Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 inch Mini Apes on Ultra Limited... 1 inch or 1.25 inch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ok good to know..thanks for that info. I like the way you zip tied them and want to do mine the same way, thats why I was asking to find out. definitely better looking that the cable just sticking out... Glad I saw your pics!! definitely got a good idea from it.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:17 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser

Well, just pulled the trigger and ordered my new bars. Everywhere else was out of stock so I called KST directly this morning and they said they had them in stock. So I couldnt wait to get home to get them ordered!! I got the 10" Six Bend Kicker bars, and both sets of the wire extensions they said I needed. I did ask them about replacing the rubber factory bushings with polyurethane bushings and Ret advised me that it was not necessary and that he wouldnt swap them if it were his bike. He said he would only swap them from the rubber to the poly if I went with 12"s or higher do to the pulling leverage but on the 10's he said there really isnt much more of a pull than the stock bars. Hope he is right! I have about a 50/50 opinion from everything I have read...some changed and others said they didnt...lol..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser

Also got more good news today other than finding the bars in stock and getting them ordered. Found out a guy I know at work that rides does side work on bikes for extra play money and he said he just replaced 2 sets of bars on ultras for a couple of his buddies recently. I told him that the HD shop quoted me almost 1,200 just to install them, and that a smaller M/C shop here quote me 400 to 450 to put them on which I thought was pretty good... But the guy I know at work said he only charges 30 bucks an hour and said he just did an ultra a couple weeks ago and taking his time only took him 6 hours...so he said figure 180-220 bucks give or take. I have known this guy for about 12 years and he is a fabricator and also an electronics technician and has built and rebuilt a few of his own bikes so he definitely knows his stuff.

Watched the videos and thought about doing it myself at first when the dealer quoted almost 1,200...I am not a great mechanic by any means but I can do minor stuff. BUT, I will honestly say that I dont know jack crap about wiring!! So to be able to have someone do it for around 200 buck or so...you are doggone right I am hiring that job out!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 06:29 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,336 Likes on 2,954 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra2336
Also got more good news today other than finding the bars in stock and getting them ordered. Found out a guy I know at work that rides does side work on bikes for extra play money and he said he just replaced 2 sets of bars on ultras for a couple of his buddies recently. I told him that the HD shop quoted me almost 1,200 just to install them, and that a smaller M/C shop here quote me 400 to 450 to put them on which I thought was pretty good... But the guy I know at work said he only charges 30 bucks an hour and said he just did an ultra a couple weeks ago and taking his time only took him 6 hours...so he said figure 180-220 bucks give or take. I have known this guy for about 12 years and he is a fabricator and also an electronics technician and has built and rebuilt a few of his own bikes so he definitely knows his stuff.

Watched the videos and thought about doing it myself at first when the dealer quoted almost 1,200...I am not a great mechanic by any means but I can do minor stuff. BUT, I will honestly say that I dont know jack crap about wiring!! So to be able to have someone do it for around 200 buck or so...you are doggone right I am hiring that job out!!!
That’s a good deal.

My reasonably priced dealer charges 6 hours shop time for 12” bars and lower. I did it in 5 hours the first time.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:32 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, just pulled the trigger and ordered my new bars. Everywhere else was out of stock so I called KST directly this morning and they said they had them in stock. So I couldnt wait to get home to get them ordered!! I got the 10" Six Bend Kicker bars, and both sets of the wire extensions they said I needed. I did ask them about replacing the rubber factory bushings with polyurethane bushings and Ret advised me that it was not necessary and that he wouldnt swap them if it were his bike. He said he would only swap them from the rubber to the poly if I went with 12"s or higher do to the pulling leverage but on the 10's he said there really isnt much more of a pull than the stock bars. Hope he is right! I have about a 50/50 opinion from everything I have read...some changed and others said they didnt...lol..
I’ve picked up my bike off the pavement with 10” bars and stock bushings. (which is another bedtime story) They are fine. Really.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser

yeah i dont have enough faith in myself with the wiring. The taking the fairing off and stuff like that I have no issue with. I just went through all that a few months ago when I upgraded the speakers and boy those front ones are a PITA to swap. And I just replaced the water pump from the original stock one that caused so many troubles for many to the new M8 water pump.. those types of things I am decent at...but when there is wiring involved it is best for me to find someone else!!..hahaha

Old 08-17-2021, 06:42 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser

oh wow!!!...smiles.. the rubber ones must be a lot better than they used to be then...good to know!

just saw you've got your ride up for sale in the classified section?

Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

oh wow!!!...smiles.. the rubber ones must be a lot better than they used to be then...good to know!

just saw you've got your ride up for sale in the classified section?
It was. I sold it outside the forum last week. Then the deal fell through. Thinking it was sold for a few days, then it not being sold gave me a different perspective, so it’s off the market for now.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:58 PM
Ultra2336
Cruiser

ahhh I gotcha!... She is a SWEET looking bike. I have the opportunity to buy a 2014 Street Glide now that I am considering. Not giving up my Ultra though..lol.. A family friend passed away a couple months ago and his wife knew I loved his bike and he told her before he passed that I was to get first option if I wanted it... It is that candy red color from that year, Sunglo red I think they called it.. Very tempting..

Old 08-17-2021, 07:10 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

ahhh I gotcha!... She is a SWEET looking bike. I have the opportunity to buy a 2014 Street Glide now that I am considering. Not giving up my Ultra though..lol.. A family friend passed away a couple months ago and his wife knew I loved his bike and he told her before he passed that I was to get first option if I wanted it... It is that candy red color from that year, Sunglo red I think they called it.. Very tempting..
great color.

Quick Reply: 10 inch Mini Apes on Ultra Limited... 1 inch or 1.25 inch