Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell 2008 from 2009 roadking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 08:38 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,514 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Because of the fatter tire?
https://thekneeslider.com/2009-harle...me-is-all-new/

The following users liked this post:
Silent Glider (01-06-2022)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

So it's better because they mad a frame that was easier to manufacture? Ever look at the swingarm mount? The swing arm was necessary because of the fatter tire.

Add.

Not sure if the RK came with cruise,, IIRC the RKCs did but the 08s do have electronic throttle, were available with ABS and had IDS. The claim the 09s can handle 70 more LBs so I guess if you are a big guy with a big ol' lady it might be worthwhile..

Last edited by Max Headflow; 12-20-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:49 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,514 Likes on 2,712 Posts

So it's better because they mad a frame that was easier to manufacture? Ever look at the swingarm mount? The swing arm was necessary because of the fatter tire.

Add.

Not sure if the RK came with cruise,, IIRC the RKCs did but the 08s do have electronic throttle, were available with ABS and had IDS. The claim the 09s can handle 70 more LBs so I guess if you are a big guy with a big ol' lady it might be worthwhile..
My 2011 and my 2013 came with cruise, one was a classic the other a standard. Having had an 08, 11 and now a 13 I prefer the newer ones to the 08. The wider rear wheel is a big factor for the look not tire life - personal preference and Im sure it has better road holding in long sweepers. A skinny rear wheel on such a big heavy bike never made sense to me. The docking setup and redesigned rear fender struts is much better too. Not sure when the security system with FOB came in but my 08 RKP didn't have it and I missed that going from the 11 to an 08. The 08 didn't feel as planted and solid either but the ride was noticeably softer and comfortable. Same rear shocks on all 3 which could be the reason and Im thinking the heavier rear wheel taxed the borderline factory rear shocks.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,920 Likes on 19,370 Posts

Because of the fatter tire?
Well if you think that's the only "improvement" you might want to ride both ... I have and there is a marked difference in the ride and handling of the 2009 :>)

Old 12-21-2021, 08:32 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Well if you think that's the only "improvement" you might want to ride both ... I have and there is a marked difference in the ride and handling of the 2009 :>
Add the extra tire life and that sealed it for me.

GOV5 (01-05-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
My 2011 and my 2013 came with cruise, one was a classic the other a standard. Having had an 08, 11 and now a 13 I prefer the newer ones to the 08. The wider rear wheel is a big factor for the look not tire life - personal preference and Im sure it has better road holding in long sweepers. A skinny rear wheel on such a big heavy bike never made sense to me. The docking setup and redesigned rear fender struts is much better too. Not sure when the security system with FOB came in but my 08 RKP didn't have it and I missed that going from the 11 to an 08. The 08 didn't feel as planted and solid either but the ride was noticeably softer and comfortable. Same rear shocks on all 3 which could be the reason and Im thinking the heavier rear wheel taxed the borderline factory rear shocks.

I do know the earlier RKCs came with cruise. IIRC On the RKs it may have been an option. It may have been an option on all bikes but I did see them on 02 RKCs around here. As far as RKs go with mag wheels the early ones held the corners at speed just as well as the later bikes. I owned an 02 RKC. The 08 EGs and earlier were a little sloppier in the high speed corners but feel better below say 60 mph (IMO). I don't have issue with the skinny rear tire except for the mileage but for me it's only about 1000 miles difference and the smaller tires are cheaper. The skinner tire is much nicer going over grooves in the road at slower speeds. Higher speeds, the fatter tires is better. Fobs are pretty much the same if it has one between the 08 and 09. You are correct on the docking stuff. The saddle bag brackets were sturdier. I broke the lower tab on my 02 RKC at about 50K but my 07 has over 108K and they are still good and those bags have/had more stuff in them..

Kiwi_Tourer (10-17-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Well if you think that's the only "improvement" you might want to ride both ... I have and there is a marked difference in the ride and handling of the 2009 :>

I have ridden both the EGs / Street Glides and the RKs. IMO I liked the 02 RKC better than my 17 RK at any speed. The 09 ups feel heavier. The EGCs do feel a little more stable on choppy sweepers but the rest of the time the early ones feel better (IMO). You can push them all until they start wobbly.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:12 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

...I don't have issue with the skinny rear tire except for the mileage but for me it's only about 1000 miles difference...
I'm not sure what your use case is, but the mileage increase for me was dramatic.
On my '99,03, & '04 the most I could get was about 6k-ish miles. My first tire on the '09 got about 9K ish, and from there (I think they moved to a different compound) I now get 11K to 15k out of a rear.
The front isn't much different over the years. I usually just change it every 2 rear tires now.

On the cruise, I added it to my '99 as an accessory. It was the first year it was offered, and it was not plug-n-play. I think that came in '02. I think is was standard on some RKC, but I also don't think that was consistent. I also think it started coming standard on all touring in '14. When they moved to TBW, the accessory was a lot easier to add, but I don't think it was standard on all models yet.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by biglew55
I'm not sure what your use case is, but the mileage increase for me was dramatic.
On my '99,03, & '04 the most I could get was about 6k-ish miles. My first tire on the '09 got about 9K ish, and from there (I think they moved to a different compound) I now get 11K to 15k out of a rear.
The front isn't much different over the years. I usually just change it every 2 rear tires now.

On the cruise, I added it to my '99 as an accessory. It was the first year it was offered, and it was not plug-n-play. I think that came in '02. I think is was standard on some RKC, but I also don't think that was consistent. I also think it started coming standard on all touring in '14. When they moved to TBW, the accessory was a lot easier to add, but I don't think it was standard on all models yet.

I think a lot of it depends on tire selection. D402s will get about 6K ish miles on a skinny tired bike. E3 or CIIs I'd get about 8500 (02 RK or 07 EGC), On my 17 RK (same tires as 09 up TC) I'd get about 9500 out of the AEs. All rear. For me front tire lasts about 1.2 to 1.5 times the rear. CIIs on the 17 RK might have gotten more but the bike handled worse than a loose early bike for the last half the tire. I'd get bout 4500 out Avon cobras on the 02/07s and 5500 17 RK.

I will admit that the cruise on the early cabled bikes wasn't as good as the later fly by wire.. The module is becoming impossible to get, I'm not sure when it came standard on all bikes. I do believe all the ultras and above had it from from the start of TCs but others had it as a option.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:04 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on tire selection. D402s will get about 6K ish miles on a skinny tired bike. E3 or CIIs I'd get about 8500 (02 RK or 07 EGC), On my 17 RK (same tires as 09 up TC) I'd get about 9500 out of the AEs. All rear. For me front tire lasts about 1.2 to 1.5 times the rear. CIIs on the 17 RK might have gotten more but the bike handled worse than a loose early bike for the last half the tire. I'd get bout 4500 out Avon cobras on the 02/07s and 5500 17 RK.

I will admit that the cruise on the early cabled bikes wasn't as good as the later fly by wire.. The module is becoming impossible to get, I'm not sure when it came standard on all bikes. I do believe all the ultras and above had it from from the start of TCs but others had it as a option.
My comments for tires were all based on the Stock Dunlops. The Avons and Michellins I've tried just never seemed to be better, so I ended up back on Dunlops.

That's my recollection of the cruise as well.

Max Headflow (12-21-2021)

Quick Reply: How to tell 2008 from 2009 roadking?