Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER STOLEN-PLEASE READ. VERY IMPORTANT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER STOLEN-PLEASE READ. VERY IMPORTANT

First off, the loss of a father and husband is what concerns me. I am sure the boy would like to have the bike to remember his father, but I know he would rather have his father. Both are gone, now, and for that, I am sad. Hopefully, guilt, will bring the bike back, but that poor kids dad is gone forever.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER STOLEN-PLEASE READ. VERY IMPORTANT

ORIGINAL: Urbanbronco

I probably just took this the wrong way.I apologize if I got short on this. LPO (Leading Petty Officer), I was in the Navy and was assigned to lead the color guard for Los Angeles. It was a lot smaller operation than Arlington. We went above the guidelines and gave 21 gun salutes to any rank of service member or veteran that we had a detail on. It was an honor but still difficult to present the flag to the family. I'd really like to do the Patriot Guard but probably won't be able until my job changes or I retire.
Urbanbronco, I think we both got our wires crossed on this one. Probably because both of us care a lot about the death of Joseph's dad and the sacrilege of that inheritance bike being stolen. Thinks for letting me know what LPO means - I have absolutely no Navy experience. I was one of those guys who jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, but my father was in the Navy toward the end of WWII (served on a small carrier). Are you no longer doing the Color Guard thing?

I've been with the Patriot Guard a couple of times and can ride more now that I've retired. On both of the rides I did, there was total respect for the serviceman. In fact, folks were on the streets, lots of men were at attenton, a few were saluting, as the procession went past - there was no shouting or waving - I was proud of the honor to ride and be associated with it. I know the guard was formed to prevent protestors from disrupting funerals, but I can't image that happening. Maybe I niave. Here in the south, we pay respect to veterans who have passed on. They say the guard uses nonviolet means to garrantee that no one will interfere, but from the attitudes of the guys I rode with (I have the same attitude), they who go as far as needed to insure no one disrespected the service for the veteran. What really got me about the last one was that the date of PFC Harrellson's funeral marked the one year annivesary of his enlistment - he was so young! He could die for his country, but by Georgia and Alabama law, couldn't buy a handgun for himself, got to be 21 - and that's a crying shame.

If anything else develops, be sure to start a new post. I sure hope to see a future post about that bike being recovered.

Respectfully,
Hack

Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel sorry for the kid, not because of a harley but that he lost his dad. Its sad it was stolen, but im sure to the thief it was just another item to good to pass up. I think the best thing that could be done is to publish the story in the local paper and get it on the radio. Shame the thief into letting it be found. That is if he has a heart.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hack, your right. It was only posted out of concern.
No, the Color Guard was while I was on Active Duty.
That's why I'd like to do something with the Patriot Guard. I'll have to wait until I retire to do that though. I don't like commiting to something if my job won't allow me enough time to do it properly. I'm in the middle of 3 straight 72 hr weeks alternating 12 hr night/day shifts. It makes it real hard to have a life...my bike is my sanity.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Cache
Tourer

I appreciate the crime blotter link. Sad and tragic as it may be, crimes like this happen daily.

The storage place seems suspect to me. Perhaps they read about the death and decided who would miss this bike....it only adds insult to injury.

Hate to sound insentative but crime like this happens everyday. Criminals have no remorse or values.

And what do we expect the justice system to do? It's job? Stolen cars, motorcycles, Atv's? Heck, in my state, it's just don't it again, now get out of my courtroom.

Hopefully, some dealer might just step up and provide this 9 yr a nice present when he's able to ride a motorcycle.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:20 AM
mrblister
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not clear to me what area of the country the bike was stolen in.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arkansas...

Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Sheep
Tourer

I just read this on an offroad board I belong to. We have enough people on this forum that hopefully we can help with this.

http://www.guardonline.com/?module=d...mp;format=html
From the storage location and the timing of the theft tt was stolen by someone that knew the family and the circumstances.

Might not be parted out so there may be a chance of it being found but not likely.

Arkansas is a long way from here.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sheep

I just read this on an offroad board I belong to. We have enough people on this forum that hopefully we can help with this.

http://www.guardonline.com/?module=d...mp;format=html
From the storage location and the timing of the theft tt was stolen by someone that knew the family and the circumstances.

Might not be parted out so there may be a chance of it being found but not likely.

Arkansas is a long way from here.
“I came home from vacation a couple of weeks ago and found I had a letter from John,” Skinner said. “He asked me to start his motorcycle for him, he would be coming home in a couple of months.”
Skinner said before he could go to the storage building where the bike was kept, an employee of his discovered it missing, along with Skinner’s four-wheeler."

I'd be looking into the employee that "discovered" it missing.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Urbanbronco Who are you to have any impression of me? Do you know me? My heart goes out to all the families who have lost loved ones and family members, due to the war on terrorism. Not everything that goes on in this world is just and fair. I was one of the 108 that read the story. Your first post was at
HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER STO... - 8/9/2007 7:12:24 PM
Your second post was at
RE: HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER... - 8/9/2007 7:13:40 PM I have to wonder how this can have 108 views over the last 2 1/2 hours

Does your clock run different than mine??????????

Quick Reply: HARLEY WILLED TO 9 YEAR OLD SON OF DECEASED SOLDIER STOLEN-PLEASE READ. VERY IMPORTANT