Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 FLHXS and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022 | 02:55 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,171 Likes on 1,164 Posts

this has been a cool thread to follow along on.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 12:53 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,280 Likes on 7,401 Posts

I preformed the 5k service on the SGS yesterday evening. The bike is one year old with 5097 total miles. The lowest one year total on a bike for me ever. But the 17 CVO did click over 46k on Saturday.

I used Syn3 in the engine with black filter, and I went with the HD gear oil in the transmission and the primary.

I did purchase the Jim’s Ultimate Clutch Adjusting Tool and it proved to be very handy for the clutch adjustment. Overnight on Amazon Prime.

The Carolina Girl followed a thread recently on custom derby covers. She really liked the Trask see through unit called the “Assault”. I ordered it for her and this was the perfect time to install. Of course there are no instructions. It’s straight forward, but I would have liked to have seen torque specs. I used the HD torque specs in the manual and no screws snapped off. It turned out sharp and plays in with the chrome and black contrast we have going with this bike.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 10-10-2022 at 12:57 PM.
6113_ (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:05 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,227 Likes on 810 Posts

Was your clutch out of adjustment or just checking it?
Im all about buying tools, even ones I know Ill never use. Especially if says snap on, its a weakness I have and I admit it.

StreetGlide2021 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022 | 02:30 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Im all about buying tools, even ones I know Ill never use. Especially if says snap on, its a weakness I have and I admit it.

It was out of adjustment. I’m pretty sure it was my fault when I added the extension for the handlebars. I would occasionally not get the lever pulled in enough before lifting up on the shift lever. I also wanted to learn how the adjustment works and do it properly.

I hope to test ride her this evening to confirm everything is correct.

Old 10-11-2022 | 11:45 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
It was out of adjustment. I’m pretty sure it was my fault when I added the extension for the handlebars. I would occasionally not get the lever pulled in enough before lifting up on the shift lever. I also wanted to learn how the adjustment works and do it properly.

I hope to test ride her this evening to confirm everything is correct.

Just to recap this is something the dealer is supposed to do and check at each service. I’m trying to become more proficient at everything on my bikes. I really think you can get by fine without this tool after watching the following video. This is one of the best videos I have found on the process.

FLASH1970 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 08:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Arlen Ness a fuel Cap

Replaced the flush mount gas cap.

To say I am disappointed in the HD flush mount gas cap would be an understatement.

I was excited about adding it and thought it looked great. The first few times I used it was easy peasy. My first concern came up in Tazewell, VA following a ride on the Back of the Dragon. If was very hot that day and I could not get the cap to turn and pop up. It was so hot from being in the sun that I could barely touch it with my fingers. Finally got it opened and we made it home.

One thing I noticed was the plastic ring held by adhesive seemed to move off center from the heat. It would contact the ribs on the outer edge of the cap. Once home I struggled again and it appeared their was something sticky on the threads of the tank. I cleaned it with alcohol, checked the cap and put some lubricant on it and all seemed okay. Next time I needed fuel it was a hassle once again. I was totally perplexed off the bike the cap works perfectly.

I removed it and bought a sweet little cap from Arlen Ness. The Carolina Girl and I both like it and the unknown problem is solved.

Here is the flush cap I purchased from HD that I removed.

This is the Arlen Ness cap. I found it on Dennis Kirk but they were out of stock. Ordered from Revzilla which had it and I also had $8 bucks in Zella points which helped.

Old 10-21-2022 | 08:56 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

For anyone who happens to have issues with the H-D flush cap sticking: I fought the same fight but solved the problem by using dielectric silicone grease on the cap and tank threads. I used a swab to apply the silicone grease anywhere friction might exist. If you try it, be careful to keep any traces of the grease off the top of the cap, your fingers, etc.

Cosmic Razorback (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022 | 08:48 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by StoneTrekker
For anyone who happens to have issues with the H-D flush cap sticking: I fought the same fight but solved the problem by using dielectric silicone grease on the cap and tank threads. I used a swab to apply the silicone grease anywhere friction might exist. If you try it, be careful to keep any traces of the grease off the top of the cap, your fingers, etc.
Thanks man, glad I am not the only one. I doubt I’ll go back to the flush cap at this point.

StoneTrekker (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022 | 08:51 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,007 Likes on 12,902 Posts

I steered away from the flush mount on the Road King as I didn't think the paint would hold up to the constant touching, turning, twisting on the cap.

Old 10-22-2022 | 10:50 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Thanks man, glad I am not the only one. I doubt I’ll go back to the flush cap at this point.
Don't blame you a bit. I fought with mine a couple times to the point of total aggravation. Your Arlen Ness cap looks absolutely cool.

Cosmic Razorback (10-22-2022)

Quick Reply: 2021 FLHXS and Upgrades