Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned: Harman Kardon Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 09:27 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Default Lessons learned: Harman Kardon Head Unit

I have a 2009 Electra Glide Classic, which I bought used in 2009. I have ridden it for about 100,000 miles over the last 12 years with very few problems. A few years ago, my CD player in my stock, Harman Kardon head unit stopped working. The radio still worked, but I don't listen to the radio very often, which means... no tunes while riding for a while now. I don't miss it much, but I do like having it. So, last week I pulled it out of the fairing and sent it off to be repaired. Yesterday, I get a call from the shop to tell me that they had repaired my unit and that it required replacing the CD player. This is the advice they gave me...

- Check your fairing brackets. In fact, mine were broken and replaced several years ago. I guess this is a known problem. There is little doubt that the broken brackets were responsible for the head unit bouncing around and most likely the reason why the CD player failed. The thing about the broken brackets was that I never noticed they were broken. So, you need to remove the outer fairing and inspect them every now and then.
- Replace the front handlebar riser bolts. Apparently, the original stock bolt heads are too tall and will come in contact with the head unit. I imagine that, in combination with the brackets being broken, they acted like little hammers hanging on the bottom of the unit. This is another known problem and there are replacement parts: P/N 12600003. They're like $1.25 at your HD dealership. I have no idea whether or not mine have or have not been replaced already. They don't look too tall, but I will be picking up a couple today just to be safe though.

I am expecting it back home Friday, hopefully soon enough in the day to get it buttoned back up so that I can go for a ride on Saturday. I can't wait to have tunes again! I could have replaced the unit with something new and more modern, but... I have some emotional attachment to it. lol

Old 11-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

The lesson I learned when I had a bike with an HK head unit was to replace it with something useful.

The following 3 users liked this post by Keithhu:
Deuuuce (12-10-2021), leachman (11-05-2021), lionsm13 (12-09-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:48 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,155 Likes on 2,213 Posts

I also still have the factory HK unit in my '07, but since I added a quick connect to the tourpak, I no longer have an antenna, which basically renders the radio useless.
I typically stream from my phone to my BT helmet, but I also wanted the ability to stream to the head unit, so I invested about $10 into a device called a "BluStream".
It plugs into the cig lighter port (and provides a USB port) & the aux input. It powers up w/ the ignition and will auto-connect to the phone if I leave it plugged into the cig lighter outlet.
I didn't connect the green phone button, as I only care about sending music to the head unit.
Pretty sure this version is obsolete now, but the newer ones are almost identical and also under $10.
Pairing is easy, and the main component is attached to my frame by the neck with a velcro square.
The best part about this solution is that you don't have to recharge the device, or replace the radio.

The following users liked this post:
WVHARLEEMANN (12-10-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Glad to hear you're getting your HU fixed up. Did you send it to Iron Cross? When I had my previous 2012 UC, I sent mine there for some upgrades...preamp outputs & changed the backlight to white (so much easier to see than the stock red/orange). I know CD's are "old school" but I remember the sound being so much better.

The other thing I added and you may want to consider is Bluetooth. There's cheaper little plug-in options but I went with the Metra Saddle Tramp BT-HD01 unit that's made more HD bikes. Functions just like a Bluetooth equipped radio should and I was very pleased with it when I had it. This just gives you another music option should your CD player die again. Plus...no need to carry all those CD's...just stream music straight from your phone be it your downloaded music, or your favorite streaming service like Spotify, Pandora, etc.

This is the unit I'm referencing...
Amazon Amazon

keith_stepp (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 11:37 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Glad to hear you're getting your HU fixed up. Did you send it to Iron Cross? When I had my previous 2012 UC, I sent mine there for some upgrades...preamp outputs & changed the backlight to white (so much easier to see than the stock red/orange). I know CD's are "old school" but I remember the sound being so much better.

The other thing I added and you may want to consider is Bluetooth. There's cheaper little plug-in options but I went with the Metra Saddle Tramp BT-HD01 unit that's made more HD bikes. Functions just like a Bluetooth equipped radio should and I was very pleased with it when I had it. This just gives you another music option should your CD player die again. Plus...no need to carry all those CD's...just stream music straight from your phone be it your downloaded music, or your favorite streaming service like Spotify, Pandora, etc.

This is the unit I'm referencing...https://www.amazon.com/Metra-BT-HD01.../dp/B01LYSUBVD
I wasn't sure if it was cool to name them, but yes... I used Iron Cross and so far... they rock! Super easy to work with them and I was surprised by the personal attention I've gotten.

