Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Muffler question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
alqaadir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Quiet Muffler question....

The SE air cleaner, ECM map and SE pipes will improve you performance. It makes the gear shift ratio much more enjoyable. Sixth gear runs great at 60mph afterwards. My SE II pipes are quieter then the stock pipes. I'm about to change them next week to rush pipes just for a little more sound.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

If you can do with out chrome (hi polished stainless) look at D & D Police Interceptors. I'm thinking of adding these for the same reasons you mentioned. Been there done that with load pipes. More interested in listening to tunes that burning up the pavement. Bike is fast enough as it is now.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Doc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed V&H Dresser Duals, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air, and V&H Fuelpak. I have both the V&H Ovals for around town and switch to the stock mufflers for long trips. The maps for both work well for the Fuelpak. The heat is reduced by more than half.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM
DoubLeL
Advanced

WOW thx 4 all the info! Seems many like the sound of the SE II "if you like quiet" which we are looking for. But I did notice the model number for those (64985-07) is different from the HD Touring pipes (which I was hoping more knew what those sounded like) (65259-00) and I also noticed on the HD website enless you actually do a search for the HD touring ones, they aren't listed. But I do see 2 different SE models. I wonder how much different of a sound between all 3 models there actually is, and if they even carry the HD Touring anymore (tho they did come up in the search).

Also "glens" is correct, the left muffler is a dummy and the sad part (which could probally go under the one topic "dumb things HD does") because of the way HD made the stock pipes (molding wise) the left must be the left and the right must be the right, shame cause if you could just place another right pipe on the left side would have been perfect! Of course after using a sert or pc3 and the A/C. Oh well, gotta love it!

Oh and Barkster, you bet I keep the priorities straight on the family jewels.... always gotta keep it straight!

Thx again all!
DoubLeL

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of the 65259-00s, an SE a/c, the HD download, a super premium oil cooler, and a PC III USB. (2005 RK)
The biggest decrease in temperature came from adding the Power Commander. I have messed around with several different maps in the PC with no satisfaction.( the PC is currently sitting in a box on the floor) A couple of the maps I tried improved things but cut too heavily into my gas mileage.

I have not had my RK go into heat management since I added the oil cooler. (still had stock slip-ons at that point) There have been plenty of times since then where I've been where it would have gone into HM in the past without the cooler.
I am contemplating putting the PC back on (solely for rideability and cooler temps) but don't want to spring the $$$ for dyno pulls just to make this setup run better. Seems like a waste.
I also like the gas mileage I currently achieve and have no desire to see it go down appreciably. I consistantly see 56 mpg (Imperial) at reasonably sane highway velocities. That works out to about 44 mpg. (U.S. gal)

I'm still on the lookout for a decent map for the 65259-00s, the SE a/c, and the Moco download. I requested and received one from Dynojet, but I had ones that delivered better results sitting in files on my computer.

CN

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer

My SE Touring Mufflers are the new 64985-07A which a couple weeks ago replaced part number 64985-07. The A mufflers are throatier than stock.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SEtouring mufflers are just a tad throatier, not really any louder. Combine them with a high-flow filter and a standard download from your dealer and you can expect a little cooler operating temps...not a lot, just a little. These mufflers are still pretty restrictive (that's why they aren't obnoxious) and the download isn't too radical as far as a richer fuel mixture. It's a good set up for what you're looking for though and I'm happy with it on my Street Glide.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I've not done the HD stage download bit so take this with a grain of salt. The download is EPA approved, therefore I'd be extremely surprised to find that it handled the heat situation in any meaningful way. In fact, I wonder how measureable the difference really is.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM
cdradar
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SE A/C, Supertrapp SE slip ons, HD stage one map, and the HD oilcooler on my 07 RK.
I'm very happy with this setup, not really loud, runs very well, and a significant decrease in temp especially with syn oil.
The Supertrapps are a little louder than stock, but very docile at cruise. They sound great, low and deep, no shattering bark, but distinctive when hard on the throttle.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I used to have D&D 2-1 Fatcats on my 06 EGC.For me they were too loud.
Ireplaced them with SE07 50 state legal pipes and they are excellent.
Good tone and not too loud for all day riding with or without radio/CD/XM.
Picked up some TQ and HP when the exhaust was switched to theSE's.

Quick Reply: Quiet Muffler question....