Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Muffler question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 AM
DoubLeL
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quiet Muffler question....

Ok after both hubby and myself reading tons of posts of combinations of A/C~ECM~Mufflers and after a bottle of Ibuprofen and still wanting to get the heat down on our '07 street glide, here is my main issue.

If I had my way I'd love to leave the bike stock plus the oil cooler we had installed.. oh and hubbys thigh heat shields (wanna keep the jewels from burning up) anyways I like the sound of the stock pipes (been there done that got the bumper sticker & teeshirt having the loud pipes on other bikes) and we really enjoy the more quietness of the stock pipes and just jamming to the tunes down the highway.

So here's the question if we have to go the whole route of changing the above listing out which mufflers will allow more air flow BUT not increase the sound? Or if any actually can do that?

Thanks in advance for any and all info,
DoubLeL & Ranger

Old 08-07-2007, 02:14 AM
DoubLeL
Advanced
Default RE: Quiet Muffler question....

Whelp seems I should have typed in "quiet mufflers" in the search as I've now found a few posts on the HD Touring Mufflers model #65259-00

Ok now that changes the question to a bit more of, will these pipes allow enough air flow (along with the Sert & high flow A/C) to really make a difference in the heat issue? Remember this is not about performance but trying to get the bugger COOLER! Damn my right leg is taken a beating []

Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change the Air Kit and install a fuel management system without the need to replace the mufflers - this will allow the bike to breath better and the management system will be able to enrich the fuel system allowing the bike to run cooler - would also recommend using a good syn oil like AMSOIL or MOBIL 1 - this too will reduce the heat build-up

You can even just add a Fuel Management system... But don't plan on any performance gains...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Drelkor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DoubLeL

Whelp seems I should have typed in "quiet mufflers" in the search as I've now found a few posts on the HD Touring Mufflers model #65259-00

Ok now that changes the question to a bit more of, will these pipes allow enough air flow (along with the Sert & high flow A/C) to really make a difference in the heat issue? Remember this is not about performance but trying to get the bugger COOLER! Damn my right leg is taken a beating []
If you don't want as much of a significant investment, you might consider doing the A/C, an ECU tuner, and something like a FullSac true dual kit but leaving the stock mufflers on it. You'll probably lose a tad of torque, but with the factory restrictive mufflers still installed it probably wouldn't even be noticable. However your hubby's right thigh might benefit considerably from the reduced temperatures. The true dual kit might make the sound slightly louder, but less than a set of aftermarket slip-ons probably.

Drel

Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't do that with the stock left "muffler". It's an entirely different critter than the right. It's more of a resonating chamber, really. No way it would flow correctly with the dozen or so 5/16" or so holes which are all that differentiate the outside of the muffler tail from the inside of the muffler inlet.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

I switched out to the SE 4" slip-ons and unless I tag it they aren't much different than stock , just a bit deeper. No problem hearing the tunes, and my ears don't get hammered anymore like they did with my V&H pro-pipe

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer

I just installed the SE touring mufflers along with the SE Air Cleaner and SERT. I wanted something a bit louder than stock but not headache loud. The SE touring mufflers are a little louder than stock, but only when your getting into it. High speed cruising and normal running, the sound is similar tostock. The engineseems cooler and smoother with the new air cleaner, mufflers, synthetic oiland SERT, but I do not have a temp. gauge to confirm the difference. Even though the mixture was enriched, I checked my first gas mileage after the install and it actually improved to 46mpg from 43-45. Typically, from what I have read,most people have seen a loss of 4-5 mpg after installing a Stage 1. BONUS !!!!! I am very pleased with my choice, especially since Icould use the stock headers, which cut my cost in half instead of having to add the true duals.I understand the true duals maydecrease the bottom end torgue, which I didn't want tochange that either. Riding 2 up, I felt I wanted all the lower rpm torque I could get. Living in South Florida, I don't feel the heat unless I'm sitting at a traffic light for a while. I do expectto feel the heat from the engine at traffic stopssince my body is only a couple inches fromthe 96 cubic inch air cooled engine. For some riders, the heat is felt from the stock exhaust pipe from the back head and they change to true duals for that reason. For me it wasn't an issue.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM
stevo
Novice

If you are trying to reduce the heat in the seat area, Ive seen exhaust wrap used under the heat shields to wrap the left and right pipes of the rear cylinder and then replace the shields on top of it. Seems to have worked.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
barkster99
Tourer

Call FuelMoto and add the K&N AC and PCIII. Leave your stock pipes on. They have a MAP just for this setup. You'll be amazed at the difference. Best $420 you'll ever spend. Noticeably cooler and way smoother. Basically plug-and-play. You'll just wonder why you waited so long.

A couple week after doing upgrade above, I also added the two-piece 07 SE slipons (64985-07). At idle and cruise, they might be even quieter than stock. They have a nice tone when you get on it. Performance / heat-wise, not sure I can tell much difference. I do like the big can look.

Glad you're concerned about the hubby's family jewels. Gotta keep your priorities straight.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you 're not looking for performance gains- just temperature reduction- you don't need to increase airflow, you simply need to richen up your existing air-fuel ratio. This will definitely cool your engine down, as I'm running quiet-baffle Rush mufflers with a stock air filter (a combination that flows only marginally more air than your stock setup) with a V&H Fuel Pak EFI controller which, along with my oil cooler, made a huge difference in felt heat.
My advice would be to call Jamie at FuelMotoUSA.com at 1-877-729-4754 and see if he has a standard map available for the Power Commander III EFI controller for use with the stock breather and pipes. There's a pretty good chance one is available, and this will get you what you want without dropping a bunch of money for new pipes, air cleaner assemblies, etc.

Quick Reply: Quiet Muffler question....