Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Advice Please... Torque wrenches...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Tool Advice Please... Torque wrenches...

ORIGINAL: Wags1

You will need at least two. One calibrated in inch-lbs and the other calibrated in ft-lbs. Craftsman makes a 3/8" drive inch-lb torque wrench and a 1/2" drive ft-lb torque wrench. They are fine for "personal" wrenching use.
I agree. The 1/2" drive ft. lb. wrench is nice for the larger sockets such as for the axle. I bought 2 Craftsman... one 3/8" drive inch pound and another 3/8" drive ft. lb. - both clicker type. Wish I had gone with the 1/2" drive ft lb from the start - vs. the 3/8". The 3/8" won't work with the larger sockets.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: sknyfats

I don't use tools every day (like a full time mechanic)- so the brand or country of origin is of no matter to me. I bought a cheap torque wrench (yes, at Harbor Freight & not the family business)that only specifies foot pounds (doing the math to determine inch pounds is a piece of cake & most manufacturers actually provide a cheat sheet to boot). Two torque wrenches is not needed.
My larger HF wrench goes down to 10 ft. lbs., IIRC, which is 120 in. lbs. Many HD bolts require TQ of <120 in. lbs., so I can't use the big wrench for these applications.
The conversion from ft. lbs. to in. lbs. and vice versa is easy using a factor of 12.

As many mechanics will tell you & others have already said - you can buy top shelf - and guess what? Even they still break without warning - on the first use even. Happens all the time. Go ask your local snap-on & craftsman folks how many returns/exchanges they process on a daily basis.
One thing I failed to mention earlier is that the HF wrenches carry a lifetime warranty. They probably break too, but on the rare occasion I've had to replace a HF tool they've done it without a receipt and without question. I bought a 134a AC gauge set for my car and one of the plastic handles broke about two years later. They replaced it outright.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by law (federal weights and standards) all torque wrenches must meet
the same percentage or error and accuracy.
So you can buy the most expensive or cheapest.
I bought my last three 3/8, 1/2, 3/4" drive at Harbor Freight.
I tested all of them against a buddies snap on set.
Just doing a click test after nut was tight at low, mid, and upper torque of each of the three sizes, they all clicked at same setting.
Not scientific I know but good enough for most applications.
A 3/8" drive will do most everything on your bike.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 HF torque wrenches that I bought 1 1/2 years ago at HF. One is a 1/4" Drive 20 to 200 inch lb, a 3/8" Drive0 to 80 ft lb and a 1/2" Drive 10 to 150 ft lb and I think I spent a total of no more then $40 for all 3 of them on sale. They seem to work just fine.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All mine are Snap-on clickers. Old but reliable and accurate and service able. Snap-on provides a recalibration service if necessary.