Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Muffler question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quiet Muffler question....

I was in Ghost Town HD over the past weekend. They have several sets of SE slipons on the floor 50% off. May want to call and see.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 PM
fiddlefadel
Advanced

I just installed and rode my '07 RG with the SE Street Performance slip on mufflers ONE PIECE # 80491-07. these are the mufflers I have been looking for! They are way louder than stock, have a GREAT Harley growl and snarl under acceleration, just enough volume and are quiet when cruising. they also have very good performance.

In the last couple of months I have tried:

SE Street Performance Touring mufflers #64985-07-too quiet and no performance gain over the stock mufflers. I think the stock mufflers are louder. They look good, though.
Bob vic superflow (ebay)-ok sound, very little increase in performance and barky, rappy sound under throttle.
Supertrapp Se-great performance, but loud, jack-hammer sound under ANY acceleration, even from a stop-they are quiet crusing if not on power-OBNOXIUS
White Bros E series mufflers-GREAT performance-quiet-deep tone, just doesn't sound like a Harley-I have run these for years on previous bikes, wanted a different tone

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 AM
DoubLeL
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fiddlefadel

I just installed and rode my '07 RG with the SE Street Performance slip on mufflers ONE PIECE # 80491-07. these are the mufflers I have been looking for! They are way louder than stock, have a GREAT Harley growl and snarl under acceleration, just enough volume and are quiet when cruising. they also have very good performance.

In the last couple of months I have tried:

SE Street Performance Touring mufflers #64985-07-too quiet and no performance gain over the stock mufflers. I think the stock mufflers are louder. They look good, though.
Hummmm well its down to actually down to these 2... we gotta start checking around for local people who have these to hear them, cause I hate pissing money away. Don't mind spending it, as long as it's what we exactly want I've seen so many people just like yourself going thru so many to finally find the perfect match for themselves. We really do appreciate all the info that has been posted!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

the latest se street performance touring mufflers ( -07a ) is noticebly louder than the -07's also they breath much better too.
Ron

Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the street performance one piece mufflers (80491-07) about a week ago myself. They are a little louder than stock and deeper sounding but not much since they are "street legal". They do growl a bit around 3000 rpm but nothing like most aftermarket mufflers. I have them mounted with the stock headers. This combo on my '06 Ultra turned out a respectable 87HP and 92.4# TQ from a 95" build. These mufflers flow better than stock and do yield better performance numbers than stock without too much loudness. I talked to a fellow that tried several muffler sets and keeps coming back to these due to the above reasons.

Tate

Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
geojunkie
Stage II

I wanted my 07 to be just a bit louder, mainly looking for a deeper tone, and thought it could be breathing better. So at 1000 mile service had synthetic oil, stage 1 SE air cleaner, Harley ECU download, and ultimately SE one piece mufflers installed (80491-07). WOW... much better performance, bothdown low where you need it and up high for that occasional blast, the right sound quality, and it runs noticably cooler. It now seems no warmer than any of my previous Ultras (have had 3 before).

To clarify on sound, I don't like loud mufflers. I tried Samson Rolled Thunder and they were way too loud and didn't even have a good sound quality either. You could see right through them. So I switched to the SE mufflers after reading this post. They are perfect in sound quality and level, and they outperform the Samsons except perhaps at the very highest of rpms. I am sound picky and nobody would be unhappy with these unless they like bikes to be loud. They are a big improvement in sound quality over stock without bothering you, and a big improvement in performance. To provide a guage on loudness, if the stockers are a 3, the Samsons a 9, Vance and Hines 8, then the SE mufflers are about a 5. I would like to have tried the SE two-piece muffers, but the -07a are on backorder from Harley. Only reason I would take a look at them is the choice of end caps and the 4" can. The SE one-piece are 3.5", the Samsons were only 3". But, I have no regrets on what I bought.

If you want a cooler running 96, wouldn't mind better performance across the range, and would like a richer tone without being loud, then this is the hot setup. I imagine my mpg will go up too, but too early to tell.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder why the one piece SE's are a bit louder than the two pice SE's?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the "quiet" SE slip ons, get the 64985-07. These are not to be confused with earlier model SE slip ons which are significantly louder. The 64985-07s are quieter than 07 stock mufflers at idle and just maybe slightly louder when you get on it. Improved flow without the noise.