them

Hey Gene,

Did a similiar ride in July , my wife and I ended our 4600 mile trip to the rockies with a 825 mile run from Sturgis, SD to Davenport, Iowa in 13 hours.That trip got me thinking about a Iron Butt ride and it just so happens that I have a lot of hard(read; leather neck buddies) headed buddies that were planning a ride and we are about to do the 1000 & 1500 rides next month. Will let you know how we d

Jeff

Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

I did a nice soul searching ride from Ct to Southern Ohio across route 6 in Penn. That was 1100 miles and took (need to look at notes to confirm) approx 15 hours. Then rode there a couple days along 555 and other cool rodes. From there went to MD and spent 2 days there partying with friends. Off to ride the BR Pkwy and spent the night at the start. Then to Fort Mills SC for a night and then 2 days to get to Clear Water FL.... Spent a night there and partyed again.... Then next day off early morning to Key West. Spent another night there partying (friend a cop there). Next day off again to head to Dover Del. for the Nascar race...... Took 2 days to get there and spent 4 nights there partying hard..... Left that following monday to head back to Ct (6 hours) and was home..... 5200 miles total and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

With the right bike, long rides are OK. It also depends on the ambient temperature and other weather conditions. If it's really hot, a long ride can lull you to sleep - kinda dangerous. I usually like to set a reasonable goal and then take my time. However, I have done a 900 mile day on a BMW R1100RT a few years ago. I hurt like hell when it was over - seams on my shorts had rubbed me raw. For me, 500-600 miles a day are enjoyable - any more starts to be a bit masochistic. [&o]

Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Longest ride I ever took was from Columbus, Ga to Halifax, Canada. ETS's from the Army in January, 71. Road up the east coast on a Honda 750, K, I believe. I saw Independence Hall, the USS Consititution, The Libery Bell, The Bay of Fundy, ate wild blueberries when I had to camp in a pasture because a KOA Campground wouldn't let me stay the night, said my kind wasn't welcome. That was back in 1971. Sadly, I didn't take a camera and now I regret it. Only pics I have are in my mind. But back then I was young, single and full of energy and wanted to get on the road. Couldn't buy a disposable camera back then.I don't know if this old body could do it again, though. But now that I'm retired and have a much better bike, who knows. But I'm scared to ask the wife - she might say "Yes" and then what would I do.

The longest ride I have planned to make in the future is to either Corinth, MS or Gettysburg (I enjoy knocking around Civil War places).

Hack

Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Well just left Nemo, SD and headed straight for Ft Worth, Texas. Ended up being 1108 miles in 22 hours, that probably will not happen again.

Think I will stick to the 400/ 500 mile day trips.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:19 PM
thall
Road Master

IN sept. I wil be making a ridefrom ozona tx. to parsons ks. 690 miles to go to a poker run a oldriding buddy puts on every year. I'mready to go. I don't think sept. will ever get here

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

Hey Bob

Was at Gettysburg in the winter of 89 and couldn't see all of the sights because of thewinter schedulebut that is one place worth seeing. I came away with an un-easy feeling to say the least. When over looking the famous wheat field where the battle of 1863 took placeI looked down to see an American soldiers burial spot, It didn't matter that he was north or south, I was almost standing on it. It freaked me out but thats how they buied themthen, right where they died. It didn't help that it was an overcast day and that it made it feel eary. Anyway go to Gettysburg and enjoy.

Jeff

Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to the Rally in Loveland, Co last year (Son on his '05 RKS and I on th '01RKC) - Spent a few to many days at a friends house there in Loveland and had to Dead-Head it back home (Palm Springs, Ca area)... Hit every kind of weather - Cool Mornings - Rain in the Rockies - Heat in Nevada and a wind\lighting storm from Nevada State Line all the way to Barstow...

1085 miles in 18.5 hrs.... It was the Son's first LONG HARD RIDE - something he'll not soon forget... (lol)

Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 PM
son7771
Cruiser

Just made a trip from Sturgis to wi in 13.5 hours 934 miles!! I had 4 other guys that told me I wouldnt get it done due to the partying I did the night before 2.5 hour of not so good sleep!! There was alot of people smokin the tires that nite lol!! The 4 others said they would stop and get a hotel when they got tired somewhere around soix falls. Well i just kept talking them into going one more gas stop, Handing out advil for the sore butts and they all made it back and are very proud of the fact that they did it!!! I was tired and I had just called the wife and said I would be home saturday and suprised her at 9pm by ringing the doorbell telling her good night while on cell phone (I coasted the bike down the road so she would not hear it) well when she answred the door it was on from there I was one lonely biker for 8 days and needed some lovin!!!! Ps after a shower of course!!!! 3000 miles in 7 days getting pelted by rain and fog on beartooth pass I was ready for some much needed sleep!!!

Quick Reply: Very long rides - tell about them