Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Roadking front air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 01:06 PM
cany
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 01 Roadking front air suspension

Hey guys first off My bad if this has been asked before Im new to riding a road king It was Dads bike now I have it one of the front fork seals is leaking oil and Im guessing air too because I loose air pressure after a while. Few guys at work have put the progressive shocks in the front but they dont have the front air suspension. I gotta take the front apart to fix the leaking seal my question is would I better off going to progressive shocks or keeping the stock air ride

Thanks in advance

Old 11-15-2021, 07:10 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 2,764 Posts

If you have not done so:

Check for leaks at the air hose fittings at top of forks BEFORE taking front end apart

Old 11-15-2021, 07:13 AM
cany
Intermediate

I havent checked for air leaks I assumed if the seal is leaking oil air will leak out also

Old 11-15-2021, 07:15 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

I`m advising that air AND oil can leak at fittings
Doesn`t mean you don`t have bad fork seal , just a lot less work
Happened to me once `99 RK
Banjo bolt at top leaking, ran down and made me assume seals

The following users liked this post:
cany (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 07:25 AM
cany
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eighteight
I`m advising that air AND oil can leak at fittings
Doesn`t mean you don`t have bad fork seal , just a lot less work
Happened to me once `99 RK
Banjo bolt at top leaking, ran down and made me assume seals
Thanks I will check everything before I take it apart

Old 11-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Rob Courtier
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cany
Hey guys first off My bad if this has been asked before Im new to riding a road king It was Dads bike now I have it one of the front fork seals is leaking oil and Im guessing air too because I loose air pressure after a while. Few guys at work have put the progressive shocks in the front but they dont have the front air suspension. I gotta take the front apart to fix the leaking seal my question is would I better off going to progressive shocks or keeping the stock air ride

Thanks in advance
front air shocks? I have them, too. It a matter of choice. I kept and serviced mine. ( yes, it can be done), rather than spend $100's of dollars , and a lot of extra work on them. Replace the seals, and make sure the "air bags" are ok, and continue to use them. A lot of the the "leak" in the air can be simply traced to the seals. "If in doubt, replace the seal!" Check "seating" of air lines, and replace the fittings if needed. My 2001 Electra Glide still has the same system it had when it was new. Maintenance! The "key" to any problem. ( you can also "rebuild " the rear ones, too! Even though Harley says it "can't be done!")

cany (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 09:02 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

My mid-price mod
Race tech straight rate springs
Ricor Intiminators
5 w fluid
5-7 psi of air

cany (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 09:05 AM
cany
Intermediate

Thanks guys

Old 11-15-2021, 11:34 AM
zn14
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the air system (hoses, fittings,etc) and plugged the top fitting. I use 20wt Bellray fork oil and am very happy with the results.
My bike is also a 2001 FLHR.

cany (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 12:13 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by cany

Thanks in advance
Part #1
It appears that you have a 2001 Road King.
Seems like you might have stock suspension on front.
You are reporting a leaky seal at one of the sliders. Guessing that you checked and that you are seeing fluid at actual seal? and not at drain bolt ? or air hose at top? or grease from neck?
You are also reporting a loss of air but we do not know what you are using to add air and to measure air.
It takes very very little air to pump up suspension so a special air pump is used..
A standard pump or gage will not really work. One tap at nozzle and pressure changes a lot.
Taking a big guess that you are not seeing a lubrication grease leak from neck that weeps on left fork leg when bike is on side stand.
That grease leak is sometimes incorrectly identified as a fork oil leak.
Excesses neck grease sits on lower triple tree and then runs down left side when bike is placed on side stand.
If you have a loss of fluid then system will have trouble with air pressure too.... BUT you really need to know what is wrong..
Part #2
Mileage and condition of bike not reported and depth of your pockets or desire to spend money unknown.
Not clear if you plan to do this yourself or pay someone as that would weigh on discussion too.
For about $50 you can change the seals and fluid yourself.
That will get you riding.
If you change the front end suspension then might as well change rear too and then things start to add up fast financially.
*It would suck to spend money on on incorrectly identified situation when the wrong tool for adding/measuring air was not used or just having a grease weep from too much being added.
:

OkieBill (11-17-2021)

Quick Reply: 01 Roadking front air suspension