I considered adding Bluetooth and preamp outputs, but... I don't mind being old school. I'm shopping for a new modular helmet that will be compatible with a Bluetooth headset and then just stream from my phone. I am doing this right now with earbuds and I'm super happy with that configuration. I only carry a couple of CD's, which are "mix" CD's of my favorite songs and I'm pretty happy with that too. Really, I don't listen to a lot of music when I am riding, so I don't need a big library.

FWIW, I have not yet tried listening to my earbuds while riding. While I haven't tried fitting my modular helmet on with my earbuds, I am pretty sure that it would be uncomfortable, if not impossible. I would have to wear my half helmet and in my experience so far, the earbuds may not get it done. I will be testing it out though, just to make sure. I prefer wearing a modular when I am doing anything more than running errands though.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

👍 👍 to Iron Cross. The worked in my radio for my ‘12 twice:
1) Installed rear audio input & bluetooth
2) repaired cracked main board…aggravated by my failure to properly secure it when I reinstalled it from #1 above.

Excellent service at a fair price at Iron Cross.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Here's another music suggestion:
1. Modify/install a rear aux connection on your HK radio. If you are handy, this is easily doable. Plans/instructions have been posted on this forum a number of times.
https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/ha...vidson-stereo/

2. Get an MP3 player or even a Garmin GPS that supports MP3 output via AUX connection and wire to AUX port on radio.

jimsuver (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 12:45 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I wasn't sure if it was cool to name them, but yes... I used Iron Cross and so far... they rock! Super easy to work with them and I was surprised by the personal attention I've gotten.

I considered adding Bluetooth and preamp outputs, but... I don't mind being old school. I'm shopping for a new modular helmet that will be compatible with a Bluetooth headset and then just stream from my phone. I am doing this right now with earbuds and I'm super happy with that configuration. I only carry a couple of CD's, which are "mix" CD's of my favorite songs and I'm pretty happy with that too. Really, I don't listen to a lot of music when I am riding, so I don't need a big library.

FWIW, I have not yet tried listening to my earbuds while riding. While I haven't tried fitting my modular helmet on with my earbuds, I am pretty sure that it would be uncomfortable, if not impossible. I would have to wear my half helmet and in my experience so far, the earbuds may not get it done. I will be testing it out though, just to make sure. I prefer wearing a modular when I am doing anything more than running errands though.
Yup...lots here have used Iron Cross and they provide stellar work & customer service.

I hear ya on the Bluetooth headset. I have a pair of Cardo PackTalk (Bold & Black) Bluetooth comms that my wife & I use when touring. I have mine mounted in a 3/4 helmet and the sound is fantastic! Locally I wear a half helmet and listen to the bike (upgraded) audio. But if I'm gonna be doing a lot of highway running, long distances, or this time of year when it gets cold here in the north, I wear the 3/4 and listen through the headset. That being said, I'm currently looking for a modular helmet as well to replace the 3/4...thinking a Simpson Mod Bandit.

keith_stepp (11-03-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 11:08 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

I am on my third stock radio and it is going out too. I had the first one redone by Iron Cross. They do excellent work and they gave you good advice. But it's my opinion that no matter what they do to your unit and no matter how well you maintain your fairing it will go out again like mine did. There is no way to make them survive. I have 139,000 miles on my 2009 Streetglide and I can't get one to last more than 3 years. I keep putting used ones back in because I've been finding them for sale used on the forum for $100. Right now I can't find one so I may end up spending the extra and going aftermarket. I don't use the CD player or the radio, I have my phone connected to the auxiliary input on the front. The circuit boards went out the first 3 times and the sound would cut out. This time the screen is out. I don't want to fix the stock unit.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:28 AM
Jman49
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metra Saddle Tramp

Originally Posted by lefty33

This is the unit I'm referencing...https://www.amazon.com/Metra-BT-HD01.../dp/B01LYSUBVD
Thanks for the info Lefty33. You mention that it works just like a Bluetooth radio should. Can you tell me, do you still have all the functions of the handlebar controls such as volume and switching the song? How about the passenger controls? I'd be looking to put this on my 2009 Ultra Classic. I have also though about just getting a Bluetooth transmitter that just plugs into the cigarette lighter. Connects to your phone Bluetooth and transmits it to the stereo through a preselected FM station. But going this way you would loose being able to change songs without doing it on your phone.
Wonder if you would retain that option still with the unit you talked about?
Thanks in advance for any info!!

Last edited by Jman49; 12-04-2021 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Lessons learned: Harman Kardon Head Unit