Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very long rides - tell about them

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
lilarlen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Very long rides - tell about them

The longest ride my dad and I took was Mexico to Canada 1664 miles in 23:45. (We each rode our own bike)

It was kind of hard to figure out what to wear that day, triple digit heat in Mexico, high 30's in North Dakota at night.

But we had us some fun!

Little Arlen

Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Longest one day 914 from northern Ca to Phx AZ, another 1200 in the next couple days and then back home 917. I am going to attempt the Iron Butt later this year when it cools down some. Comfortable bike and seat make it possible for sure, I could not beleive how good i actually felt afterwards. Rode years ago from Seattle area to southwest georgia in 6 days and well over 4000 miles on a GS suzuki !! young and dumb for sure.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM
mechanic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back a week ago from the longest trip i've taken so far. Went from Toronto, Ont. to Newfoundland. From Toronto to Newbrunswick was really boring, lack of scenery, but once we got into Newbrunswick the countryside was beautiful. Took a ferry over to Newfoundland from North Sydney and the scenery there was even more beautiful. Got to the point where taking pictures would do it justice. The people were great & we met up with many travelers from all over. I think taking the bike was the best way to travel because you can get into the out of the way places that the larger vehicles can't get to. Went into the small fishing towns & it was like looking at a book. Got to see an iceberg one day. Of course there were the moose which we stayed away from. We came over one rise in the road & at the bottom of this hill there was this moose on the side of the road. Of course your mind and heart start racing & you slow down. get up to this moose & wouldn't you know it someone had cut out a life size moose on plywood & set it up on the side of the road. Complete with the paint job & everything. Scared the hell out of us both but had a good laugh later. If you manage to time it right newfoundland has a "George Street Festival" once a year. Close the street off from end to end. Bring in live bands & everyone has a blast. After a while the beer starts to taste bad so you find something else to drink, like Newphie Screech. The wasn't a day we didn't ride during our two weeks. Some days longer than others but never had any kind of problem. Can't say enough about the beautiful scenery though. We took pictures of beautiful & georgous and after a while found ourselves looking for spectacular. I highly recommend going there. Gas was never a problem. A place to stay was never a problem. There aren't many bridges to pull under if it rains so better to bring a suit with you. Out of 14 days only had two days with a little bit of rain.
Forgot to tell you i bought an 07 RK Custom in Jan. and buddy rides an 07 Honda Cruiser. They are like a couch on wheels and after putting a new seat on mine and getting many helpful hints onthis sitewe are already talking about our next trip.
Take care & ride safe

ps: Watch out for the moose, LOL

Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

With the right bike, long rides are OK. It also depends on the ambient temperature and other weather conditions. If it's really hot, a long ride can lull you to sleep - kinda dangerous. I usually like to set a reasonable goal and then take my time. However, I have done a 900 mile day on a BMW R1100RT a few years ago. I hurt like hell when it was over - seams on my shorts had rubbed me raw. For me, 500-600 miles a day are enjoyable - any more starts to be a bit masochistic. [&o]
I'm with Ted on this one. I did 600 miles last Saturday from Stevenson Ranch to Big Sur and back. The ride up PCH is slow, but stunning. That was a long 600 miles - took me almost 15 hours, but the scenery was incredible. I was pretty sore (but happy) by the end of the ride. I'm not sure, but I think that it may have been the longest ride I've done. I've done a whole bunch of 500+ milers - for me that's a nice relaxing range.

Doug

Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Longest single day ride I have ever been on was about 540 miles. Now, I know that 540 miles doesnt' sound like much, compared to the long runs some of you guys have put in....

but I did it two up.

with a Bride of just two weeks.

On a crotch rocket.

In the rain. (not both ways tho!!)

and, she has NEVER let me forget about it !!!

In reality, it wasn't horrible, but then again I was 20 yrs younger than I am now too. Rode back to Iowa from Central Mn on the Sunday that Sturgis was ending. I think I was riding the only ride rocket on I-35!

Since then, I havent done any more than 320 or so I in a day. I would rather relax and see the sights, as opposed to being in a big hurry to get to "the destination"

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1200 miles in three days...Peoira, IL to Topeka, Ks on a Friday, around Topeka and KC on Saturday, back to Peoria on Sunday. Mostly on two lane scenic roads.